How to enforce gameplay?
After a while of playing T/OSOK on public servers I got to like knifing and wanted to develop my skill in that, but it's hard to do when everyone else shoots you from across the map. I'd played in knife only games but those were just normal public servers where the current players had decided to play knife only and got everyone to agree or kick those who wouldn't. This doesn't happen enough though.

So what I did was made a server, osok.kicks-ass.org, got it registered, and put in a bunch of bright red asterisked text about how the server is KNIFE ONLY and if you shoot we'll kick etc. etc.

The problem is that every time I connect to it I find a bunch of people shooting each other. (Does no one read MOTD/desc?) What am I supposed to do with that? I don't want to change the game they're already playing. Even when I do get together people who want knife only, more come in who want to shoot and disregard any messages to the contrary. Obviously I'm admin so I can kick/ban "trouble" but at this rate I'd have to kick half the public server userbase, including many good players I respect.

So I'm asking more experienced server ops what the best way is to handle this. Is there a way to make it more obvious? I already have excessive messages in the MOTD and description. Should I just run a general T/OSOK server with the suggestion that it's primarily knife only, and tolerate shooting when the consensus decides it?

Thanks. :)
Thanks given by:
Well theres your problem right there.
* DrauL fixes plumbing
But really, no there isnt. Not until there is a server switch that allows knife only. You will just have to kick 'em.
Thanks given by:
Ha. :P
I wish for that, then. In the mean time I'll work with it. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
No probz mate.
Thanks given by:
play lss in maps that have no nade(/pistol) pickups.

though, usign knife against guns is a good way to train yourself.
Thanks given by:
Agree with JMM.
Also, kicking people for playing a game mode you don't like is not a good solution, and probably borderline admin abuse.
Thanks given by:
Yes, I thought of that too. I'm not sure about it. I think also that if a server is labelled and meant for a gametype it seems acceptable to enforce that. For now I'm not interfering - public votes can handle it if the players want knife only, else what am I going to do to stop a 16-slot full of people anyway.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 10, 03:27PM)U|Zarj Wrote: Agree with JMM.
Also, kicking people for playing a game mode you don't like is not a good solution, and probably borderline admin abuse.

If he has set it up for a specific reason, and the server says that, its his right to enforce it. His server, he can do what he wants.
Thanks given by:
Modify the source code for the server to allow knife only. Or modify the maps and remove all nades from them (name the maps different like ac_desert_nonades) and tell the servers to use the modified versions. The AC community is hardcore anything custom even if it's on your own server however so I don't know how well it will go over with them.
Thanks given by:
Zomg, AFAIK modifying the source code of a server is not allowed. I've heard this but just now I remembered Brahma's servers that told you how far the headshots were but the devs weren't that cranky with that. Maybe you need permission?
Thanks given by:
imho...this is stupid.

if you want knife only, play lss!
you cant edit official maps to get rid of nades..right?
and you cant have LSS_BRASIL running all day on your map rot either

so unless you want to restrict your server to only allow the lss game type (ask someone else i dont know how) then ditch this idea..

why not make it a clan server for .Fs*| ?? or a match one
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 10, 10:32PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Zomg, AFAIK modifying the source code of a server is not allowed. I've heard this but just now I remembered Brahma's servers that told you how far the headshots were but the devs weren't that cranky with that. Maybe you need permission?
I think the rule was that modifications which changed the actual gameplay were not allowed. Since vanilla AC allows knife-onlying (lss w/o nades), IDK if modding the server knife-only would be "illegal" but it's certainly a gray area. Changing officials, well, I've seen some mods of official maps that were actually good (IMO) but they are -apparently- frowned upon, so I don't think changing them would be a good idea.
Thanks given by:
you sound like them funktards who bitch about you shooting them (cause they are playing ac_reach_round gemma on a pub) and at the same time you are guilty of master abuse.

----- HEY STOPSHOOTINGME GODAMMMMMMMMITTTT

and we laughed
Thanks given by:
If you want to improve on your knife skills, practice using knife against gunners.
Thanks given by:
"Zomg, AFAIK modifying the source code of a server is not allowed"
But it's open souce. You can do whatever you want to the source code. It's up to the Assault Cube devs however what can show up on the masterserver or not. If you run the server without connecting to the offical masterserver then you can do w/e you want. This is one of the reasons AC needs a alternative masterserver imo, so we can play without having to ask can I do xyz in my server.
Thanks given by:
i've been in his server the 1st time it showed up the list.
and his Maprot is default last time i check. But he didn't vote shitty maps.( last time i was there)
then once his server started 2 play Crappy maps. i stop going in.(im saying noobs r voting Shitty maps)
Thanks given by:
Yeah, people are sometimes voting in gema maps or little Brasil or whatever but I'll look into it later. I took off the KNIFE ONLY description since everyone ignored it anyway. I guess I'll just wait for knife only as a feature.
Thanks given by:
Try playing LSS with only knife instead Jack.
Thanks given by:
One extreme idea, possibly the only one that would work (for now!), is recreate the official maps without grenades. Then you could play LSS, without the fear of grenades. You would have to make sure players cant vote on new modes or maps, and you would have to rename the modified official maps, but other than that it would work. Also, it would be a good idea to talk to the devs about this idea before doing it, because they might not be so psyched about you modifying the official maps. If they did let you do it, probably would be under guidelines. Again, it is a stretch.
By the way, I might of accidentally killed someone on your server by shooting, I'm not a big knife fan, I didn't know, I'm sorry.

Edit; Extreme precaution >> DONT DO THIS, ITS AN EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!!!
Thanks given by:
Modifying official maps is a bad idea in general. Just keep your fingers off them.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, thats kinda why I put that extreme precaution at the end. (is it not extreme enough? lemme fix it.)
Thanks given by:
Don't worry about shooting, it's just a clanserver now
Thanks given by:
I think probably the best way is to take your server off the master server and advertize it as a knife only server, get all the players who want knife only to join ur private server and you can do whatever you want. I dont like it when players try to kick me from my own server when they want knife only games. Maybe there should be a knife only mode but that is up to the DEV's and i dont think they like the idea, or at least they don't seem too.
Thanks given by:
Deebz|W$N| ran a gib-only server for a long time (and AFAIK, it was fairly well used). However, as stated above, it was not on the masterserver.

Jack, the best solution to your problem is to modify the source code to make a knife-only server, make some maps for knife only (DO NOT edit any official maps), and advertise the server's IP and port on here. DO NOT register this modified server on the masterserver.

If you build it, they will probably come.
Thanks given by:
Well said.
Zarj has gained 23 EXP and +1 internets
Thanks given by: