gravity and grenade velocity
does anyone here know the values for gravity and the velocity that you throw the grenade at?
Thanks given by:
The projectile speed of the grenade is "20" of an unknown unit.
Thanks given by:
cubes per second?
Thanks given by:
Gibstick and Brahma, does you guys want me to measure it for you?
Thanks given by:
(08 Apr 11, 04:09PM)Bugboy1028 Wrote: Gibstick and Brahma, does you guys want me to measure it for you?

[Image: shesaid.jpg]
Thanks given by:
<3 :D
Thanks given by:
Hooray for physics!
using rifle@camper (lol finally found a use for it), I found that it took me 2.8 seconds to fall 154 cubes, which gives you a rate of about 39.2857 (39.29) cubes per second squared for the acceleration due to gravity.
EDIT: thinking about it now, I realized that it is probably an even 40, and i just got 39.29 due to errors in timing and whatnot)

I also found that throwing a grenade at about 45 degrees would launch it ~60 cubes, while 0 degrees launched it ~40 cubes (though i was just measuring by the scorch mark, and it did bounce a bit). I would do the calculations for the throwing velocity (to see if it is cubes per second), but it involves vectors, and I am too busy 'getting down' to do these kinds of problems. :P (geddit, because it's friday?)
Thanks given by:
Lantry, I'm glad your having fun :)
But may I ask how you measured the cube lengths? Counting 154 cubes up doesn't seem very fun.
Thanks given by:
You can select in edit mode...
Thanks given by:
it wasn't. :P
I went into edit mode and raised one of the cubes next to the wall up while I was counting so I wouldn't lose my place. The texture helped a bit, because the bricks are all two cubes high so I could count by twos.

as for the grenade lengths, I just used the numbers next to the closest entity stats

@Brahma: is there a way to get cubeheight? I thought I saw a request for one a bit ago, but I thought there still wasn't.
Thanks given by:
Well, that is the hard way. Knowing this map, you probably jumped from a platform? Yea, just look at closest entity, second number I believe. I appreciate the work you put in here, even if it is hard to be exact.
Thanks given by:
i tried to do the math and figured out that a grenade would fly 25 cubes if thrown straight ahead and take around .67 seconds to get there and drop 5 cubes(i think thats the height of your person in assault cube) and ended up getting around 37.313432836 cubes per second for the grenade velocity and 22.27667632 cubes per second squared for gravity and cant help but think i might have done something wrong compared to your numbers

EDIT:
i put your gravity into my graphing calculator and tried to graph the trajectory of the grenade and it was off, but then i walked off a 128 cube drop and your gravity number was really close
Thanks given by:
Has anyone considered using the source? lol
Thanks given by:
That's where I got 20 from, didn't bother looking into the unit.
Thanks given by:
Yes, I figured I'd check their trials against the source.
Sometime.
Thanks given by:
I bet it is cubes per second.
Thanks given by:
From the over-tired mind of Viper:

"Can the unit be roentgens? It sounds like a donkey hiccup if you pronounce all the letters teehee."
Thanks given by:
I use clip entities for measuring height.
Thanks given by:
hwat the fuck. I thought you guys were smarter than that.

/dbgpos 1
/hidestats 0

Or if you're on 1105, /getposition n.
Thanks given by:
tried the math again after figuring out that your height is 4.5 with that /dbgpos command, came out with 20.03 something, so im gonna guess that the gravity is 20 for the grenades
Thanks given by:
(09 Apr 11, 02:13AM)Mael Wrote: Has anyone considered using the source? lol

Lol ouch. Good point.
Thanks given by:
There is no elaborate physics used in the cube engine, so I doubt a global gravity value exsists. I think the nades have just been tweaked to feel right and that's that (same way aard did the player's "physics" vars).
Thanks given by:
I just realized that nobody's even asked why Kush_Slayer even needs these values, so I figure I might as well ask him myself.

Kush_Slayer, why do you need to know this?
Thanks given by:
(09 Apr 11, 09:24PM)VenteX Wrote: I just realized that nobody's even asked why Kush_Slayer even needs these values, so I figure I might as well ask him myself.

Kush_Slayer, why do you need to know this?

im gonna find out the angle you have to throw the grenade at and how long you have to cook it to get it to explode at exact places, so you can have them airburst to hit people around corners or other cover or just hit them and have it explode when it hits them instead of bouncing off and hitting you, it be really cool if there was a command to cook the grenade and another to throw it so i could set up a script to do the cooking for you
Thanks given by:
:\

Just practice it. I can put the grenade anywhere I want. If you concern yourself with trying to count the milliseconds, measure the angles and perform such complex math in your head you're going to die.

Even if you were able to compute the values correctly and quickly, your target is dynamic and chaotic. You're better off using your judgement.
Thanks given by:
im not planning on using it all the time, but there are some times when people are being really annoying and hiding behind stuff and i would have ample time to do this, also the max range is around 64 cubes, and it really isnt necessary to get the distance within one cube, the grenade has enough splash radius for it to be within ~4 cubes so i could just calculate it for every 8 cubes, bringing it down to 7 possibilities(because it really wouldnt work to use this within 8 cubes) that i can have on a sticky note on my monitor, also counting the time is no problem because V-man released is grenade timer crosshair script that counts down and is accurate to the .1 of a second
Thanks given by:
well, it's a decent idea, but you would still be better off just playing a few rounds of LSS in my opinion.
Oh well, I had fun exercising my physics :D
Thanks given by:
Where are players hiding that's giving you trouble? Off the top of my head I can't think of a single location where I can't plant a grenade in someone's face from any angle, even the well in ac_desert.
Thanks given by:
makkE, I believe there is a global value (in the physics.cpp). Although the way it is used is questionable.
Ya'll should read the comments in the header of the file.
Thanks given by:
And probably it is just cubes per second :D
Thanks given by: