Assault Cube Lite: 160mb to 41.8mb and download size 30mb
Ok so basically I deleted all the unnecessary files (docs, server etc.) to make this small portable version of AC. I assume you know how to play so you don't need the reference and I assume you won't be setting up servers on the go. I also downgraded images and/or replaced the with more LQ images or my own because I'm a speed hog. Tell me what you think.
Some material is owned by other people claim it please.
Thanks given by:
Nice job
Thanks given by:
I know I have seen a "portable" version of AC somewhere before, but I don't know if they optimised it or just installed it on a thumb drive ;D
Nice job!
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys :D ya that version was old. Edit: Googled it http://portableapps.com/apps/games/assaultcube_portable it is updated but mine is smaller and faster :D
Thanks given by:
GG mate
Thanks given by:
All who download it, don't forget to check hash from sourceforge.net !!
Thanks given by:
D1551D3N7 Wrote:160mb to 41.8mb and download size 30mb

Do you have any clue what you've done? :D

The official download is only 45-50 mb. The extra space you said it has comes from all the extra files and maps you've downloaded. Deleting simple text files wont save you that much speed.
Thanks given by:
Theres no point because I changed files. Read the .bat and you will see that nothing is wrong. The hashes will be totally different because mine is also zipped. So yeah think before you speak.
Edit:@Viper Aww damn I used my install as a base. Do maps really take up 120mb?! Meh it still a bit faster (simpler graphics do speed it up) and the installer is compressed i think so maybe I did make a change :)
Edit2: [Image: filesizes.bmp] That maps folder has at least 1000 maps so I made changes. My mod folder is 62mb so 100mb to 41.8mb
Thanks given by:
The thing is, there's (absolutely) no direct correlation between install size and speed. Or did I miss something?
Thanks given by:
So you removed a bunch of important information, downgraded some textures, and slapped your own startscreen on it. Nice work.

I'm seriously considering removing that download link. This package is a farce.

(20 May 11, 09:14PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: Ok so basically I deleted all the unnecessary files (docs, server etc.)

wtf.
Thanks given by:
(20 May 11, 10:14PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: So yeah think before you speak.

Sorry, I must have missed the fact that I was completely right in saying your maps and files (yes, this means mods.. xD) are increasing the size of "your" vanilla package.

Oh wait. It was you who should've thought. :D

(20 May 11, 10:14PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: Edit2: [Image: filesizes.bmp] That maps folder has at least 1000 maps so I made changes.

... Mine has 1800 and is 20 MB. O.o

Also i think you might have missed the part where it says that folder contains 615 or something files. Not to mention that many of them are .cfg files instead of .cgz's. Never assume when you're trying to make a point.

(20 May 11, 10:14PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: My mod folder is 62mb so 100mb to 41.8mb

Exactly...
Thanks given by:
Read the license please. You are working outside of the scope of it. Portable stuff is fine and all, but removing critical information and downgrading image files is NOT in our intend at all, as are archives of heavily modded clients.
Doing this for fun and private use is fine, but don't offer this to the general public please.
Thanks given by:
Oh, wow.

[Image: this_thread_rocks.jpg]

By the way, deleting the docs or not wouldn't have made a difference in file size, it's just text.
Thanks given by:
(21 May 11, 12:24AM)makkE Wrote: Read the license please. You are working outside of the scope of it. Portable stuff is fine and all, but removing critical information and downgrading image files is NOT in our intend at all, as are archives of heavily modded clients.
Doing this for fun and private use is fine, but don't offer this to the general public please.
Ok I did it for my USB stick and thought I'd share but sure. It isn't exactly heavily modded its optimised, are we allowed to do that? I'll take down the link.

(21 May 11, 01:03AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Oh, wow.

[Image: this_thread_rocks.jpg]

By the way, deleting the docs or not wouldn't have made a difference in file size, it's just text.
1.5mb and every byte counts on my USB :)

(20 May 11, 11:44PM)Viper Wrote:
(20 May 11, 10:14PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: So yeah think before you speak.

Sorry, I must have missed the fact that I was completely right in saying your maps and files (yes, this means mods.. xD) are increasing the size of "your" vanilla package.

Oh wait. It was you who should've thought. :D
I was referring to Alien. Thanks Viper for making a good argument :D
Thanks given by:
(21 May 11, 01:03AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: [Image: this_thread_rocks.jpg]
[Image: badthread.png]

Thanks given by:
64.5 on a 3g USB with all my mods worx like a charm for me. I am a speed-freak too, so all my weapon/player textures are half-size and I have BARE minimum settings. This is about as optimal as AC can get IMHO. "Optimize" AC much more than it already is and you will "optimize" it right out of existence. Next thing you know we will be playing "Assaultcube Text-Based v1.0"

Thanks given by:
delete menus, real men don't need menus
Thanks given by:
Delete AC. Real men write ENet packets by hand.
Thanks given by:
[Image: real_programmers.png]

@Boomhauer: I believe someone was (perhaps jokingly) working on a text-based AssaultCube.
You are in an underground bunker. A helicopter hovers overhead, as rappelling ropes dangle from it. Exits are to the North and East.

> shoot RVSF

You cannot see any RVSF here.

> reload

Your curmag is already full.

> suicide

You suicided! -1 frag, +1 death.
Current score: 0 -1  1  0

> _
Thanks given by:
^ I knew someone was going to post that.
Thanks given by:
xkcd FTW! :D

Since we're talking about downloads... [Image: estimation.png]
Thanks given by:
(22 May 11, 08:02AM)MykeGregory Wrote:
(21 May 11, 01:03AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: [Image: this_thread_rocks.jpg]
[Image: badthread.png]
Lol nice

(22 May 11, 08:21AM)Boomhauer Wrote: 64.5 on a 3g USB with all my mods worx like a charm for me. I am a speed-freak too, so all my weapon/player textures are half-size and I have BARE minimum settings. This is about as optimal as AC can get IMHO. "Optimize" AC much more than it already is and you will "optimize" it right out of existence. Next thing you know we will be playing "Assaultcube Text-Based v1.0"
ok lol. I have 8GB USB Stick but I have 4 OS's and a huge hacking kit that i use on school pc's and library pcs etc so the more space I have the more stuff I can have on it.

(22 May 11, 03:12PM)V-Man Wrote: [Image: real_programmers.png]
@Boomhauer: I believe someone was (perhaps jokingly) working on a text-based AssaultCube.
You are in an underground bunker. A helicopter hovers overhead, as rappelling ropes dangle from it. Exits are to the North and East.

> shoot RVSF

You cannot see any RVSF here.

> reload

Your curmag is already full.

> suicide

You suicided! -1 frag, +1 death.
Current score: 0 -1  1  0

> _
I lol'd

Thanks given by:
(22 May 11, 03:12PM)V-Man Wrote: @Boomhauer: I believe someone was (perhaps jokingly) working on a text-based AssaultCube.
It was in the offtopic section, of course it was a joke. ;)
Thanks given by:
Aw. And here I was playing Zork as a form of practice in anticipation of AssaultTextCube.
Thanks given by: