How fast does wireless internet have to be to run a server?
Im getting 2.99 mbps and it wont run a server, so how fast?
Thanks given by:
Speed (or more correctly, bandwidth) is not the issue, latency and reliability are.
(As well, you haven't specified if that is download or upload speed, and upload is much more important than download).

Wireless anything is inherently unstable, and there is also more time to transfer packets because of the time to send and receive the packets via wireless (although this is not really an issue compared to the instability of wireless internet).
Thanks given by:
2.99 mbps?
Thats the speed you get from your computer to your router or the speed you get from your ISP?

I run a wireless server with [Image: 1094671740.png]
Thanks given by:
[Image: screenshot20110102at913.png]
is wat I just got
Thanks given by:
how many topics do u start a week?
Thanks given by:
41 threads since joining on November 21, 2010 (~6 weeks ago) = 6.83 threads started per week.
Thanks given by:
yes, but does that rlly have ANYTHING to do with the thread???
Thanks given by:
no, but it proves you are still an ubertroll who has never heard of the search function (*cough* rant *cough*).

http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_setup

im not working on the wiki for nothing. the specs (speed/bandwidth-wise) remain the same for wireless. what changes is how reliable your connection is :P
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 12:16AM)fox_ares Wrote: yes, but does that rlly have ANYTHING to do with the thread???

no lol sorry my bad sorry for spam
Thanks given by:
Is this resolved now?

If not then maybe you should define...
(03 Jan 11, 03:20AM)fox_ares Wrote: ...it wont run a server...

Does the server application report back an error saying "Sorry, your wireless connection sucks, better luck next time!".

It might have nothing to do with your bandwidth or connection quality at all and everything to do with a misconfiguration on your part e.g. not forwarding ports correctly or the server connecting wirelessly is not setup to use a static LAN IP.

FWIW, you really should use a cable connection to your router for a server if at all possible. Wireless could give you all kinds of unforseen problems.
Thanks given by:
Perhaps he is stating that his internet is wireless, think RocketHub. and to compound the problem he is passing the signal to his (Laptop/PC) via Wi~Fi...

Yikes.
Thanks given by:
You mean you have actual wireless internet connection or just normal wired broadband and WiFi around the house? With the former, the speed doesn't matter since you'll always have more lag that I do between eating moldy cheese and having a massive diarrhea.
Thanks given by:
That is a great analogy for a server I played on the other day...
Thanks given by: