Not Opening!!!
I've downloaded assaultcube but it isn't opening when I open it. Nothing happens. I click and wait, and wait, and wait, but it just doesn't open. It worked with the one on the ubuntu software centre (I'me using ubuntu), but when I tried playing multi, it said that it was out of date and as the one I was using on the software centre was still the latest one, I downloaded the thing off here but when I try opening it, nothing happens. HELP!!!!
Thanks given by:
Download the Linux version from AssaultCube - Download it! witch it seem you have done.
Extract it to your home folder or the folder you like to use (remember your user need to have read/write access).
Go to the extracted folder and double click "assaultcube.sh" to start the game.
Thanks given by:
That is exactly what I did and I have full access too btw.
Thanks given by:
i also had this problem at 1st but than i figured out that you must not extract it into another folder in your home (e.g. home/"youraccountname"/blabla/1.1.0.4) i donno why but if it's like this it doesn't work
you must extract it directly to home (aka home/"youraccountnamehere"/1.1.0.4

P.S.:the name is meant like your user name on PC
Thanks given by:
Milandrag, that's odd.
I have it in /home/name/non_software_centre_software/1.1.0.4 and it works fine :S
Thanks given by:
I to have it in a folder inside home.
~/.games/1.1.0.4
Thanks given by:
Can you cd to the folder and run
sh assaultcube.sh

And give us the output?
Thanks given by:
I've tried extracting it directly into my home folder and it still doesn't work ):
Thanks given by:
This may be completely unhelpful and annoying, especially considering it's the day after you asked the question, but anyway:
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Have you restarted your computer (NOT hibernated)?
I don't know if this applies to the client, but if I run server.sh instead of running it in terminal, I can't reopen it without restarting.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 01:59AM)jalfor Wrote: I've tried extracting it directly into my home folder and it still doesn't work ):

Can you give us the output of what I asked above? It should tell us what is wrong...
Thanks given by:
Firstly, check you've installed the required libraries, a list of them is on http://assault.cubers.net/download.html

If so, please open a "terminal" and then type "cd", plus a space, and then the location of where your assaultcube folder is.

Then, type: ./assaultcube.sh

Once this has happened, if AssaultCube still doesn't run, it should spit out a bunch of debug information. Please copy/paste that information here.
Thanks given by:
For the person who asked if I had restarted, I have, many times and about the terminal thing, sorry for my n00bness but when I type cd home/<my name>/1.1.0.4/assaultcube.sh it says no such file or directory. I am clearly not typing it correctly. Could someone please tell me what I should type in. In windows I know that you can just copy/paste the address bar thing but in ubuntu I can not see a way.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 11:59AM)jalfor Wrote: For the person who asked if I had restarted, I have, many times and about the terminal thing, sorry for my n00bness but when I type cd home/<my name>/1.1.0.4/assaultcube.sh it says no such file or directory. I am clearly not typing it correctly. Could someone please tell me what I should type in. In windows I know that you can just copy/paste the address bar thing but in ubuntu I can not see a way.

Well first thing, you're missing a / at the beginning. For example the path for me is:
/home/luke/1.1.0.4/

And you can't "cd" into the assaultcube.sh file, you must type:
cd /home/USERNAME/1.1.0.4
sh assaultcube.sh

Although after running the cd command you may want to try
ls

To ensure there is assaultcube.sh in that directory.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 11, 12:46PM)castiel Wrote:
(25 Apr 11, 11:59AM)jalfor Wrote: For the person who asked if I had restarted, I have, many times and about the terminal thing, sorry for my n00bness but when I type cd home/<my name>/1.1.0.4/assaultcube.sh it says no such file or directory. I am clearly not typing it correctly. Could someone please tell me what I should type in. In windows I know that you can just copy/paste the address bar thing but in ubuntu I can not see a way.

Well first thing, you're missing a / at the beginning. For example the path for me is:
/home/luke/1.1.0.4/

And you can't "cd" into the assaultcube.sh file, you must type:
cd /home/USERNAME/1.1.0.4
sh assaultcube.sh

Although after running the cd command you may want to try
ls

To ensure there is assaultcube.sh in that directory.

I'm going to make it real easy for him. Now that I know you can open a terminal, please type this command:
cd ~/1.1.0.4 && ./assaultcube.sh > ~/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt

Whatever goes wrong, you should find a find a text file called "logfile" in your AC folder.
Thanks given by:
joshua@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/1.1.0.4 && ./assaultcube.sh > ~/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt
/home/joshua/1.1.0.4/bin_unix/linux_client: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
joshua@ubuntu:~/1.1.0.4$ cd /home/joshua/1.1.0.4 && ./assaultcube.sh > home/joshua/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt
bash: home/joshua/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt: No such file or directory

This was my little conversation with the computer
Thanks given by:
Make sure you have all the dependancies installed. I believe a previously posted link to the wiki will tell you how.
Thanks given by:
Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - Missing libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 03:08AM)jalfor Wrote: joshua@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/1.1.0.4 && ./assaultcube.sh > ~/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt
/home/joshua/1.1.0.4/bin_unix/linux_client: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
joshua@ubuntu:~/1.1.0.4$ cd /home/joshua/1.1.0.4 && ./assaultcube.sh > home/joshua/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt
bash: home/joshua/1.1.0.4/logfile.txt: No such file or directory

This was my little conversation with the computer

Remember how I said to check if you installed ALL the dependencies? You should try that, cause that's what the error message is complaining about. Here's a quote from that page.

http://assault.cubers.net/download.html Wrote:If you're on a Debian or Ubuntu based system, you can run this command in a terminal to install these libraries:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2 libsdl-image1.2 libopenal1 libsdl-ttf2.0-0
Thanks given by:
And this is why you should have a Windows PC...
Thanks given by:
hey i've just made downgrade from 11.04->10.04 cuz i didn't really like the unity thing and the freezing thing
i also had problem with thing that AC didn't start
but i managed to solve with by doing
open ubuntu software center->search for assaultcube->install the version you find in there
than all the assaultcubes should work ;)
worked for me and my friend
gl :)
Thanks given by:
@ Milandrag
Is AC updated to this version (1.1.0.4) in software center in Ubuntu 11.04?

And if you have problems with the new Ubuntu just install Gnome, KDE or what ever you are used to.
Thanks given by:
no there isn't updated version. i think it's the 1.0 version in there
but still
it seems to me that you get some additional data installed along with it cuz it just started to work the moment i installed it (haven't done anything to 1.1.0.4)

ah i don't really have the problem with Unity exactly... i have problem with the monitor instability within 11.04 kernel
it's a known problem that it has bad monitor and they "live" to freeze... mine did almost everytime i started AC ^^"
Thanks given by:
i hated the unity thing too but i found a setting that allows you to turn it off and go back to the classic ubuntu look
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 11, 01:22PM)Anvil Wrote: And this is why you should have a Windows PC...

negative, this is why you should learn Linux instead of being fed code by your Microsoft nanny

and about the Unity thing, I think it sucks too. I just set the desktop back to Gnome. As far as the releases, I only use the LTS. It just seems to make for a more stable install and less compiling. I still haven't looked into whether Maverick or Narwhal has the ipw2200 firmware. I assume neither do, like usual with new releases. YAAAY I get to re-compile a new wireless driver everytime I upgrade!! :( Yea screw that. I am just sticking with Lucid till they stop supporting it altogether. Come to think of it, I think I should have kept Hardy. >:( ??? >:(
Thanks given by: