I've got a habit
Everytime I start a map, I never finish it, I need some help breaking this habit, Any advice?
Thanks given by:
take your time, if mapping gets boring stop for the day and continue whenever you want to. usually theres no time limit on how long you may work on a map ;)

what also might help is to plan the layout and think of a few nice details before you start
Thanks given by:
I'll try that, but this thread is open to as many opinions, as long as you keep it rated whatever the hell they rate things these days.
Thanks given by:
Instead of making a whole map, start with one room. Finish it, then move on. If you have a large map, it will take hours and hours and hours to detail completely. Get one room looking good then move on. Quality over quantity. TWSS :D

Thanks given by:
If you run out of ideas, try to get it somewhere else, either from reality, games or tv... If you get really bored, well... Take your time... Hate it or love it, it happens at least one time for every mapper. :D
Thanks given by:
One of the good qualities of a good mapper is persistance. I know I lack it.
Thanks given by:
Think up the overall idea more. If you get super excited about an idea, the excitement will stay longer, til its done :)
(or at the least get a rough sketch of it done, then add in polish later"
Thanks given by:
Happens to me a lot too.

My attention span sucks...
Thanks given by:
All good suggestions,

@vern I do that already

@orynge I know how ya feel

@Nightmare I never get excited

@RR xD

@Andrez I'll do that
Thanks given by:
[doublepost]Wooohooo, thanks to your advice I was able to finish three maps[/doublepost]
Thanks given by:
Im kinda not the right person since this is what happens to me xD but like Rob said take your time... A good map isn't finished in an hour. If you have mappers' block just take a break and come back to it some other time. Currently I've been working on ac_sands for more than 100 hours (it still isn't good lol and not kidding about the time) and i started on it in June 10. xD sorry to be the useless hippocrite.
Thanks given by:
you're not a hippo's crate :(
Thanks given by:
Well I really only find it fun to map with a partner. I have the same problem too because I have massive ADD so its hard to concentrate when you keep getting skype messages/ ichat messages and other stuff.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 11, 07:57PM)Elven Wrote: you're not a hippo's crate :(
More like Schrödinger's cat.
Thanks given by:
I like to map in "phases" or break the progression into stages, so as to not just map randomly and thus get bored or loss the enthusiasm I once had for it. You can break it into any kind of schedule you want, I find if I have a structure/outlined process I'm more likely to stick with it.
Here's an example of some stages I usually use,
Quote:brainstorming central idea
sketching Layout
blocking in
Looking over layout and making changes(maybe with someones opinions)
Picking main Textures
etc etc

If I don't do this and start a map on the fly with no thought about layout, theme, or intended modes in mind. I get distracted, and the map slowly becomes disjointed/doesn't flow. And then followed by getting frustrated with the map in the beginning/early stages of the mapping process.

Also another good thing to do is when you've got a solid map going show it to a select few other friends and/or other mappers. I don't just mean show it off to people and have them say "good map, its going good" but actually get ideas and tips from them, and brainstorming with them about changes and even whole new directions for the map to take. You don't even have to show it to mappers to get good opinions and ideas, just good players who enjoy the game. They may not think in a mappers point of view, but as a player..you get the essential things the player(s) want, need and notice.
And you can do that as many times as you want, and just keep changing and improving the map slowly but surely.

Also like someone said, co-oping can make things go faster, and sometimes turn out really good and flow easily with 2 or more people putting out ideas. But of course you can get the opposite of that as well with clashing ideas, among many others..

I never work on a map for more than a few hours at a time, unless I've got a real roll going. I let time for things to "sink in" if you will so I can gauge and judge as I'm building and adapting.

Hope that gave u a few ideas.

PS: I'm liking some of the suggestions already, maybe if we get a few more good shots I'll sticky this, or someone can when/if they think its got enough food info

Thanks given by:
try to use milestones
1. night - layout with basic combination of textures
2. night - detailing 1/4 part of map
3. night - detailing 2/4 part of map with details
4. night - detailing 3/4 part of map with details
5. night - detailing 4/4 part and publishing
(so max 5 nights)
I often did map in one night, more days means only messing what is done already :P Then i published, players left or stayed so then i add some improvements.
Thanks given by:
Sometimes i map during 7-8 hours a day but i make sh*t at the end.
And sometimes i stop mapping during 3-4 months cause i wont map , when i re-start mapping i make awesome things (and a better gameplay cause i had time to think about it).

-Try to make your best
-Never force yourself to map

And if you don't finish a map , try a new one cause you are learning mapping and maps after maps , your level will grow and you will make better and better maps.
Thanks given by:
my advise is bad but this works for me...
make TINY maps, like size 6. lol.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 11:05AM)DogDancing Wrote:
PS: I'm liking some of the suggestions already, maybe if we get a few more good shots I'll sticky this, or someone can when/if they think its got enough food info

Since when can you sticky threads... lol. DO IT!
Thanks given by:
or make your map with someone... he will encourage you to map when you are lazy :P
Thanks given by:
Something that may help is plain the map theme. Say, thinking about a place, draw it in your mind, and then place it on the blocks/cubes.

After make sure what theme you are going for, whether draw a quick sketch or just start already you must be sure that the idea doesn't fade away, otherwise you will be lost after the first room.

Plain the path to CLA and RVSF and don't forget the design must be equally good as playable. Some maps are really fancy and nice, but sometimes it turns to other way and becomes unplayable.

Try to blend your idea/theme with the quality of a playable map so you'll have something interesting and attractive to give. Depending of how you mixed the idea and quality you may judge what's lacking or what's superfluous on it.

As some said above if you can show off your map to some amount of experienced mappers for tips and advice this will improve the chances of success on it. Also bring a certain amount of players and test it on few modes to see how it goes.

imo you have time to learn, so don't push yourself to great task, instead start with something simple and nice and then keep working ahead until you get enough ideas from your progress to work properly and confident on future maps.

that my 2 cents.
Thanks given by: