ac_westerntown
(This is only my fourth map, so I'm sorry if it's not great)
[Image: ac_westerntownnew1.png]
Download ac_westerntown

Works best in: DM, TDM, CTF

Tested in: TOSOK, OSOK, DM, TDM, CTF

Notes: I have fixed some bugs and made some buildings a little more roomier since the last picture.
Thanks to Mr.Floppy and a_slow_old_man for giving me some tips.

Terms: Feel free to add onto this as long as my credits stay. Do not redistribute this and claim it as your own.

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, just tell me :)
Thanks given by:
Still no comments. Guess you need to build a reputation before anyone cares. Thanks to the people who actually tried it out.
Thanks given by:
Whoa, don't judge yet. Don't double post either. If it makes you feel any better, I hardly download any maps.
Thanks given by:
Try to use a few more textures next time

the prison is pretty cool :) I like it
Thanks given by:
nice map.
tell you what would be epic! saloon doors!
i know there is no way to do that...or to animate them so they move when you walk into them.
Thanks given by:
Now I feel bad for not mentioning it earlier, but I downloaded it yesterday. I'll be testing it later and post feedback here then.
Thanks given by:
No problem, don't feel bad. I'm the one that feels bad. I jumped the gun honestly. I was extremely tired yesterday... xD Not the best time to be posting junk on forums.

Yeh, more textures are needed. But AC doesn't have very many to suit the theme. I tried to make some saloon doors that you could walk through, but it just doesn't look right unless they're hinged above the ground and below the top of the door frame.
Thanks given by:
looks good =)
I wouldn't change anything
Thanks given by:
People were complaining about lag. I never really experienced this, but I deleted some excess mapmodels and made added less but brighter lights. Hopefully this speed things up.
Thanks given by:
U have to watch the "WQD", if reaches 5000 then the room is too big.

You can fix it by adding a wall or something.
Thanks given by:
Haha! Great idea for a map! :D I loved the jailbreak part.
You should add some more details in the saloon in the middle, like an upstairs area (like the other building has).
Also, since there is sky, set all the sky parts to the same height. If there's a difference, a nade lob can end terribly.
[Image: westerntown_sky.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ken_snowytown ftw? BTW nice map hombre.
Thanks given by:
From what I see, you may want to do some more ground detailing with heightfields. Maybe a new technique for you to learn.
Just make cubes a heightfield, and then hold Q and scroll up and down. You will see the corners of the cubes moving. Have fun and play with it.
Notice I haven't downloaded your map :P Sorry, but I generally dont download maps, however, if a server gets set up with it I'll be happy to dl from a server.
Thanks given by:
PERLIN!! DO A PERLIN!!
Thanks given by:
I found that Perlin actually lowers all of your cubes by a horrendous amount. Yes, it would work, but for quality stuff, I suggest hand making it.
I actually dont know what real map makers use...
Thanks given by:
I liked the jail, the piano, and I also like how there's a place where you can look into the second story of one the buildings. I also liked the hiding spot above one of the doors (figure it out for yourselves :P).

However, if there was anything that should be fixed, it would be the skymap level (in V-Man's post) and this:
[Image: 20110219073928acwestern.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wut, your effed up HUD? Only you can fix that.
Thanks given by:
As I said, screwing around with GIMP :D
Thanks given by:
Okay, so set the sky to be consistent throughout the whole map, possibly add more walls. [Done]

@Orynge Is a platform overlapping or are you talking about the wood beam in the door entrance?
I like the place above the door too :) It's great to hide during a CTF standoff where both teams have a flag.

@Ronald_Reagan So make the ground a little more ground like instead of being flat? I can do that. [In Progress]

@a_slow_old_man The WQD hits 3000~ in a few areas. The WVT and EVT(?) Get pretty high but I have no idea what that stands for.

@V-Man Adding more detail to the saloon. [In Progress]

Perlin :O? Can someone explain?
Thanks given by:
go into edit mode, type /perlin # #
With your numbers of choice in the # spots. Play around with it on a /newmap that way you dont screw up this one. I highly suggest doing it by hand.
Thanks given by:
Have a selected field when you type that. ;-)
But yes, a manual heightfield will look a bit better than perlin.
Thanks given by:
And it will avoid weird bugs, such as the selected area dropping by quite a bit.
Thanks given by:
* V-Man makes a script to randomly generate a heightfield
Thanks given by:
:O That might be useful. ^

Also... I'm really freaking out because in many places the WGD reaches above 5,000. I can see adding a few boxes to block that out, but there's no way I can fill in all that area. I didn't think it was that big of a problem. Would it be fine if a few places are left at 5,000 WQD?
Thanks given by:
If it's exactly 5000, I've got no problem with that.
Adding boxes won't lower WQD; /solid 1 will.
edit: Or is that what you meant? XD
Thanks given by:
I.... have no idea. It seems that boxes lower the WQD as long as you're not above them. There's 1 or 2 spots that reach 6000 max. And that's on each side of the saloon doors. The other 5000's are at each RSVF and CLA base.

Edit: Aw... 8,000 at CLA base and 6,000 at RSVF
*facepalm* Now I can see why maps aren't made like the real world.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, try using /solid 1 in more places and see if your WQD improves.
Thanks given by:
extending an existing building will help also , say a building is for ex: 20x20 making it 20x40 will make you have less wqd, since you have to extend solids walls. tweak it in some places, make people walk around places like paths in stead of open spaces that you dont have to do any work to get around.
Thanks given by:
see? this is why i only make small maps, and i mean tiny!
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1853.html...uch+castle
Remember...
Thanks given by:
I've kinda given up on this. I'd have to redesign the whole map and it would take away from the western feel. It will lag in some areas so if you have a slow computer, so some may not need to play it. I've taken all other design ideas and included them.

It's still a fun DM map imo. I'll take all of these tips into consideration on my future maps :)

Thank you all!

Download ac_westerntown

Edit: Textured ground, detailed saloon, added some more features and such for a better playing feel.
Thanks given by: