[TUTORIAL]AssaultCube through Steam [WINDOWS]
Right, I wanted to run AssaultCube through Steam, and I worked out how to do it, so I thought I should put up a tutorial for anyone else wanting to. The overlay works fine, and it has the added bonus that the default keybind for the overlay makes you stay crouched in AC while in it :D
  • STEP 1 - Install this: this program and run it.
  • STEP 2 - In the program you just installed, click File-Open and open "assaultcube.bat" from the AssaultCube directory (by default "C:\Program Files\AssaultCube_v1.1.0.4") and then click the build .exe icon, saving it as "AssaultCube.exe"
  • STEP 3 - Put the "AssaultCube.exe" file into your AssaultCube directory (by default "C:\Program Files\AssaultCube_v1.1.0.4")
  • STEP 4 - Start up Steam and go to the "LIBRARY" tab. Click "ADD A GAME..." in the bottom left corner, and in the box that pops up, click "Add a Non-Steam Game..."
  • STEP 5 - When the menu loads, click "BROWSE...". Navigate to your AssaultCube directory (by default "C:\Program Files\AssaultCube_v1.1.0.4") and select "AssaultCube.exe". Click "Open", and when the window closes, click "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"
  • STEP 6 - Run AssaultCube like any other Steam game.

Hope you guys find this guide useful :) I made the .exe file myself right before making this tutorial, so it won't have any viruses in it. Any suggestions, questions, somments or complaints are welcome .
Thanks given by:
What does the assaultcube.exe do? Just a shortcut to ac_client.exe in /bin_win32?
Thanks given by:
Nah, I used a program to convert .bat files to .exe files. Steam can't make shortcuts to .bat files, so I just converted the "assaultcube.bat" to an .exe.
Thanks given by:
Heh, I remember using that for Cubepad. The assaultcube.exe will be useful for other things too!
Thanks given by:
I was actually just about to post a thread asking about doing the same thing, but for Mac.

Steam just takes the launcher and thinks you're out of the game once the game itself starts up.
Thanks given by:
I dont know how steam works, but you need to either make a custom launcher, or launch the game with set switches.
Thanks given by:
Not saying I don't trust you but how do we know this is not a hacked executable.

And why do you have to convert the .bat to a .exe, is there anyway to change the switches?

Easier way to do this and also have switches use the below,

Add ac_client.exe to steam this is found in the bin_win32 folder under assaultcube.

Once this has been added you can right click and rename the ac_client to what ever you want it to be, eg. "KillTheNoobs_Cube" or for traditional reasons rename it to "AssaultCube" without the quotes of course.

The go to properties, from within the target field add the following line into the target field after the quotation marks.

--home="?MYDOCUMENTS?\AssaultCube_v1.1" --init=config/init.cfg

Of course this might be different for different people you can check your assaultcube.bat file to see what you have

[Image: ac_steam.png]

In the target field I have

"C:\Programs\AssaultCube\bin_win32\ac_client.exe" --home="?MYDOCUMENTS?\AssaultCube_v1.1" --init=config/init.cfg

For all the default users I had to remove
--init %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
And place this in an external file

So I created a file in config called init.cfg and just placed "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5" (without quotes again) on the first line and saved it. if you are too lazy to do this then download the init.zip and extract this to the config folder under the AssaultCube directory

Please note you need to change the start in directory the root directory of AssaultCube in this case its "C:\Programs\AssaultCube\"

This is a much safer way than downloading a .exe file.

You have no idea what it could be doing unless you test it.
I don't want to compromise my computer by trying.
Thanks given by:
bat2exe and then flip it and reverse it
Thanks given by:
Update even easier

Added ac_client.exe once added
Change to the name in properties.

Change the Target field to the assaultcube.bat in the root of assaultcube
"C:\Programs\AssaultCube\assaultcube.bat"

also the start in should also be changed to the root directory as well

"C:\Programs\AssaultCube\"

This way you can keep your .bat and switches without playing around with it.
Thanks given by:
And this is usefull because??
Thanks given by:
Steam overlay
Thanks given by:
It's just that Idk what dream does and why is it important :/
Thanks given by:
'Steam' not 'dream'.

Basically, Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation.

Meaning that it's a multiplayer gaming community/game client which distributes games and related media online. Steam games require you to use the Steam Client to play them.

For an example: Call of Duty: Black Ops is a Steam game and requires you to make an account on the Steam client and receive major updates.

It is important because it allows users to interact with each other (access to a large gaming community) and also save progress/stats and receive points for some shit.

It is not exactly important for AssaultCube.

But I think people want to keep all of their games in one place so your desktop is all neat and tidy. I guess if you have Windows Vista or 7; you can also put your game in the "Games for Windows Live" App.
Thanks given by:
Steam is on both Mac and Windows and they are looking at linux as well (if its not already out).
Thanks given by:
Fight the man, don't use steam
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 11, 02:36PM)Vermi Wrote: Fight the man, don't use steam

Tyler Durden likes you.
Thanks given by:
I used this program to convert the .bat to an .exe. As for the virus thing, I suppose you'll just have to trust me. I scanned it with my AV (Panda Cloud), and with MBAM (MalwareBytes), and nothing came up. I don't understand why anyone would want to make a virus either.

Your method's probably much better too, Freddo, but I find mine much easier, lol. I never really thought about the switches. I've never used them to be honest.

I can't really think of any other reasons to use AC as an .exe rather than a bat either. The only reason I made this tutorial was in case anyone wanted to talk on steam or go on FB with the built in web browser while in AC, or whatever.
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 11, 09:17AM)Freddo Wrote: So I created a file in config called init.cfg

I hate to break it to you, but you didn't create that file, you've replaced it! D:
That file is supposed to contain some basic AC startup commands that determine initial video settings. Mine, for example:
// automatically written on exit, DO NOT MODIFY
// modify settings in game
fullscreen 1
scr_w 1024
scr_h 768
colorbits 0
depthbits 0
stencilbits 8
fsaa 0
vsync 0
audio 1
soundchannels 32

Your method probably works once, but since the game writes over any changes to init.cfg, it will be replaced with your initialization settings after you quit the game.
Thanks given by:
VirusTotal - scan of the .exe file in first post
Jiangmin 13.0.900 2011.03.07 TrojanDownloader.Generic.cuk

This can be a false/positive.
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. I didn't change the .exe at all except for adding in the version number and stuff. The assaultcube.bat doesn't appear to have that problem though^. If anyone has any disputes and wants to accuse me of attempting to send a virus to everyone, I'm happy to make a video of me making the .exe :)
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 11, 06:55PM)V-Man Wrote:
(07 Mar 11, 09:17AM)Freddo Wrote: So I created a file in config called init.cfg

I hate to break it to you, but you didn't create that file, you've replaced it! D:

yeah I found it in my documents but the second way I stated above will not require you to replace anything.

But both ways work just fine.
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 11, 10:43AM)SnowOak Wrote: 'Steam' not 'dream'.

Yeah iPod auto correct me
Thanks given by:
I've removed the "assaultcube.exe" download and changed the instructions, just in case.
Thanks given by:
is it just him making it seem harder on windows or is it easier on Mac?

1. Go to Library.

2. Bottom left corner: + Add A Game.

3. Add a Non-Steam Game.

4. Browse.

5. Check the app you want.

6.Add Selected Programs.

[Image: screenshot20110309at958.png]
Thanks given by:
You Mactroll x)
Teach us how to add mods on a Mac.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 11, 12:34PM)Gibstick Wrote: You Mactroll x)
Its just supposed to make your life easier if you have steam open and your talking to friends or other crap in steam and you want to play AC you can launch it from in steam and your friends can see what your playing.
Thanks given by:
Faron8, the reason it's harder on Winbl0w$ is that Steam can only run .exe files, and the AssaultCube launcher is a .bat.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 11, 12:34PM)Gibstick Wrote: You Mactroll x)

I teach you how to add mods on mac. However most of this steam stuff is over my head.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 11, 04:07PM)StRaTo Wrote: Faron8, the reason it's harder on Winbl0w$ is that Steam can only run .exe files, and the AssaultCube launcher is a .bat.

Can't you just run cmd.exe, and add something like C:/Path/to/AC as an argument?
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 11, 05:00AM)Faron8 Wrote: is it just him making it seem harder on windows or is it easier on Mac?

1. Go to Library.

2. Bottom left corner: + Add A Game.

3. Add a Non-Steam Game.

4. Browse.

5. Check the app you want.

6.Add Selected Programs.
Well, I think the point is the game has a launcher so it needs to be set up differently in order for Steam to think you're still playing once the launcher closes and the game itself starts. Same deal on Mac or Windows.

So on that subject, can anyone help the Mac users figure out how to get AC running in steam? All I can think of is something with "assaultcube" in contents > gamedata, since it skips the launcher, but I don't think Steam could get to that and it seems to launch without remembering my settings.
Thanks given by: