Poll: Is it a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
12 80.00%
No
20.00%
3 20.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

IRC Script!! [IDEA AND DEVELOPMENT]
So basically I want to make a script that connects to an irc displays whats said and allows you to post. I'm currently examining how AC connects to the master server and how to add a 2nd terminal. Please and any helpful scripts you have. It will take more than one script.
This will help clans organize clan matches co-ops etc a lot easier and players will be able to speak to each other on different servers. I cna set up irc servers for all clans after I make this script, that is if I make it.
Thanks given by:
So is this going to be a script that will allow people to connect to an IRC server/channel from inside of AC like in the game Red Eclipse?
Thanks given by:
Ya pretty much. What is red eclips written in? Maybe we could "convert" the code.
Thanks given by:
emm D1551D3N7 its already done
Thanks given by:
Would having that not defeat the purpose of in-game chat?
Or would it connect to #Assaultcube and stuff. That could be handy.
Thanks given by:
Lol hype have it goto #hypeservers and look at it its like you write "!msg hi" and peopel on ac will see "hi" and I think in Ac your name will be like e.g. IRCAnvil|3i| says: hi
and then when someone says something on ac it'll show on the irc i think ;)
Thanks given by:
You can check Red Eclipse out Here. Well Anvil it's not the same as what D1551D3N7 was thinking about doing. He was thinking on maybe setting it up so you can see what happens in IRC in AC and communicate back and forth. Something like Red Eclipse has if I am not mistaking.
Thanks given by:
Precisely. In-game chat is ONLY with people on the same server as you. This would work with all irc channels from #assaultcube to #cubescript to #hackforums to anyother irc. You could play and help people with something unrelated.
(18 Apr 11, 07:15PM)Anvil Wrote: emm D1551D3N7 its already done
Where?
Thanks given by:
He thought it was already done for AC, but as far as I know it isn't. You want to probably take a look at some Red Eclipse code and maybe talk to the devs of that game to see if they can help you out or give you some advice if you need a hand starting off.
Thanks given by:
I'm really sorry i understood it wrong i thought you were talking about something like hype has but please forget my posts :/
again sorry :/
Thanks given by:
lol Anvil Ok ikligo I will look for Red Eclipse.
Red Eclipse is a totally different code and model. I have found a similar program to work off.
Thanks given by:
IRC scripts are easy I heard
Thanks given by:
(18 Apr 11, 07:46PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: Red Eclipse is a totally different code and model. I have found a similar program to work off.

Er, joke?

Red Eclipse is very much like AC. Because it is a game built off of the Cube II engine, much like AC is built off of the Cube I engine. Much of the code is shared. Certainly more than other projects you might find.
Thanks given by:
If you didn't want to make a modified server or client to do this, you could make an intermediate application that parses the normal AC console output for keywords; on finding the keywords, it sends the remainder of that chat line to an IRC client.
I can imagine how to make that, but I have yet to learn enough C++ to feel confident coding it.
Thanks given by:
You dont really need to know c++ to pull this one out,
a side program as simple as Python code, could make it, Python + Cubescript
Yes i tryed this combination once with my clanmate Sweet (Python lover <3) but it was meant for translation from Xgoogle, google translator.
Since then i've been trying to learn Python and i think i could do something like this, maybe if i have the time and paticence ;D
Thanks given by:
Perl. If you want to do something with a text-based protocol, use Perl.
(Hell, you can just
use Bot::BasicBot;
and you're mostly done)
Thanks given by:
Heh.
I know a little C++, but no Perl or Python, that's why I said C++.
Good point, though, those are on my list of lingos to learn.
Thanks given by:
I've gotton nowhere with this lol keep getting side tracked as with all my ventures.
I will leave this to the developers for v1.2. This really needs to be implemented for better togetherness in AC. A menu could also be easily built afterwards but I don't know a lot of any code and can't get AC to connect to an irc and display data. I know yeve made recommendations but how do I integrate AC with scripts in different languages?
Thanks given by:
Heh, that's quick to give up.

My 2¢ worth: I've been tempted to do something in this area myself, but can't manage to squeeze it in. My approach would've built of the already excellent Supybot (python); simply add a new plugin to it, that can communicate with servers - if so required an extension of the extping protocol could enable sending/receiving messages between server and irc-bot.
TBH I don't quite see the need for integrating IRC with the engine directly - IMHO there are good enough irc-clients out there already, we don't need to reinvent the wheel here in AC, not to mention the additional clutter this would cause. You simply have your AC-IRC-channels (starting with #assaultcube on quakenet) to go and find players for matches, not forgetting you can simply go onto an empty server, start the match you'd like to play and wait for people to join .. as in any other game w/o a global-chat integrated into the engine.
The bots purpose - in my mind - would be to find empty servers, or allow to find .. say .. a CTF-match w/o having to start the game. A text-based, rudimentary CSL basically - some people/games call this a pickup-bot.
Afterthought: much more sensible (again IMHO) would be an elaborate Mumble-integration - like "The Conquerors"/"Ogros.org" have (or used to have, at least) for their sauerbraten-client .. you get switched to different channels depending on your team - very nifty, very useful.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't that work with client-side integration of Mumble as well? See http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Link , if I understand that correctly, setting the context will have the same effect - players with the same context (e.g. same team on same game server) will hear each other.
Thanks given by: