[split] AssaultCube Score stuff
Headshot is harder (yes it's harder) than all differents frags.

HS is really more than a simple frag (or a newbie splat)...
Thanks given by:
Zarj,

In "Brahma's world", the scoreboard would present score (from the score system), kills and deaths. The flag number would be a team stat, not a personal one.

Well... "Brahma's world" is not perfect, you must remember. There we would be playing an endless ctf ac_douze. :P
Thanks given by:
What about team's score is determined by Frags, but within the teams is determined by Score?
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 01:33AM)Brahma Wrote: Well... "Brahma's world" is not perfect, you must remember.

You got that right.

V-Man :: As for the frags what's the difference? How about if I want to stop someone from winning in points I stand still just as they're about to headshot me. Then they'll only get 1 point instead of the 2 they deserved. It's pointless to argue and change points. The 2 point reward is a reason to learn the sniper. Without the weapon will be dead. Splats are visually cool. That's why we play the Shotgun. The grenades have already been terminally screwed. They lost their 2 point gibs and their mechanics. Now it's worthless. Changing the sniper's points will do the same.

Thanks given by:
Another reason for headshots being a single point is that the less players need to worry about headshots the more they will attack. I remember the huge pressure that was removed when the grenades were made to do just one point. However grenade kills tend to be less skilled whereas there is a definite case for headshots being additionally rewarded due to their difficulty.

(25 Apr 11, 11:58PM)Zarj Wrote: Deaths are further to the right on the scoreboard...

My scoreboard showed frags, deaths and then score in that order. I don't believe I've changed any settings, nor do I have any mods so I assume that this is the default order.
Thanks given by:
Grenade kills aren't less skilled. They require more skill than a sniper. You have to aim that pos red dot crosshair at a small little head? Awww... poor baby. Practice enough and it'll be easy as 1-2-3. You have to cook grenades, you have to AIM grenades, and you have to time them to go off at just the right moment. I've had quite a few WTFs lately because of grenades blowing up right in someone's face and not doing a thing to them. The internal bleeding alone should kill them. AC used to have 6 weapons. Now it only has 4 1/2. When grenades were shrimped it essentially desecrated a true profession, that of the Grenadier. Now people are trying to kill another one? How much longer will this continue? Would you all like to play with "Slappers Only!"?
Thanks given by:
Easy win, add a 'kills' tab next to the deaths tab, remove the frags tab. It's a win win.
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 02:29AM)Hav0c Wrote: Easy win, add a 'kills' tab next to the deaths tab, remove the frags tab. It's a win win.

Yes this is part of what I tried to say. Why do we have two weighted columns in score screen?
Thanks given by:
Well, that would be a solution. Not sure how the community would handle it, since I think if that would be added something else would need to be implemented for the knife, snipers, etc., kills to be rewarded with something.
Thanks given by:
The main problem it seems is with the instant gratification of playing the game. Those who are skilled enough to headshot often deserve something tangible and concrete for their efforts and skill. Personally, medals and achievements don't do much for my ego.

Possibly create a points system for each type of kill where movement, distance and accuracy play into how much the kill counts for points. Obviously this would be extremely complicated and leave every player completely confused though.

My solution to avoiding headshots has always been to jump and alter the vertical horizons.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 09:20PM)Brahma Wrote: Sometimes, simplicity is a complex thing.
If you enter in this dark fog, you will find people advocating to remove the crouch, for example.
that's not part of what i call complexity
:P
Thanks given by:
F1, but if you reduce smg,sg and AR to 0.5 for frag. :)
Thanks given by:
So is there going to be a score that reflects the amount of time a player has been on the server? Ratio whores (and just joineds) aside, the one good thing about the old ratio was that you could quickly evaluate how well someone is doing. The problem with the current score, though, is that it, like kills or flags, depend on how long you've been playing on the server. If you have a noob that's played from the start of the round and pro who joined a minute ago and they both have the same score, how will you tell how good they're actually playing? This type of score, frankly, is only a little more help than just looking at kills and flags.

Unless there's a such feature and I never just came across it. Come to think of it, since I've bothered to write more than two sentences of a missing feature, there's a very good chance that it does actually exist.

Oh well.
Thanks given by:
@ JMM

What about create a new ratio (personal, showing only in your HUD, and not in the scoreboard): score per connection time?

Actually the server already uses this value to balance the teams.
Thanks given by:
I like the idea, but it would be useless for quickly evaluating the performance of others. I really wouldn't care about my own performance all that much, just how my mates are standing. Though to be fair, in an ideal world I'd do away with the individual scores altogether and have the scoreboard only display scores on a per-team basis, but that ain't happening.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Hav0c.
Additionally, when we´re moving the scoreboard from a k/d oriented one to a point oriented one, i´d like some kind of flag scores participation for the whole team. For example the one who scores a flag gets 10 points and each team member gets 2 points. We should care more about team´s achievements and less about those of individuals.
Then, a kill and/or death board makes sense for ranking individual skills. And this shouldn´t contain the "2 kills" but only 1 kill for a headshot while it is rewarded with the doubled amount of normal kill points. (Played) Time units would make sense as well.
The next step, and that should be really one of the most important tasks, is creating a new player model: so that head, torso, legs have got separate hitboxes, and separated armour for head and torso. This would be more beneficial for anyone with skills at a certain weapon. It would increase the efficiency of weapons for certain situations, tactics, maps - and preferences of the gamer, while it would decrease the weapon balance problems - and the best thing is: having several weapons (different damage, accuracy, firing rate) would MAKE SENSE!
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 03:11PM)Greifenstein Wrote: ...The next step, and that should be really one of the most important tasks, is creating a new player model: so that head, torso, legs have got separate hitboxes, and separated armour for head and torso. This would be more beneficial for anyone with skills at a certain weapon. It would increase the efficiency of weapons for certain situations, tactics, maps - and preferences of the gamer, while it would decrease the weapon balance problems - and the best thing is: having several weapons (different damage, accuracy, firing rate) would MAKE SENSE!

it'd involve even more work in the damage values, just for start each weapon damage settled by leg,torso and head, but also affected by kevlar and helmet, and shotgun by distance and both things stated before, it may imply lot of work, and to be honest seeing the way the game is wouldn't worth it.(hint: lag complaints, and that's just the peak of the iceberg).

the efficiency of weapons, here, is mostly judged by speed and damage vs others weapons, the weapon balance is quite a very fine line and test even more kinds of damage would just be a point with no return.

if ever come to happend, i wish every weapon is finally completed that we can think in further changes.

2¢.
Thanks given by:
I just don´t see no point in changing weapon balances over and over again, while the game itself stagnated since v0.93. Why putting all the effort into that instead of bringing something new into future releases. And i also don´t mean new weapons by this - looking at the carbine, which is going to become completely useless in my opinion, regarding the discussions about v1.1.0.5.

But BTT, speaking about score stuff for the immediate next release the things i said in the upper part of my post there shall be the way to do it :D
Thanks given by:
there is nothing wrong with being a "ratio whore". honestly the title is degrading. I try very hard to stay alive . I see that as part of the game. I dont understand the problem w/ that
Thanks given by:
It is a problem in modes such as CTF, where the objective is not to archieve a ratio, but to help your team win. (Scoring as many flags as possible yourself is NOT the objective either!)
Thanks given by:
Btw, regarding the headshot, in TOSOK and OSOK it should remain 2-frag worhty.
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 05:49PM)tempest Wrote: It is a problem in modes such as CTF, where the objective is not to archieve a ratio, but to help your team win. (Scoring as many flags as possible yourself is NOT the objective either!)

The longer you stay alive, the more chances to assist with flag, or defend, or return. staying alive means you are continuously available to back-up your team-mates. Keep in mind, I am not defending those that back out of a firefight to defend the flag to get more health. *But those that attempt to stay alive are simply playing the game... even in CTF.

*Download this demo and watch your|oNe|name for a good example ;P http://www.mediafire.com/?snk1s7681031ptc
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 02:15AM)MorganKell Wrote: How about if I want to stop someone from winning in points I stand still just as they're about to headshot me.
You can really tell when you're about to get headshot? If so, why not use those skills to dodge it entirely?
Thanks given by:
Doesn't score evaluate how well someone is doing? You lose points for deaths, and gain points for kills. Want a timer, look at frags and deaths. Really isn't that hard :P
Thanks given by:
Exactly! so much work has been put into the score that I don't understand why it hasn't been used as the primary object (not including flags). Currently, the score doesn't matter, just flags and kills.

though i must say, one reason the score points looks like the best option right now is probably cause nobody has really looked at it before. If the score gets switched with the kills on the scoreboard, I can almost guarantee that the amount of points awarded for a kill will become part of the weapon balance argument.
Thanks given by:
There should be different rewards for headshots and stuff... RR, nice idea.

I don't wanna flame or start, but... the sniper should be different. IRL, no one is going to run around doing noscope headshots. But in AC, no one likes campers. So, the sniper should have more power on different hitboxes.
Thanks given by:
[ratio]

In my mind, ratio should be present, but only in gamemodes where kills are the only objective. In Flag modes, ratio should be replaced by Flags. This way ratio is only included when it can (most of the time) be a measurement of your play.

[/ratio]

[headshots]

IMHO, headshots could possibly be valued at only one point. The only way i would be ok with this, is if the area of a headshot was increased by just a tiny amount. If this happened, the instant-kill would be enough of a reward for me, personally.

[/headshots]
Thanks given by: