import walls/floorplan into map
I am looking at AssaultCube as a possible training tool for our security guards at our facility. (if a better tool exists, let me know, doesn't have to be free).

Basically, a lot of our officers are stationed at certain positions to be ready to protect our location. I won't get into details for certain reasons, but they are armed with automatic weapons. They are allowed to read, watch movies, whatever it takes to stay alert until called to action. They have PC's in these locations, and the idea was presented to me what if we could make a map of the buildings here that they could run through virtual exercises with each other.

To that end, is there a way to import into the map editor a floor plan without having to manually draw all the walls with the editor?

I haven't found it yet, but can I also insert non-combatants?

Just a few basic questions before I get too much time invested in this.
Thanks given by:
I honestly don't know what you said, but I'm taking a guess, that you're trying to make a map, in assaultcube, for people at this "facility" to do courses through, to be better prepared to defend the real facility, IRL if so, you should ask a team of mappers, i.e Bukz, Halo, ExodusS, DaylixX, Brett (just suggestions) if they'd take some time out to help you.

And remember to thank them, if they do ;)
Thanks given by:
There used to be such a tool, yes! But I dont know where you can get it as its thread is lost with the old forum.

If the building has more than one floor, Cube2: Sauerbraten may be a better choice altough its physics and weapons sci - fi.
Thanks given by:
Quote:I haven't found it yet, but can I also insert non-combatants?

/addbot or /addnbot (both require being in a bot mode) and /botsshoot 0, if you want the "non-combatants" to not move, use /idlebots 1.

(You can't currently add bots to a multiplayer game on the server.)

command reference
Thanks given by:
There used to be mapmodels of the playermodels but again, I dont know where to find them -.-

They wouldnt move or shoot tho.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 07:46PM)Robtics Wrote: There used to be mapmodels of the playermodels but again, I dont know where to find them -.-

Thanks given by:
Yes, I guess I could have worded the question a little better.

I thought it would be advantageous to have a FPS game based on our facility. It would give them something to keep active, and maybe at the same time discover some weaknesses and advantages in the real world layout. I would host locally on a server. Was basically looking for a way to save time creating the maps / walls without having to draw them all manually in the gui editor.
Thanks given by:
Take some pics of the facility, idk just a suggestion, and give them to some people who volunteer to help.
Thanks given by:
Well, luckily I was able to find an old map visual editor, that still works.

It basicly allows you to draw a map in .RAW format and then using an executable it turns to a real AC map.

https://rapidshare.com/files/459156902/yammod.zip

HTH!

EDIT: what Robtics was talking about http://www.akimbo.in/files/index.php?act=view&id=287
Thanks given by:
You can also download from the ..... in my reply to Robtics ...
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 08:08PM)Duckett Wrote: You can also download from the ..... in my reply to Robtics ...

Sorry.... I didn't notice it... :/

* Andrez hides
Thanks given by:
they're different files and the one Andrez posted only includes the playermodels ;)

turbo84gn, idk if AC is the right game. do you know the FPS creator? that might be the best solution for you as you're willing to pay
Thanks given by:
You'll end up drawing out the floor plan no matter what, IMO. If the Yam Mod doesn't work for you (I could never get it to play nicely with my system), send me the floor plan and I can look at the coordinates for the walls and doorways. I could write you a script that builds the walls for you, but it'd only take you part of the way. You'll have to figure out ceiling and floor height (this includes windows) on your own time, as well as textures and mapmodels.
Thanks given by:
Also, as Robtics said above, if your facility has multiple levels, an engine that supports multiple levels and properly three-dimensional maps (as opposed to the semi-faked 3D of the Cube (what AssaultCube uses) engine) would be better for your purposes. The Cube 2 engine and Sauerbraten would do this, although it doesn't have the realistic theme that AssaultCube does.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the good replies. And yes, we have more than two floors. In fact, some of the BRE's are on top of the buildings. We have 100ft between the lowest point and highest point. To make some of you guys' mouth water, we are getting two ROWS (look it up :) in the next month or two.

I will take a look at the FPS Creator Robtics mentioned. I just downloaded the free version to evaluate. For the millions we spent in security upgrades, $100 for a software program is nothing.

I think I came to the right place to start my search at least :) Thanks for all the help.
Thanks given by:
I would suggest you look at an engine that will provide you with some scripting system for advanced AI if you want to make this a worthwile thing. You could simulate random intruders with different behaviour, for example, and have your employees' alter egos interact with them.
Ac is not really suitable for this without some serious efforts in coding.

If you are really serious about this, I would suggest finding an engine or mod that deals with realistic settings. Then try to find a mapper and a scripter to make a special minimod for you. I would start my search in the unreal 2004 realm, this engine is known for it's powerful scripting, and there are several mods out for it already that deal in realism and realistic settings.

I'm sure there'd be some mappers out there who'd be thrilled by the idea that they'd rebuild an exsisting building for security training purposes :)

Also, maybe you can get some folks intrested at moddb.com - wouldn't hurt to post your idea on their forum, they might have better advice to give than I have.
Thanks given by:
Site license for Call of duty? :O
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 03:00PM)turbo84gn Wrote: For the millions we spent in security upgrades, $100 for a software program is nothing.

Just had to say this...
[sarcasm]
Yes, I truly believe you are part of an organization that has spent millions of dollars on security upgrades. That is why you are advertising yourself on the first open source FPS forum you could find. You surely are trying to use AC for training highly skilled security guards, because that completely makes sense. I myself could now kill Jason Bourne and James Bond at the same time, having played AC for two years.
[/sarcasm]
Thanks given by:
One more thing...

Won't some of your guards be better at playing an FPS than others? How could your skill at actually aiming a gun and firing possibly improve by playing an FPS simulated mockup of your facility? Why not take them to the range and do physical workouts? Maybe at some time period when you can, run a "situation" in the building itself.

"snipped"
not relevant i guess...
Thanks given by:
Does it matter what he wants it for? It sounds like he just wants to entertain the guards, with some real value in it.

Maybe try LANing tetris. They might not get up when they need to.
Thanks given by:
Wow, thanks for the sarcasm. For real training, we actually use blanks with lasers and vests, it's called miles gear. Plus a multitude of other things. Since I'm the IT guy, and I know the officers pretty well, they asked me if there was a way to make a game environment to help some of their down time. Ronald_Reagan had it right. This will NOT replace the real training that these guys/gals go through continuously. It's not an official company project, just a side thing to help the guys out.

As for advertising myself, notice I said nothing about what we do, where we are, or anything. Sorry I sound offended, I just didn't see it coming. But putting myself in your shoes, I would be doubtful too. But hey, it's actually in my best interest that you not believe me :)

Did some reading in FPS Creator last night, it looks a lot more like what we may want.
Thanks given by:
Actually, my apologies for what I said, it was rude and out of line. Not really sure why I posted that.
And no, you do not sound offended at all, you are actually being really reasonable considering how rude I was.
Thanks given by:
Even if he is completely making it up, it's still an interesting problem to consider.
Thanks given by:
True dat.
Unfortunately, I don't think this game is going to get close to being able to manage to provide a map like the one the OP describes :(
Without serious platform mapmodel abuse anyway :D
Also, I'm guessing 100ft would probably be difficult to keep within the 30 cubes average height requisite (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use the imperial system typically)

GL and HF anyways!
Thanks given by:
It's difficult to compare cubes to feet. Anyone know a reliable unit conversion rate?
Thanks given by:
according to physics.cpp, it is 4 cubes per meter (line 353)
though this seems funny, because the average human height is ~1.7 meters, but the player height is around 5 cubes isn't it?
Of course, you have to take into consideration the disclaimer at the beginning of physics.cpp
Thanks given by:
So, 1 cube is about 10 inches (9.8425 inches, 0.82021 feet)?
If so, then
1 cube = 9.8425 inches
1 cube = 0.82021 feet
1 cube = 0.25 meters
1 foot = 1.2192 cubes
1 meter = 4 cubes
Meaning 100 ft = about 122 cubes.

Thanks for that enlightening exposition. :D
Thanks given by:
which means that rifle@camper is ~115ft tall in some places. Fall damage, where art thou??
Thanks given by:
(29 Apr 11, 04:48AM)Lantry Wrote: which means that rifle@camper is ~115ft tall in some places. Fall damage, where art thou??

So you're saying that the devs should do ALL the work of coding in fall damage... just for some nooby maps?
:P

Edit: (that would take away from cooler/ more important things ;) )
Thanks given by:
Fall damage has no place in cube :P

All I can say for sure is, that one cube equals 16 quake units, Aardapple said.
Thanks given by: