My FPS must be at 0.05
Whenever I try to do something, bring up menus with esc, move the gun aiming, etc., it takes a few seconds before it responds, then freezes again! Very frustrating. Nvidia quadro fx 1400 on ubuntu 11.04, btw.
Thanks given by:
Try lowering your textures.
Thanks given by:
You may not have the correct drivers for your card. Make sure that you can run openGL on your card, and that it is enabled.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Screenshot.png]
looks like openGL is "on"...
Thanks given by:
Can you run other 3D games? Like Quake3/ioQuake-based ones, Sauerbraten, etc.
Thanks given by:
you should try the ppa driver if nothing else worx. But Nvidia is terrible with Linux compatibility. Did you try System/Administration/HardwareDrivers ? Next time if you KNOW you are going to be using Linux, use radeon.
Thanks given by:
My friend has a 9500 and he had this issue with all OpenGL games. Try going back a couple of driver versions.
Thanks given by:
ATI is much worse from what the experiences in the cube-community have shown, Boomhauer. But that specific card hamolton has (Nvidia quadro fx 1400) seems to be a bit special in its own right, which is always linked to issues when living in a linux world - so that much is true: check before you buy, whether or not your hardware will be supported under linux.
A quick search told me the "quadro"-series does basically ("often") use GeForce GPUs, but it doesn't seem to be guaranteed, nor is this synonymous with it being compatible with the drivers used for GeForce .. this is probably the cause of the problems. The wikipedia-article spoke of it being a "professional gfx-card", and mentioned specific signed-drivers required to unlock bonus features on the card - it's not meant for playing, it's meant for use in CAD-systems and the like. Get a good gaming-card and the linux drivers will work as intended :-)
Thanks given by:
Aha, I got it in a computer for used $160 (w/ a 3.2GHz Pentium D!) from some company upgrading to brand new Dells. no harm done :) I think Nexuiz(built on Quake 1 FTW!) is cross platform, so I'll try to copy that from my Win partition b4 trying to download any 1GB game on my 2.56mB/S interwebz c0nnecti0n.
Thanks given by:
Downloaded the nexuiz package because didn't know how to get it to work from the folder. Tried to run, screen went blank, music played, forced shutoff :P
Thanks given by:
people, people .. don't shutdown your box in linux, go to a console (Ctrl+Alt+[F1..F6]), login and kill any offending process - this isn't windows AKA rebooting-OS.
Oh .. and hamolton don't double-post, you could've simply edited your own last post with this "update" .. not to mention that it's almost totally off-topic.
To see about what OpenGL capabilities you have you can either run
glxgears -i|grep GL_
or simply take a look at the first couple of lines of log from your AssaultCube .. to avoid it taking over the entire X-screen you might want to call it with the additional arguments: -w800 -h600 -t. You could change the w/h args to your preference, the important switch is the -t, for windowed-mode. HTH
Thanks given by:
(03 May 11, 11:36AM)flowtron Wrote: people, people .. don't shutdown your box in linux, go to a console (Ctrl+Alt+[F1..F6]), login and kill any offending process
That doesn't work if you have an SDL game running in fullscreen (it takes over keyboard controls from X). In case of emergency, Alt+SysRq+K will kill the X server (although even that isn't absolutely reliable).

(03 May 11, 11:36AM)flowtron Wrote: not to mention that it's almost totally off-topic.
No. I asked.
(02 May 11, 02:30PM)tempest Wrote: Can you run other 3D games? Like Quake3/ioQuake-based ones, Sauerbraten, etc.
Thanks given by:
For your nexuiz problem, it's possible that nexuiz started with an unfitting screen refresh rate. Open the nexuiz config and look for something called r_displayrefresh, or refresh.. could have a vid_ prefix as well. Set it to a value your monitor can handle, or set the game to run in a window.
Thanks given by:
I should try playing in the pubs with this... anyhow...
here's the command line stuff! Don't make fun of me.
Using home directory: /home/randy/.assaultcube_v1.1
current locale: en_US.UTF-8
init: sdl
init: net
init: world
init: video: sdl
init: video: mode
init: video: misc
init: gl
Renderer: Quadro FX 1400/PCI/SSE2 (NVIDIA Corporation)
Driver: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06
init: console
init: sound
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1613:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1613:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Audio devices: PulseAudio Software, ALSA Software
Sound: PulseAudio Software / OpenAL Soft (OpenAL Community)
Driver: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.12.854
init: cfg
init: models
init: docs
init: localconnect
read map packages/maps/official/ac_douze.cgz rev 17 (1920 milliseconds)
Douze (AC-Version) by makkE - layout by stanze
loaded textures (307 milliseconds)
loaded mapmodels (0 milliseconds)
loaded mapsounds (352 milliseconds)
game mode is "TDM"
init: mainloop

Thanks given by:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125333 :D
Thanks given by:
for a $160 computer? O_o
Thanks given by:
You might have better luck with the 260.19.x-release of the driver and/or you're just exposing a need for us (*cough* meaning eihrul) to fix new issues with the new driver in new code .. but again, with that card you might just be in that "special territory" - where linux isn't for the hardware you're trying to run it on.
Does anyone else here use that driver-release (270.41.06) - what's the mileage?
Thanks given by:
Just an idea: try /audio 0 and restart.

And something else: does it run faster if you scale the window down to some really ridiculous size (like 100x100)?
Thanks given by: