Ubuntu 10.04 problem
hi
like the name implies i have a problem :P
well the thing is that sometimes (well more often now) when i start the AC my ubuntu seems to crash
but not totally
the whole screen gets black and i see some lines on bottom of screen... white ones... like you make this _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
and i keep hearing that sound which you hear when you get to log in screen... those drums or whatever they are
it seems likes its crashing all over again and again...
but i've managed to get into tty1 (although i can't read anything cuz of _ _ _ _ _ is all i can see) but i can login and reboot the PC the "healthy" way and than it's okay
but it bothers me that it appears at all...
any1 might know what might be wrong?
Thanks given by:
I don't have much info on your situation but it seems to be a problem with compiz (the gui manager) to make sure you can switch to metacity and test the game this way. you can find a small program in the repos called "compiz fusion icon" it allows you to switch modes easily or you can do it the old way by tiping "metacity --replace" in a console.
Hope it helps.
Thanks given by:
try System/Preferences/Appearance/Visual Effects : select 'none'

Also, turn off your screensaver while you play.

Also, there is an old Ubuntu issue that this COULD be, and it was b/c there was a USB plugged in @ boot. For some systems running Lucid this is still a problem. Unplug any USB (flash/media drives, not mice or cooling pads, etc) b4 starting up.

If this doesn't work, and you have an Nvidia graphics card, as a last resort you could try the ppa drivers and reconfigure X.

Honestly it's kind of hard to tell you what's wrong with such little info, but generally this kind of thing is related to your graphics in some way, meaning Xorg, Graphics Cards, Monitors, and as Nativo mentioned, Desktop effects. COMPIZ SUCKS!
Thanks given by:
Make sure you have the latest proprietary drivers for your graphics card installed. (sorry, default advice ;) )
What happens if you kill the X server (through terminal) and restart it?
Thanks given by:
emm i have graphic card integrated to my motherboard....
motherboard is asus P5QPL-AM
emm can it be connected to the PC temerature?
i think it might be connected cut seems to me it never happens in the eve....
Thanks given by:
Might be, if it's because of the temperature you should fix it asap or you'll have worst problems than not being able to play...check the coolers for dust and replace them if they don't work properly or don't work at all...Remove all dirt from the case...and then check if the problem remains...
Thanks given by:
em i've just did that... kinda a 2 weeks ago. but i think the problem is that my pc sometimes get started (not by me) in the morning running all day in closed room and than when i get home it's kinda really hot in the room cuz it's westbound so than it might happen to show up this problem.... but im not sure bout that
that's why i keep turning it off :P
Thanks given by:
it's not temperature :P
now im testing the maticity :P
Thanks given by: