Good Graphics card that works well on Ubuntu?
I want a cheapy grafikz card that works on Linux to replace my Geforce FX 1400. This looks prestty attractive. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
I had a GeForce 8400 GS with 512MB memory before. It was pretty nice, considering it only cost about £30.

EDIT: Btw, you can get a Radeon HD5770 which is slightly faster for the same price, and AFAIK ATI's Linux drivers are better than nVidia's.
Thanks given by:
radeon HD series is a nice place to look.
Thanks given by:
Integrated all the way! XD
(Intel 915GM Express, 128MB(!))
Thanks given by:
Assaultcube can run on next to nothing graphics wise. I can pull 100fps just fine with an integrated Intel 4500HD chip.
Thanks given by:
I get more FPS than I can use on Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT with proprietary drivers. http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-860...782&sr=8-5
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but I don't want Duke Nukem lagging while kicking ass and chewing bubble gum when (if FTW) it comes out.
Thanks given by:
Aah. Duke Nukem Forever? Nice. You'll need more than an 8400 for that xD

I'd go with the HD5770.
Thanks given by:
You sure you need such a high-end graphics card just to render the text "Coming soon"? ;)

Now on-topic: The proprietary drivers for Linux seem to have significantly improved over the past years, especially AMD's (I've never used an AMD card tho). Personally, I'm quite happy with my crappy Geforce 9300. But if you want to play any recent high-profile game, you'll probably need something better.
Thanks given by:
From my experience, the Linux drivers for integrated Intel cards are a long way behind the windows driversand aren't really adequate for playing AC well. Nvidia drivers are pretty good at the moment with support for all the latest cards, but I haven't done any windows/Linux speed comparisons on them.

Thanks given by:
Well, from my experience, the Nvidia drivers are pretty much equal on Windows and Linux. However, intense graphics stuff can be made a lot faster on Linux, because you can simply kill the window manager while you're playing. That really makes a difference, just compare AC with and without compiz running.
Thanks given by:
GTX 460 looks even better. I mean, here's bench marks for 5770 and 460.
Thanks given by: