Modded Sounds
Hello community,
After talking with a few people about this subject, it has come to attention that there are some differing views about modding/changing the original .ogg files that are present in the AC directory.

The argument goes something like, you are able to modify skins and are able to make scripts, so why not be able to change sounds? Whereas the counter-argument states that there could be an extreme advantage in gameplay with custom sounds.

My question is about the official stance of the developers on this topic. I wanted to ask before I went messing around with anything. Thank you for your time,

~Waffles
Thanks given by:
SKB uses "pro" sounds that sound very different. I use the hitsound from Sauerbraten. People see these on our streams and no one complains, so I do not believe it is a problem.
Thanks given by:
What advantage is there?

Changing mono .oggs to stereo makes them louder but they are the same volume at all distances.
Changing the volume of the .oggs is the equivalent of changing the volume on your speakers.
Other sounds may be muted entirely.

I don't know how custom audio files are going to convey any more information or make the information provided any clearer.
Thanks given by:
Alright well as there is not a problem I will alter them. Thanks for your all's input.
Thanks given by:
The main conflict is when people encourage each other to replace media such as sound files.
That's like rock climbing sans harness -- there's a chance nothing will go wrong, but bummer if it does go wrong.
Use the --mod extension to designate a folder as your mods folder, and place all mod media in that. The game will use those without you having to actually replace the default media!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your concern V-man. You'd be proud to know i've done that as well as have all my files backed-up as well. No danger here, but hopefully those who tell others about this will keep in mind the hazards.
Thanks given by:
There are several sounds that would give you an advantage especially in a 1on1 if you made them louder/more audible, so make sure the sounds you replace resemble the originals in loudness and audibility if you want to stay honest ;)
Thanks given by:
The dev, has spoken

Since this thread has been answered... I believe it should be closed?
Thanks given by:
one last question,

from altering the files i just realized that grenade and ammo pickups use the same sound. is it currently possible to change this userside or is this something that could be changed for the upcoming release?
Thanks given by:
Changing it right now would give you an advantage. However, I do believe it should be changed for the next version.
Thanks given by:
Right now the code calls for the same sound (20) regardless of whether it is pistol ammo, ammobox, or nades. And yes, I am so proud of you, Waffles! :D
Thanks given by:
Also,
I noticed a bug where the helmet sound is not always read as distinct from the armour sound. I personally do not know what could've caused this
Thanks given by: