Help for making maps?
kk

5char
Thanks given by:
(28 Feb 11, 01:49AM)Lantry Wrote:
(27 Feb 11, 05:10AM)Lantry Wrote: I think i'm gonna go whip up a map full of trees just to see how it runs.

well, i did, and it runs fine. All the stats are in the low ranges (wqd, etc) except for 'evt' which is between 10 and 20 thousand XD. It runs fine on my computer, but that was just me in an empty map.
As for gameplay, it is probably nonexistant, as i simply layed out a staggered grid of trees in a simple rectangular room, but i haven't played it online yet.

I made a little maze lined with trees everywhere, so it was like a forestmaze thingy
lost about 20 fps as the only negative ._.
Thanks given by:
just to make myself clear, I am not saying that a map made with just trees should be made, or even that it would be good. I was just testing to see if the limit of 1-2 was really that strict. You still shouldn't use too many, because even though my machine isn't high end, it isn't low end either, and there are probably people who run AC on slower machines than most people use, and I wouldn't want them to have to find a new server just because a certain map that their computer can't handle just came up in the server rotation.
Thanks given by:
Isn't there some way that someone could make a tree model which was the same shape as the original tree, but with much less detail and polygons? If someone did that, then the people with slow computers could install that tree model, and the other people could use the normal tree, meaning that people could put trees into maps as much as they wanted to. I'd be willing to do it, if someone could give me the model of the tree in MD3 format. I think the one in the actual AC installation is in MD2, so I can't do anything with it.

Thanks given by:
I think that would probably work.
are you sure about them being in md2? i found two of them in AssaultCube\packages\models\mapmodels\toca as md3s.
Thanks given by:
Well, I was talking about the one at packages/models/mapmodels/tree01, but I think that's just a poster, lol. I'll have a look at the ones in the toca folder now.

EDIT: Don't think me modeling a tree's going to happen any time soon. What happened to simple trees that were a cylinder with a sphere on top? :|
Thanks given by:
there is at least one like that, i just haven't found the files for it yet. I'll keep looking.
EDIT: nope, those are the only two besides the pine tree and the palm tree. Its just that one looks its round because of the way it's made.
Couldn't you just model a simple tree like that from scratch anyway?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that'd be quite easy I suppose. I don't know if anyone would use it though.
Thanks given by:
They probably would. a limit of two trees is pretty small, so even if they just wanted a few more they would need a simpler tree.
Thanks given by:
ac_forest gogogogo
Thanks given by:
if someone does make a map with alot of trees, don't make it just trees. add something interesting, like a cabin in the middle and some other small buildings (woodshed, outhouse, etc), or something like that.
Thanks given by:
I'd love to see a map containing an alot of trees. :D
Thanks given by:
Didn't R4 make a map called ac_awesometastic? :P

EDIT: It was a joke (very laggy, and with a ton of trees).
Thanks given by:
TALON CHOP!
Yes, annoys me too. That made my day, V-Man.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the help, guys, I finally put together a map of a public bathing house.
Thanks given by:
are you sure you're not gay?
jk, post pics / download for your map
Thanks given by: