City Gates
Hi everyone!
I started this thread to distribute and get more exposure for my map, ac_gates, as AKIMBO doesn't really advertise my map. This forum may not be the right place to do it. If not, feel free to move it somewhere else.

Anywho, back to topic, ac_gates, or its full name City Gates, is an official-type map (realistic sort of setting) set around a small walled town in a sort of desert environment, similar to the setting of ac_desert.

I'd love to know what every one else thinks of it.
Can be found here: City Gates

-Frogulis
Thanks given by:
looks good :)
Thanks given by:
not bad, i like it
Thanks given by:
Any chance you can post some screenshots for us lazy@$$ types that are too bone-idle to download it? A picture paints a thousand words don't you know! ;)
Thanks given by:
Click the link, the preview is on that page.
Thanks given by:
One screenshot? or did I miss something?
Thanks given by:
Ohhh you want more screenshots so you can "explore" the map and pass judgment on it without actually downloading it. You'll need to wait for a while.
Thanks given by:
Haha, ok, I'm one of those lazy-@$$ types, so I'm fairly happy to upload more, but I'm not quite sure what the normal way to upload screenshots is. AKIMBO or something else? This is my first map that I've packaged and released properly, instead of just starting games using it inside of AC so I'm unsure of how people usually do this.
Thanks given by:
Best way is to put them up on images hack or someplace similar.

It's a good start for a map. Have you played both RVSF and CLA sides and feel that they're fair? I get the feeling the kevlar is closer to CLA spawns than to RVSF.
Also, try out more textures and a few mapmodels to spice up the scenery. Huge, imposing walls may be the theme, but that gets boring fast. Make windows, grates, maybe even a portcullis or something. Put up little light fixtures or propaganda mapmodels.
Play with bots and then online and see what it's like as far as general flow from spawn-point to death. You may get more ideas about routes and passageways to open up or close off.
Thanks given by:
so this is one of ur first maps in general right? with this fact it looks okay.
when u finish maps test them in several modes, so u can see where it needs upgrade. there are some places u can get stuck and it needs more structure i guess. :)
but anyway, go on making maps. ac needs more good custom ones. ;)
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the feedback people

screenshots are here: http://img137.imageshack.us/g/2011012810...tesco.jpg/

Hehe, v-man, your space is in the wrong place. i spent a while looking for "images hack"

Those kevlars close to CLA are an attempt to balance out the akimbo close to RVSF base, although it's apples and oranges with those two.

Finally, kleinkariert, how do you mean stuck? Like, bots run into the walls stuck, or large hole in the ground stuck.
Thanks given by:
:( it's hard to tell what they mean when you have to make URL a single clump of letters.

Regarding apples and oranges, you're correct. Put the akimbo in a place where each team has an equal chance to get to it in a given time. Move the armors to an out-of-the-way place so that it takes time to get them, but the player is rewarded for their lost time with 50 armor. :D
Thanks given by:
One thing I noticed (not saying I'm much better ;) ) is that your lighting can be slightly off-putting once in a while. I know a lot more time and care could be used in it, although I rarely can give my own work that kind of care.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for enabling me. Now I'm actually encouraged to download the map. I'm a visual person. :P

I think the single screenshot used on Akimbo isn't actually the best choice. I understand going with the whole "gates" theme but honestly when I see evenly spaced vertical "pillars" like that I think to myself "Here we go, another total noob map with lots of "secret" areas and out-of-bounds areas that lead to nowhere". The other screenshots don't make me think that. Now I'm encouraged to see how the map flows in game, it looks promising.
Thanks given by:
Cool. Fair enough I reckon. I'll keep that in mind for releasing future maps.
* Frogulis likes the use of italics. Have to remember to start doing that. ;)
Thanks given by: