Concerned player
Over the last couple of months I have started to play AssaultCube.

What I have been noticing while playing is that my computer shuts down and then wont go back to windows. It just shuts down before it gets to windows.

In every case I've had to re-install windows again to be able to use my computer again.

I like playing AssaultCube but the way things are going I'm not game to install it anymore.

My question is can someone do this while your in the game?

From what I can see, by what's been happening to me, it can.

The last time it happened, I'd just said LOL on the game and someone had a go at me, then next thing I know my computer shuts down.

Other times I've been accused of hacking or whatever it's called, even though it wasn't true. I wouldn't know the first thing about cheating in game? Nor would I want to.
Thanks given by:
this sounds quite serious.

i know people can keylog and look at what your doing, but through AC? not sure.
have you got any viruses that might do this?
Thanks given by:
At first I thought it was a virus, but after sometime, re-installing several times, I can honestly say it's not a virus.

Could a virus be placed on my computer while I'm playing?

Something happens to the MBR (Master Boot Registry) as far as I can tell.

It shuts down while booting up.

Not that I'm that knowledgeable, that's why I came on here.

I want to keep playing the game, but without resolving this issue I'm not game to go on again. Since I haven't been on I haven't had this problem?
Thanks given by:
Did you download AssaultCube from this website?
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 12:05AM)Gibstick Wrote: Did you download AssaultCube from this website?

Yep

At least the last few times I have anyway.

Could someone running a server see my ip address and then start to attack me in some way?
Thanks given by:
i would say a boot sector virus but im pretty sure that would get deleted when you reinstalled windows unless you can do it without formatting your hard drive
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 12:18AM)somebody Wrote: Could someone running a server see my ip address and then start to attack me in some way?

I suppose that would be possible, but it seems highly unlikely. do you install anything else before/with assaultcube?
Thanks given by:
Chances of this being a hack or assaultcube related: 1%
Chances of a hardware defect (overheating, hard drive dying, etc, OR a fancy virus): 99%

Did you properly reformat the hard drive when reinstalling your os? Did you scan your harddisk for failures? Have you checked if your fans are all working properly?
Do other games cause this as well?
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 12:28AM)Lantry Wrote:
(12 Feb 11, 12:18AM)somebody Wrote: Could someone running a server see my ip address and then start to attack me in some way?

I suppose that would be possible, but it seems highly unlikely. do you install anything else before/with assaultcube?

Nope
(12 Feb 11, 01:01AM)makkE Wrote: Chances of this being a hack or assaultcube related: 1%

I think the game is ok, just that someone maybe abusing the use of it?

(12 Feb 11, 01:01AM)makkE Wrote: Chances of a hardware defect (overheating, hard drive dying, etc, OR a fancy virus): 99%

I haven't totally ruled this out.

(12 Feb 11, 01:01AM)makkE Wrote: Did you properly reformat the hard drive when reinstalling your os? Did you scan your harddisk for failures? Have you checked if your fans are all working properly?
Do other games cause this as well?

No all is running correctly, and I can play more complex games than this and have no hardware issues.

It's a funny one, I've never had an issue like this in the last 15 years I've used computers. At first I thought it was my modem, it was over heating.
I have tried now several times, insuring that my modem was not overheating and still it occurred.

I've been trying to isolate the problem by not installing anything apart from game, and essentials, not going on the internet and then playing the game. Still it happens?

I may have to just stop playing AssaultCube?

It's been a few days now and I've not had a problem, and I've not gone on AssaultCube?
Thanks given by:
Those more complex games probably don't use openGL. Your modem overheating will not affect your computer unless it blows up, or heats up the rest of your computer. What are the internal temperatures when your computer shuts down (check bios)?
Thanks given by:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say your computer is missing some files of somesort... although not sure what.
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 01:52AM)Gibstick Wrote: Those more complex games probably don't use openGL. Your modem overheating will not affect your computer unless it blows up, or heats up the rest of your computer. What are the internal temperatures when your computer shuts down (check bios)?

System Temperature: 48 c
CPU Temperature: 65 c

Athlon 64 x2 Dual core 5200 (2.71 Ghz) cpu

I don't think my pc is shutting down because of Temp or dust.

I didn't think the modem was the problem but I thought I'd better mention it.
(12 Feb 11, 02:30AM)Prime Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say your computer is missing some files of somesort... although not sure what.

What did you mean, O/S files? (xp pro)

I have latest drivers and directX?
Thanks given by:
Again, AC does not use direct x. Update your gfx drivers!11!1!!
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 01:52AM)Gibstick Wrote: Those more complex games probably don't use openGL.

Many of them do. The CoD series for instance.
Thanks given by:
(12 Feb 11, 03:19AM)Gibstick Wrote: Again, AC does not use direct x. Update your gfx drivers!11!1!!

Ah, I've got the latest drivers for graphics.

I think I'll wait a week and if I'm still not having any problems, go on then and see what happens?

Thanks given by:
If this were an exploit related to AC we'd hear of more cases like this.
If you didn't use the official package (which you say you did) this will probably contain some backdoor-software; but those sort of people usually don't want to kill your machine - they want to make it into a zombie and use it to distribute spam-emails and/or DDoS attacks.
The most likely candidates then - as makkE said - are either your hardware in general or some malicious-virus that has managed to infect you; some are very clever and can even survive a complete exchange of the harddrive (lodging themselves into the e-prom on your mainboard used for the boot-sequence).
The phrase "shuts down before it gets to windows" is probably where you should be taking note of exact behaviour. If it's actually turning off I'd bet on hardware issues, if it's coming up with a blue-screen then the files mentioned there should be taken note of and then you should go hunting for malware, virus and those filenames.
Thanks given by:
(13 Feb 11, 12:36PM)flowtron Wrote: If this were an exploit related to AC we'd hear of more cases like this.

I'm starting to think that perhaps this maybe the case, that it has nothing to do with AC.

In a few days I'll start to go on AC again, so far I've had no re-occurrence of the problems I've had, so hopefully it's not going to re-occur?

Hope it's not on the motherboard, that would really suck.

Been using Ad-aware religiously to insure nothing is sitting around, this time around. I did notice that a while ago when this had occured, I used Spybot and just at the end of the process the computer shut down? So perhaps it was some sort of malware?

Sometimes I've been able to restart the computer, the first couple of times it happened, one of which I tried Spybot.
Thanks given by:
Been on once, on one server for AC for a few games without a hitch.

So looks like it may just be crap from a site I've gone too?

Haven't been kicked from anywhere, or had any remarks made to me, so I'm still not 100% sure yet?

Wish I could remember what server I was on when I had my troubles?

Thanks for all the help that I've received here.

It's sounding more and more unrelated to AC.

Thanks given by:
No problem. Stay safe.
Thanks given by: