Virus??
wtf, lol. Just recently I have been getting viruses from what seems to be my AC servers. Is it even possible to get a virus through a server? Ugh. I can get rid of it but it just crashed my servers. My Q is, CAN you get a virus through a server? Idk im trippin right now....Please dont yell at me lol.
EDIT: Can you get a virus this way?
EDIT2: unnecessary content deleted
Thanks given by:
Through a server you are running? I guess if there is a vulnerability in the server (or in your implementation of the server) a malicious user could use it to cause the computer running the server to download malware. It would depend, though. If you post more details we can determine whether it actually has anything to do with AC.
Thanks given by:
lol, I got 2 viruses for downloading the game. you try spyware??? XD
Thanks given by:
Gratz on the first post of 2011 UTC.
Thanks given by:
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_security
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 11, 07:52AM)fox_ares Wrote: lol, I got 2 viruses for downloading the game. you try spyware??? XD

I have a paid for version of antivirus that so far can not be stopped and has deleted everything I have accumulated. When downloading I always have it on, but apparently when I got this virus, my antivirus was off. I usually dont run my antivirus with the servers because they tend to lag that way, but I do weekly virus scans etc.
Thanks given by:
Where did you download your version of AssaultCube? Did you download it from another site?
Also, what antivirus software are you using? And where did you download it, was it the official site?
Did you make your server using the server_wizard.bat or set it up by filling out the appropriate config files and launching server.bat?
Also, are your server ports set up as port and port + 1 (ex: 28763 and 28764)? Those are the default ports.
If you are able to, can you do a scan with your antivirus software and tell us the details of any viruses that come back?

If you can give us a little more detail to the above ^ and what kind of virus, spyware or malware it is we may be able to help you out. But as far as I know if you follow the appropriate precautions suggested in the wiki or are cautious as to where you download your version of AC you should be safe.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 11, 05:26PM)ikljo Wrote: Where did you download your version of AssaultCube? Did you download it from another site?
Also, what antivirus software are you using? And where did you download it, was it the official site?
Did you make your server using the server_wizard.bat or set it up by filling out the appropriate config files and launching server.bat?
Also, are your server ports set up as port and port + 1 (ex: 28763 and 28764)? Those are the default ports.
If you are able to, can you do a scan with your antivirus software and tell us the details of any viruses that come back?
I downloaded Assault Cube directly from this site.
I am using Zonealarm Extreme Anitvirus and I have had it on my computer for about 2 years and I Downloaded it from the creators site.
I use server_wizard.bat but I use the serverpwd file for admin passes so that I can change admin quickly.
My ports are configured correctly and I currently have six open to allow three different servers.
If I remember correctly, the results from the scan said the virus was an exploit of some sort, but I did get rid of it no problem.
Thanks given by:
My guess would be that the only possible place for malware to get to your server is in maps. But how and/ or what I couldn't say.
Thanks given by:
Would you care to show us what these viruses were, and how they were detected?
Thanks given by:
I found your problem: YOU USE WINDOWS xD, other than that idk
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 11, 04:32AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: wtf, lol. Just recently I have been getting viruses from what seems to be my AC servers. Is it even possible to get a virus through a server? Ugh. I can get rid of it but it just crashed my servers. My Q is, CAN you get a virus through a server? Idk im trippin right now....Please dont yell at me lol.
EDIT: Can you get a virus this way?
EDIT2: unnecessary content deleted

If it's an exploit, it most likely is not a virus but instead a trojan downloader, perhaps where it will bind to a specific port and spawn payloads on the target machine by secretly downloading them. This does not necessarily mean AC is to blame. If your antivirus reports it as a virus, then most likely your download was infected while you re-downloaded AC and that can happen if there is already an existing infection on your machine, but it wouldn't spread across your network and instead just mass infect files.

Yes it is possible. By crashed servers you mean the executable is corrupt when you run it? or something stopped the server unexpectedly while running? meh, this whole topic is really vague.

Open cmd
Output your netstat -ano
Output your tasklist

Otherwise :/
Thanks given by: