iTunes Back-Up
As some of you may know, I am getting a new lap-top, and I would like your input on how to backup my iTunes library without having to re-download every song (Because really, who pays for songs?)

I have thought of several solutions already, such as online back-up, like IDrive. Or simply backing up to a CD or DVD, and/or external hard drive.

I have also thought of setting up a homegroup or ad hoc wireless network.

I'd just like to know if anyone else has any other ideas.
Thanks given by:
VERY easy if you go from a mac to a mac, but i recall you said that you had a PC so... I would suggest some kind of external backup, such as an external hard drive, (which are not actually that expensive if you know where to look) since it has other uses for all kinds of file backup you might want. Additionally i find that backing up information using time machine on my external hard drive time to time has saved me on more than one occasion.
Thanks given by:
I don't like the idea of getting an external hard drive, however, because once I make the move, there would be no point in it, unless I wanted to install another OS on the hard drive. (Best Buy, I can get a 500-700 gig hard drive for $20)

I also don't have time machine :/
Thanks given by:
(15 Mar 11, 12:31PM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: I can get a 500-700 gig hard drive for $20)

Thats value, i paid $130 for 2TB
Thanks given by:
The songs in iTunes should come from a folder that you have already chosen. Find that folder where all your songs belong (mine is in User > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music). Once you find the folder, save it to an external drive or flash drive (USB). Once you have done that, in your new laptop when in iTunes import the files to iTunes.

By the way, now that I was looking through iTunes for an easier way, if you go to File, there should be a thing called "Library" and it will follow with 'Back up to Disc', 'Organize Library', 'Export Library'. I'm not sure if any of these would work, but I would research some more about the 'Back up to Disc' (if you like the idea of saving your music on a CD) and 'Export Library' before doing anything.
Thanks given by:
How many GB is your library? If they're all lossy, don't bother burning them to disc. As well, you'll always find new uses for an external hard drive, and I doubt you have 500GB worth of songs.

Oh wait, just transfer the files via LAN. Silly me.
Thanks given by:
^depends on the router.
Thanks given by:
I only have 3.3 gigs of songs and other crap in my library. I'm not sure if my router would allow that, but I could set up ad hoc network (I think this is LAN).

Wolf: I have though about this, but this requires the backing up to a CD, and a DVD would have much more space.

What of backup sites? I know IDrive gives you 5 gigs of backup for free
Thanks given by:
I personally have lossless backed-up on an external hardrive, mp3 on cds, and I also have experimented with the online backup sites but I don't trust it. Call me paranoid. Basically whatever you feel most comfortable with will work fine but in terms of saving the data I would say using an external is the safest way as it leaves less room for error.
Thanks given by:
Just connect both computers to the same network and set up a shared drive/folder. You don't need a homegroup (is that what they call workgroups these days?).
[Image: networkb.png]
Thanks given by:
(15 Mar 11, 08:53PM)Gibstick Wrote: Just connect both computers to the same network and set up a shared drive/folder. You don't need a homegroup (is that what they call workgroups these days?).
[Image: networkb.png]

Doesn't that Depend in how much the router can hold?
Thanks given by:
A homegroup allows files across to be accessed without a wireless or wired connection.
Thanks given by:
SiL3nT: No files are stored in the router.
Thanks given by:
(15 Mar 11, 01:35PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: The songs in iTunes should come from a folder that you have already chosen. Find that folder where all your songs belong (mine is in User > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music). Once you find the folder, save it to an external drive or flash drive (USB). Once you have done that, in your new laptop when in iTunes import the files to iTunes.

I'm pretty sure this only works if you have 'copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library' enabled. otherwise, your music could be scattered all around your computer.

I would just suggest getting a small thumb drive, they come in very handy, I am sure you would be able to find use for it after the move. If you don't wanna spend the money to get one, i would suggest trying the LAN method gibstick is talking about.

BTW: the link is just to show how cheap they are. don't bother buying one online.
Thanks given by:
Some routers can hold HDDs :P
Thanks given by:
3.3 gb?? Pff u have more music on mt cell xD
Thanks given by:
Lol, I have 660 songs, :P
Thanks given by: