Mike's Maps!
Yes! I finally got some maps! All thanks to the awesome guys here at the forum.

Anyways, I assume you'll know how to install the maps, so I'll just give the dls.
-MAPS-
-Killing Rooms 967 bytes
[Image: killingrooms.jpg]
[Image: killingrooms2.jpg]
-CTF Arena 1.18 kb
[Image: ctfarena1.jpg]
[Image: ctfarena2.jpg]
[Image: ctfarena3.jpg]
-Two Houses 1.6 kb
[Image: twohouses2.jpg]
[Image: twohouses3.jpg]
[Image: twohouses1.jpg]
-Battle Park, by Mikey and Charlie 2.04 kb
[Image: battlepark1.jpg]
[Image: battlepark2.jpg]
-Castles
[Image: twocastles.jpg]
[Image: twocastles2.jpg]
-Alton Street
[Image: altonstreet1.jpg]
[Image: altonstreet2.jpg]

Newest one! Working really hard on it!
[Image: 20110303032337mlprisont.jpg]
[Image: 20110303032343mlprisont.jpg]
[Image: 20110303032349mlprisont.jpg]

I know that a few of them are just basic geometry, but i've been getting better as I progress (:

:) thanks again V-Man and Bukz.
Thanks given by:
No pix No clix.
jk I'll have peep at you maps, they sound cool. ;)
Thanks given by:
(01 Mar 11, 04:48PM)SuperSniper Wrote: No pix No clix.

For real this time ;)
Thanks given by:
(01 Mar 11, 06:19PM)a_slow_old_man Wrote:
(01 Mar 11, 04:48PM)SuperSniper Wrote: No pix No clix.

For real this time ;)
This
Thanks given by:
pix of the maps, preferably.
Thanks given by:
Dangit! Forgot to take some pictures. . .hang on, lemme do some screens.
Thanks given by:
I like the last couple of pix, nice job
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
battle park looks nice, but consider using less open space. fill it up with trees, boxes, stuff like that, so it doesn't look so empty. also, consider putting the buildings close together. I understand that its a park, so it's supposed to be clean and wide open, but maps often look better when the don't look so sparse. also, don't neglect the details. if you look at the official maps, they have lots of mapmodels just for decoration (cigarettes, cans, etc) that add to the overall look.
Thanks given by:
Note that he said trees, use as little as possible, meaning less than 3 (not equal or less than three, 2.5 is okay though)
Thanks given by:
I know, I keep going over the official ones, and they look so amazing, and I just don't know where to start with it. I've done a new map, but I decided not to post it yet. Still adding stuff to it. I'm gonna give a shot at really making it look good.

Thanks for the advice :)
Thanks given by:
Hey if ever you have time and would like more info on how to place mapmodels (elevation, placement, textures) and help with heightfields (arches, rounding), come talk to me sometime and I would be glad to show you some cool stuff. Go to my clans site here and go into the chat on the home page. Ask for me in relations to this thread. I am in the -8 PST timezone and usually play at night.
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 11, 01:13AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Note that he said trees, use as little as possible, meaning less than 3 (not equal or less than three, 2.5 is okay though)

yep, try to find places where they would be most effective. for example, in your first picture of battlepark, on the right side above the gun you can see for a long distance. a well placed tree could mostly block that out.
Thanks given by:
Okay, thanks!

I see what you mean about the tree. Now that I really look at the map, it plays well, but lacks in real details. I hope my mapping will get better.

Newest is supposed to be like an abandoned prison kinda thing with holes it walls, stuff lying around, all that stuff, so I hope it's a bit better on details :) I also found out how to work the corners XD so it's a bit smoother than my others.
[Image: 20110303054359mlprisonb.jpg]
[Image: 20110303054421mlprisonb.jpg]
[Image: 20110303054506mlprisonb.jpg]
Thanks given by:
These look nice, man.
I'll try 'em out and check back.

Thanks given by:

I'm gonna stick the link to ML_Prison_Break up here too :)
ML_Prison_Break.cgz
Config file, just in case
not sure if the cfg file is needed :/

I posted the Prison break online today (i don't get online frequently in game) and it seemed to be pretty popular on the few servers I put it on. A few people actually said they'd try to spread it around a bit. :)
(WARNING! You'll need to know how to crouch jump though holes to play this map!)
I had two "unarmed"s trying to get through the hole, they obviously didn't watch the tutorial. . . They reverted to TKing until they were kicked. . .
Thanks given by:
The last map you posted, you may want to make it lighter. I know I hate it when there is complete darkness on the maps :P
Thanks given by:
:/ well. . .it was supposed to be dark. . .it's night time. . .
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 11, 11:33PM)Mikey Wrote: not sure if the cfg file is needed :/

yeah, the config file is needed when you want to set the fog to a certain distance, choose a skymap, and some other things.
http://assault.cubers.net/docs/mapediting5.html
or are you asking if that specific map needs it? it would probably be best to package it with the config anyway.
Thanks given by:
Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if it saved in the cgz file after you saved the cfg file. . .

When sending it to a server, will it reset all of the skymap and fog?
Thanks given by:
nope, when you upload a map to a server it automatically uploads both files (cfg and cgz).
Thanks given by:
ahh, I see. That's pretty clever.
Thanks given by:
ZIP file as requested by V-man
ML_Prison_Break and Battle_Park.zip
Has ML_Prison_Break and Battle_Park
Thanks given by:
It is, One quick question, do you use a lot of heightfeilding?
Thanks given by:
Until 24 hours ago, no, but I'm trying to incorporate it into my maps now that I know how :)
Thanks given by:
* V-Man checks out ML_Prison_Break
Thanks given by:
Okay, Mikey:
1) Clip off the meaningless areas on your map, like all of the wall edges and anything that could be conceivably reached by nade-rifle-piggy-back-jumping.
[Image: Clip%20Off%20Meaningless%20Areas.jpg]

2) Platforms that occupy the same space look trippy and not-so-pro.
http://baconbukz.co.cc/up/uploads/Collid...0Funky.gif
It's because the game can't tell which mapmodel's texture to show you, since they're on the exact same plane!

3) You've done a good job of filling in empty spaces. Fill in some more of those empty areas. Even if it's with pointless crates or mapmodels, it's better than the smooth, empty, singular texture.
[Image: Fill%20In%20Empty%20Areas%20More.jpg]

4) Find a way to make the gate edges look more integrated with the environment -- probably widening passages or getting rid of them altogether are the easiest options.
[Image: Gate%20Edges1.jpg]
[Image: Gate%20Edges2.jpg]

5) Your use of mapmodels is great! Let them spread out a little more, don't try to have them in the same space as your decorative geometry.
[Image: Let%20Mapmodels%20Breathe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Okay! I'll work on making those improvements!

I really don't want people up on that wall. . . thought I'd blocked it pretty well XD
Thanks given by:
Using a clip is the only way.
Using a plclip is good if you don't mind bots being all up in there.
Thanks given by:
V-Man, gives good advice ... Even though I quote
Quote:I suck at the actual thing
Thanks given by: