Another MediaPack
Since there's discussion about making an alternate akimbo. I've decided to look into making a new acmp, compiled of good quality maps picked by the ac community.

I'd like to say that I will not include stupid maps such as rifle@camper sniper@camper, or any other of that bullshit.

If I do make a new acmp (which I most likely am) this isn't my first attempt to do so, I'd also need to track down the custom media, and such that is in these maps. So, I might need some help.

As for where it will be located, idk as of the current time, but I will decide if I'll make a website for it, or post it on akimbo or something (doubt it)

But my main reason for posting this thread is to get suggestions from the community. So ... F!re away.

Duckett.
Thanks given by:
ac_zanka, ac_swamp and ac_venganza1.1 are my votes
GL Ducky!
Thanks given by:
Cool
Thanks given by:
There is a map pack with quality maps, and OP, wouldn't the alternate akimbo host maps too? :P
Thanks given by:
Yes, but I'm trying to make one website hosting these maps in a single package. I'm also looking into maps to include. Yes the alternate akimbo would host maps and such too, But I'd like to make a package, where players can go to get quality maps without scavenging servers.
Thanks given by:
How about setting up a free site, download maps and media your self from akimbo and quadropolis, and make available on the site?

Anyway, im lazy and only look at akimbo and quadropolis for maps.
Thanks given by:
Elven, there is a map pack hosted by r4.... somewhere.
Thanks given by:
http://acmappack.co.cc/

I imagine he'd be willing to let people help. :)
Thanks given by:
I know that ... I'm saying that I want to get another one up, with a bunch of maps that have great quality, and are also requested by players ...
Thanks given by:
Which is exactly what MediaPacks are for; you don't have to centralize them, but it would make things easier. Currently the engine is hardcoded to output URLs that point to the host where jamz & R4zor have the (for now) first & only MP.
I've started giving some information on how to construct your MediaPack on the wiki - but I bet it's still confusing for someone who didn't write the code & logic driving this feature. Use the TALK-page for asking questions, or post them here - I will try to address them & elaborate on details I missed so far.
Thanks given by:
Flowtron... Will redundant media (i.e. a model or map thats been installed twice or if these mps contain similar things then many many times) be dealt with? This would bog down the AC package...
Thanks given by:
Flowtron, I haven't seen anything about media packs within the game. Only cfgs and the source. Are these the --mod thing?

Anyways, I think I hear that R4 gave up?
Thanks given by:
The mediapack is not the --mod thing. The mediapack is a pack of media :D

It's also distributed differently, with a list of contents included.
Thanks given by:
Yes. I think that R4zor isn't really paying the acmp much attention, so instead of making a new one I might ask him to hand control of that one to me. There have been a lot of maps requested to him, and I honestly don't think he is doing much on the furthering of the acmp.
Thanks given by:
well if you are looking for maps Elven check out this map pack that I have
http://www.gigasize.com/get/0oj147t0lgb

almost 500 maps with preview images all working in this last version of AC
Thanks given by:
Ronald_Reagan: I posted a link explaining details of the MediaPack paradigm - please read it. (Hint: try the word "link" in this post or the phrase "how to construct your MediaPack" in my previous post)
Thanks given by:
I was looking for suggestions, but instead I got this ...
Thanks given by:
TBH: I think anybody wanting to do a MediaPack would have to already know what is to be included. FYI: not just any old compilation will be accepted as MediaPack either, you did mention some maps in your 1st post that would lead to the MP being denied.
In my imagination I'd envisioned that people don't go for MegaPacks, but instead would package stuff according to some sensible plan. Like have a city-themed MediaPack, a desert-themed MediaPack, then maybe someone provides a ton of SciFi-textures (but no maps), someone else provides a bunch of SciFi-sounds (but no textures or maps) ... etc. pp.
So, my suggestion to you Elven, or anybody else wanting to provide more content to the game in an easy to distribute format: pick a designated area/theme for it - probably since you've just found/created a bunch of media in that area - then package it up.
The code will allow for 2 MP's per week of every year; that should be enough ;-)
Don't wait 3 months to collect 30 maps - of which probably 20 won't be really all that good anyway - rather package 5 good maps every 2 weeks.
And again: don't forget about the media part of the name, this is not just a method for distributing maps. If you've packaged some textures and people then build maps with them, the saved map will know that MP of yours was used, then if the map itself gets packaged it will then tell people to get your package as a dependency .. plus, of course, any others it might additionally depend upon.
Thanks given by:
(02 Apr 11, 02:01PM)flowtron Wrote: If you've packaged some textures and people then build maps with them, the saved map will know that MP of yours was used, then if the map itself gets packaged it will then tell people to get your package as a dependency .. plus, of course, any others it might additionally depend upon.

What? So you're saying that if i publish map X with media (i.e. textures sound etc.) from MP Y, upon download or loading the map i will be presented with a link to MP Y?
Thanks given by:
(02 Apr 11, 02:23PM)Viper Wrote: What? So you're saying that if i publish map X with media (i.e. textures sound etc.) from MP Y, upon download or loading the map i will be presented with a link to MP Y?

I didn't know AC could do that! That sounds really cool.
Thanks given by:
Yes, it's not been acknowledged much yet .. that's why I've tried to explain the forms of usage here. But we should really try to make the wiki-page about MediaPack be readily understandable for someone who didn't write the code.

Viper: that's exactly what it's for!

In-depth explanation: if MP-Y was installed by the mapper of map-X and he uses a texture from MP-Y then this is saved into the header of the map. So when someone then does a "getmap", or somehow else get's map-X onto his system without having MP-Y installed then the engine will output "this map requires the following mediapacks: 1234" (assuming MP-Y is #1234) and then output a URL where you can get it.
Currently only one MP has been published so the URL is still hardwired to R4zors page - I assumed he'd be taking charge of compiling & hosting all upcoming MPs.
I've already built a stub for handling different locations for each MP on our website, so in the future the URL will basically always point you to our site first, then pass you on to whoever and wherever the respective MP is hosted.
And if we ever get to "feature paradise" we may see the engine able to download the ZIP automatically, unpack it and put it into use instantly .. but that's probably still a long way off.
Thanks given by: