Demos on servers
I run 3 servers and sometimes i will be playing in one and at the end of the game I will request the demo from the game that i just played in. Instead of giving me the demo i ask for it gives me the demo of my other server that was being played in at the same exact time. Is this a typical problem or what? This has happened to me multiple times and I have made sure i was downloading the right demo
Please help, Thanks XD
Thanks given by:
I would guess that this happens if you have all the servers running from the same binary (executable file). Try making duplicates of the file (eg. ac_server1.exe, ac_server2.exe, ac_server3.exe) and run them separately.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure? Because AFAIK the demos you can request in-game are stored in memory, so it's (yes, really) impossible that another server instance reads that. Even if it tried to for some reason, that would result in a segfault.
Thanks given by:
Would you like me to show you? Im sure you would get the same result i do when trying to get a demo
Thanks given by:
I'm not saying you're just talking shit or anything like that. But, as far as I can see, it's just impossible.

EDIT: I just tried it, and everything worked as it should (server: Justin Bieber).
Thanks given by:
Tempest, I don't doubt that you know more than me about what's happening at the software/hardware interface level, but it does happen; trust me. Here's my client log from when I joined a .:*rAgE*:.GODSPEED server to get a demo back in December:
MOTD:
.:*rAgE*:. GODSPEED by armed |PUBLIC|
***CHEATING/HACKING/ABUSING/RACISM/TKING/IMPERSONATING=BLACKLIST*** -JGAN
rage-assaultcube.webs.com
new round starting... fight!
listing demos...
Choose the demo number you wish to download, as show below in the console.
1. 12/14/10 17:49:14: ctf, ac_iceroad, 1.04MB
2. 12/14/10 17:59:24: team deathmatch, ac_rattrap, 1.10MB
3. 12/14/10 18:11:34: hunt the flag, ac_power, 1.67MB
4. 12/14/10 18:23:44: hunt the flag, ac_keller, 1.22MB
5. 12/14/10 18:24:44: keep the flag, ac_elevation, 1.34MB, 8 mr
getting demo 4...
writing to file: D:\Program Files\AssaultCube_v1.1\demos\HTF_ac_keller_2010.12.14_1823.dmo
received demo "demos\HTF_ac_keller_2010.12.14_1823.dmo"
Here's a screenshot of the demo file that was downloaded:
[Image: demo_error.jpg]
The "[nc | server I - camping allowed]" server is on the same IP.
Thanks given by:
I had the same problem when I was running the 5 U|Canada servers way back when. I would get random demos from other servers when requesting a demo.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 10:43PM)jamz Wrote: ***snipped***

That has happened to me on multiple occasions. I believe it was on a *rAgE* server the most recent time(s).
Thanks given by:
EDIT: snipsnip, forget what I said. I think I know what's going on now. While recording a demo, the server writes the recorded data to "demos/demorecord". So if you run multiple servers from the same directory, that causes a conflict. However, I don't know for sure why you get a usable demo at all - wouldn't it be just junk?

EDIT2: This only "works" on Windows, since on UNIXoid systems the POSIX command tmpfile() is used, where "The filename is guaranteed to be different from any other existing file."

(04 Jan 11, 10:43PM)jamz Wrote: Tempest, I don't doubt that you know more than me about what's happening at the software/hardware interface level
Obviously, I don't/didn't :P
Thanks given by:
yea, those servers have a tendency to do that :/ sorry
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 06:46PM)tempest Wrote: I'm not saying you're just talking shit or anything like that. But, as far as I can see, it's just impossible.

EDIT: I just tried it, and everything worked as it should (server: Justin Bieber).

Thats the problem I am having tempest...I keep getting the Justin Bieber server demos, Try going into a ~M-M~ and get a demo from there, you will get what was going on in the JB server.
And also you mentioned Windows but i Use Mac O.S.

Thanks given by:
(05 Jan 11, 03:35AM)JB|JustinBieber Wrote: Try going into a ~M-M~ and get a demo from there, you will get what was going on in the JB server.
So that happens every time, or just most times?

Just for clarification: the file name on the demo you get is correct, but that file's content is actually the wrong demo? Hmmmh...

(05 Jan 11, 03:35AM)JB|JustinBieber Wrote: And also you mentioned Windows but i Use Mac O.S.

Clarification again: does the server run on a Mac?
Thanks given by:
Everytime ive done it, it happens o.O and yes it is the right NAME but not the right demo :(

sorry, I downloaded the demos on Mac but I run the servers on Windows XP
Thanks given by:
(05 Jan 11, 11:05AM)JB|JustinBieber Wrote: sorry, I downloaded the demos on Mac but I run the servers on Windows XP

Alright, then that is indeed the problem.
Devs, fix pl0x. filestream::opentemp() should create unique files on Windows (can't use tmpfile() there since that needs admin privileges - damn MS retards)
Thanks given by: