Multiplayer bots?
Hi,

I am new to Cube and Assault Cube, am playing it multiplayer with my 5yr old son on our home LAN (he enjoys it but of course is just learning).

We would like to add some bots to make it more interesting. Would be good to control the skill level too (iykwim) so as not to put my son off...

Everything I found on the internet/forums etc seems to say that Cube/AssaultCube don't support multiplayer bots. Anyone out there know any differently?

Finally though, Google found this on the official AssaultCube website no less: http://assault.cubers.net/docs/cube_bot-readme.txt
This talks about a Cube mod that provides for multiplayer bots.

Looking through all the documentation on the official AssaultCube website I can't find where it is linked too (all the bot commands explicitly say they won't work in multiplayer mode).

Finally I found the relevant website: http://cubebot.bots-united.com/

This talks about the latest version being 0.32 from 17-Oct-2005, with no subsequent development detailed.

Anyone have any experience with this topic, or the mod mentioned here, or why the official AssaultCube website contains this doc but no (at least I couldn't find any) mention of how to use it/download it etc.

Regards,
fttb.
Thanks given by:
- removed by Moderator (Mr.Floppy) -
Thanks given by:
@pufig: WTF is your problem?

@fttb: in AssaultCube, bots don't work in Multiplayer. You may want to try Sauerbraten, which has multiplayer bots (and is the successor of Cube)
Thanks given by:
Certainly wouldn't force him to. He likes it. Would like to find some "players" at his skill level is all (other than me pretending to be).

Are you able to provide a more informative answer?

Thanks,
fttb.
Thanks Tempest.

Yes, we had a look at Sauerbraten but one of our machines doesn't seem to be high spec enough.

Anyway, just wondering what the AssaultCube plans were in this direction since the AssaultCube website is where I first found the info/docs about CubeBot...

Thanks given by:
The devs do plan on adding bots to multiplayer sometime in the future.
For the moment, though, singleplayer with bots is the only way you'll be able to get them in a vanilla installation. If you know how to code, I'm sure you could find a way to spawn bots in a modified client multiplayer setting, but of course there are many problems to solve, so it wouldn't be a one-day thing.
Your son can play team bot matches, which often seems a bit more like multiplayer -- Bot TDM and Bot TOSOK.
The skill levels are selected in the singleplayer menu after the mode.
Mid-game, you can add new bots using a couple different methods:
/addbot (CLA / RVSF) (skill) (name)
/addnbot (number) (CLA / RVSF) (skill)
Thanks given by:
I don't want to hijack the thread but I have to ask: Are there any games that you won't let your son play? (I'm not casting any aspersions one way or the other, just morbidly curious)
Thanks given by:
Sauer doesn't require that high end hardware, it's running fine on my crappy old Sempron 1,6ghz 1 gb ram and integrated GF 6100 128MB. Of course you must lower resolution to 800x600 and propably turn shaders off but constant 30 fps is a playable limit, in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 06:49PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: The devs do plan on adding bots to multiplayer sometime in the future.
Hoo-<insert-vulgarity-for-emphasis-here>-ray!!! I'm very pleased to hear this. It will add a whole new side to the game :D
(04 Jan 11, 06:49PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: For the moment, though, singleplayer with bots is the only way you'll be able to get them in a vanilla installation. If you know how to code, I'm sure you could find a way to spawn bots in a modified client multiplayer setting, but of course there are many problems to solve, so it wouldn't be a one-day thing.
Your son can play team bot matches, which often seems a bit more like multiplayer -- Bot TDM and Bot TOSOK.
I was under the impression that bot modes were broken at the moment?
Thanks given by:
I don't think they're broken, they're just not very smart at finding their way around, frequently getting stuck or unable to get to some areas of a map.
Thanks given by:
This is probably impolite (jacking this guy's thread for a topic only slightly related) but meh.

I was referring to the fact that when I am playing with bots, in score list all of them are constantly displayed as fragged, and rounds don't end until I die. Am I the only one with that problem? I was told it was because singleplayer mode was broken.
Thanks given by:
Thanks all for the helpful comments. Any ideas on timing as to when bots will be added? With the CubeBot mod readme on the AssaultCube website I thought there would be a version of that working..

@DES|V-Man: Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it. He really wants to be in a game with me, so ideally we would try 2vs2 with the opposing team very low skill bots... :-)
@Darkbee: Its not so much about prohibiting him, but rather what I choose to introduce him to (BTW if you have a Wii then Boom Blox Bash Party is an unsung legend with the kids). He spends most of his computer time "playing" X-Plane and watching various kids movies etc we have encoded and store on the home LAN share drive. I probably wouldn't want him to play a lot of games, most of which I don't know about myself, but he's not (yet) out there surfing and hearing about them. I doubt many other kids in his class have a computer yet. He also seems pretty good at separating real/pretend and shows no interest in actually knifing/shooting me in real life compared to in-game "Daddy, keep still!" :-)
@Tempest/FleshyPod: Thanks, I'll have another go at tuning Sauerbraten.

Regards,
fttb.
Thanks given by:
It's just an interesting topic to me, having a 5yr myself. I am definitely NOT in the camp that says that computer games turns all kids into violent little psychos. Blaming Grand Theft Auto for real-life murderous acts is rediculous in my opinion (I see more violence watching a half hour of television in the US). However, there is undoubtedly a line and finding that line is very hard these days. As for teh Internets, that's a whole 'nother nightmare that my parents didn't really have to worry about.

I don't let my 5yr old play AC but he's certainly aware of guns, tanks, soldiers, war, death, destruction, so I do have to wonder if my "shielding" him really has any great, lasting impact. I do know that I don't want him to see two girls and a cup any time soon, so there are definitely limits.

Thanks for your response.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 09:27PM)Darkbee Wrote: Blaming Grand Theft Auto for real-life murderous acts is rediculous in my opinion (I see more violence watching a half hour of television in the US).

Family Guy lol.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 08:10PM)eftertanke Wrote: when I am playing with bots, in score list all of them are constantly displayed as fragged, and rounds don't end until I die.
I've not heard of your problem, have you reported it in the 1.1 bug report thread?
Thanks given by:
I have not. Since I was told bot mode was broken, I assumed it was a known problem. Should I just report that text or would you like more information (screenshots, etc)?
Thanks given by:
As much information as you can concisely report should be quite useful.
Here, I'll make it easy for you.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jan 11, 08:48AM)DES|V-Man Wrote: As much information as you can concisely report should be quite useful.
Here, I'll make it easy for you.

Hehe. Thanks but I'm not sure how to use that link. Could you explain it for me? /trolol
Thanks given by:
Click on it...
Eh, looks like you figured it out. GJ
Thanks given by: