What will my pings be like using mobile broadband?
I live in Australia and I plan on using Optus mobile broadband on my holiday to Queensland in a few months.

I was just wondering, what will my ping most likely be at if I use mobile broadband (specifically Optus mobile broadband)? Will they be really bad or almost the same as normal?
Thanks given by:
i use Bigpond mobile broadband, Its playable but not great
Thanks given by:
(14 Jan 11, 07:46AM)Vermi Wrote: i use Bigpond mobile broadband, Its playable but not great

What are your average pings with mobile broadband?
Thanks given by:
I've used mobile broadband from The Motherland (China) to play AC. Pings were around 500 but I don't remember where the servers were. It was horrible.
Thanks given by:
i tryed to play on a dongle one time...fail.
Thanks given by:
Is that a euphemism?
Thanks given by:
[Image: 1111494579.png]
not ideal for gaming
Thanks given by:
@eftertanke:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-dongle.htm
Thanks given by:
(14 Jan 11, 09:03PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: @eftertanke:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-dongle.htm
Hehe I know what it is :D The sentence itself was just funny sounding.
Thanks given by:
And then there's Princess Dongle.
Thanks given by:
(14 Jan 11, 07:52PM)Vermi Wrote: [Image: 1111494579.png]
not ideal for gaming

151 ms? That's not so bad, right? Surely if I played on Australian servers, my ping wouldn't be that much worse than that? I get like 70-100ms on Australian servers on my normal internet.

I'm just saying that if my ping was around 151-200 ms, it would still be very playable.

EDIT: I live about 2 hours from Adelaide in a rural part of South Australia, but I most likely will be using the mobile internet in the Q1 in Queensland if I will get mobile service there.
Thanks given by:
151ms is the best case scenario.
Thanks given by:
Using mobile broadband and AC works fine normally.

... but only for clients (not servers, that's just stupid).

The connection will mostly rely on your distance from the mobile tower, the interference between you and the tower, the amount of connections being handled actively by that tower, the quality of your broadband stick and how crap or un-crap your provider is
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 11, 02:19AM)Destroyer20000 Wrote:
not ideal for gaming

151 ms? That's not so bad, right? Surely if I played on Australian servers, my ping wouldn't be that much worse than that? I get like 70-100ms on Australian servers on my normal internet.

I'm just saying that if my ping was around 151-200 ms, it would still be very playable.

EDIT: I live about 2 hours from Adelaide in a rural part of South Australia, but I most likely will be using the mobile internet in the Q1 in Queensland if I will get mobile service there.

i usually get 120ish to NZ servers

sometimes under 100 on a good day
Thanks given by:
Try finding a connectivity report that tests for reliability as well.
Thanks given by:
http://pingtest.net
Thanks given by:
not ideal for gaming

Sadly, my internet is probably worse than that at my house Dx
Thanks given by:
Well, I live in rural Tennessee, USA, and I use wireless broadband. I get fairly low pings (anywhere from 40 to 80). I have included a speedtest.net test (pun intended) to a server in Chicago (which is couple hundred miles from where I live)
[Image: 1114056306.png]
Because of AC's low bandwidth usage, all you really need to worry about is your ping.
Here is another test from pingtest.net
(do i detect a pun ?)
[Image: 32367715.png]
Thanks given by: