Mapmodel Buildings?
I was trying Blender again yesterday, and again, got pissed (pardon my french) and shut my computer off. . . but it got me wondering. . . can you make buildings mapmodels and just clip them? If not the whole builging, then just the floors of the building? Just wondering if it's possible.
Thanks given by:
It would be to big for AC I think.

If I remember right, AC just loads the mapmodels that are in sight. And when the building is realy big it'll be in your sight like 50% of the time and all VE and textures have to be load.

I think you could make a building with little mapmodels you add to your Engine-generated house. Like... use the window mapmodel for the windows and the platform mapmodels for a second floor.
Thanks given by:
Making a map-model for a building that's off in the distance would be OK, really, considering that you can make a basic house shape with around 10 polys or 16 triangles, and you could skin that using a 256² texture. As far as modeling buildings that you can walk around in goes... I don't think so.
Thanks given by:
How about larger platforms? Could I make. . . say . . . 12x12 platforms?
Thanks given by:
Yeah. That would actually use the same amount of polys as well.
Thanks given by:
Well, of course you can. Though, 8x8 makes more sense according to the game's grid and again, like a_slow_old_man pointed out already, huge model's come with another set of issues. Flawed rendering, odd brightness, weird shadows, costly on resources and so on and so forth...

However, in general you're going best by using the engine's geometry in first place and only spice up the map with few models here and there.
Thanks given by:
I understand that. But I wanted to make a "skyscraper" and I thought it more efficient if I made it with larger floor panels instead of the 8x8 default ones.
Thanks given by: