Surround Sound
Could AC possibly be adapted to have a 5.1 dolby digital surround sound output? If you have a good headset it would boost your game SOOOOOO much hearing footsteps in a direction from you rather than just "near" you. This isn't so much for me since i play without sound but just wondering.
Thanks given by:
my headset gives me sound from left, right or middle
middle as in "that sound is either coming from infront of me or behind me" lol
Thanks given by:
I have AX Pros by Triton Technologies for CoD with an adaptor for computer use. It has 8 speakers all from individualized locations for "crystal clear sound quality, optimized for gaming use." It was expensive though... U_U

@ iOD members:
On a side note the mic is also very good... And sorry for not coming on ventrilo with it cuz its a hassle to set up and move from where my TV is.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 11, 08:33PM)Viper Wrote: Could AC possibly be adapted to have a 5.1 dolby digital surround sound output?

I'm sure it could.
:trollface:
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 11, 08:33PM)Viper Wrote: ...hearing footsteps in a direction from you rather than just "near" you.
That raises the question...
With only two ears, can you really tell when a sound originates from behind or in front of (or above or below) you?
Thanks given by:
In AC you won't really have to worry much about above and below, since you can see player shadows from "below" and they can see your player shadow if you are above. Then you listen to what they are picking up and you run to that place to see what is missing. Although I wouldn't mind a different pickup sound for grenades (we already have a different sound for the helmet in SVN).
Thanks given by:
and hearing players footsteps wouldn't be much help because there is an option to turn player footsteps and player shadows off (but it might only be for that person and not others... I dont know)
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 02:27PM)Faron8 Wrote: and hearing players footsteps wouldn't be much help because there is an option to turn player footsteps and player shadows off (but it might only be for that person and not others... I dont know)

You can turn it off on your client, that doesn't mean other players can't hear your footsteps.

Otherwise that'd be quite the bug.
Thanks given by:
/ninja 1
Thanks given by:
lol i got speakers in the top right and left of my room in the back of my room. so it is possible. if you want to see ask
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 06:37AM)V-Man Wrote: That raises the question...
With only two ears, can you really tell when a sound originates from behind or in front of (or above or below) you?

Short answer yes; the subtle filtering artifacts induced by ears themselves and especially the wave guides on the pinna, plus the very tiny delay in the soundwave reaching the "further" ear and the inevitable difference in the filtering characteristics between the 2 inputs... and some other details, like visual feedback reenforcing location perception - a centred sound without an apparent visual source is assumed to be behind you...

Echolocation isn't infallible though; a certain variety of frequencies must be present, or else we're literally clueless: in particular, higher frequencies (up to 12 kHz) are needed as the shorter wavelengths imply more phase information which is what we need - this is also why we can't locate deep bass properly (and you can put subwoofer almost anywhere, to an extent), wavelengths being too long.

Additionally, first reflections can confuse us: classic example being emergency sirens heard coming from the wrong side as we approach a junction, as the reflections off the street walls reach us far more clearly than the occluded source. Then as you get to the junction itself and clear both corners, the apparent source immediately switches to the other (source) side... on the plus side, if it's an ambulance, you'll be receiving qualified care immediately.
Thanks given by:
No one answered my question... Could AC be formatted to allow 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound output???
Thanks given by:
An answer of supreme quality GD, but I assumed V-Man meant in AC. With only two channels, surely sounds can only be located left or right; you'd need to use map references and previous sonic/visual clues to work out the forward/backward direction and the height. Am I completely wrong?
Thanks given by:
If I get around to - or we get some developer input (hint-hint) - immersing myself into OpenAL .. it's possible - AFAIK the current implementation already should be fully directional .. but as I said, I'd need to get into (meaning DEEPLY) that part of the engine myself first before I can claim any definitive response; driAn wrote that code and I've only done minor tweaks so far. There are several issues that need to be addressed here, so 5.1 support will not be anywhere near the top of the list.
A quick search shows that a possible problem for anybody with a 5.1-capable card and sound-system not yet experiencing directional sound (as I said I think they already should) could be that their system is mal-configured.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 11:11PM)Viper Wrote: No one answered my question... Could AC be formatted to allow 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound output???

Yes. However you might have to rework the whole sound system.
Thanks given by:
OpenAL handles virtual channels, it's the soundcard driver and the OS that actually do surround sound. In other words, it should be automatic if everything is set up properly (can't verify myself, stereo puritan that I am).

Jamz: proper 3D sound positioning essentially replicates the processes described, so in theory at least nothing stops an API from fully emulating the HRTF (head-related transfer function); in practice, such cleverness requires using headphones as normal loudspeakers can't fool us huashusahusahu

flowtron: only ever had experience with DirectSound at the lowest level (naturally heheheh); if I find the time, I will have a proper go at OpenAL - I read the docs several times and am not certain my preferred "channel virtualisation" approach would work on it, though it may well be that the intended functionality of it is available. Can't tell without a proper prototype testing.
Thanks given by:
* V-Man listens to this while reading GD's aural explanation
Thanks given by:
haha, i have a pair of headphones
Thanks given by: