Moment of invulnerability
Maybe it isn't realism but it would prevent people to get angry:)
A common situation: You run and shoot. Enemy shot you when you were pressing left mouse button to release a spray of bullets - you respawn at middle of fireline of two another players, you die. And again. And again...
What about adding moment from respawn where player cannot be damaged, but that player cant fire though, only move? This should be a very short while, about 1 second. What you think?
Thanks given by:
i belive this has been discussed before. i'm sure sure what outcome they came to though. it seems like a good idea to me.

it would stop those "sorry i betrayed you" moments at the start of TOSOK games. and spawn campers would be a thing of the past.

EDIT: my view has changed, although a good idea, it would change gameplay dramaticly.
Thanks given by:
No. The spawned player already has an advantage of having full hp.
Thanks given by:
Not sure how I feel about this idea, I need time to digest it.

The only time spawn camping should be a problem is when one team has way more players than the other team. Otherwise it's just a question of teamwork and choosing the right moment to spawn. Spawn camping can be annoying but it's part of the game IMHO, just like the occasional accidental team killing (friendly fire).
Thanks given by:
A compromise I suggested is being able to see your spawn point in the moments before spawning. This would alleviate most of the spawning trouble, but also avoid completely changing gameplay with invulnerability finagling.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 08:39PM)Gibstick Wrote: No. The spawned player already has an advantage of having full hp.

Doesn't matter when your getting shotgun'd at 2 inches....
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 10, 03:23AM)Dark$aint Wrote:
(21 Dec 10, 08:39PM)Gibstick Wrote: No. The spawned player already has an advantage of having full hp.

Crouch :D
But seriously, the shotgunner doesn't survive for long.

Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 10, 03:56AM)Gibstick Wrote:
(22 Dec 10, 03:23AM)Dark$aint Wrote:

Crouch :D
But seriously, the shotgunner doesn't survive for long.

I beg to differ.
Yesterday I Played CTF and I was spawn killed 5 times in a row.(I rage-quit)
It gets really annoying, I don't want to have to ragequit ever time someone runs into our spawn and continuously spawn kills us.
Thats why I mostly stick to T/OSOK.

Thanks given by:
I'll stop now, before I sound ignorant. How about 400ms of invulnerability? It's probably the slowest AC reaction time and it gives you just about half the time necessary to kill an enemy under normal circumstances.
Thanks given by:
I have never had a problem of spawn killing, to be honest. I think it is mostly because I usually hold the "forward" key before spawning, so I instantly move :)
Thanks given by:
you know what I hate more than spawn killing?
when I successfully get into the base, get the flag and begin my run out in low HP and some guy that I killed 5 seconds ago spawns and kills me :c

but these are things we get over, I wouldn't like this change implimented
Thanks given by:
400ms is good.
I'd rather have that than nothing.
Thanks given by:
Remember that you can wait and choose when you want to spawn. This is especially helpful in team games. An invulnerability timer will only ruin gameplay.

If you had any sort of tactics, you wouldn't spawn immediately.

For non-team games, where you will have generally no idea where you spawn, that can be a bit problematic, but do keep in mind that you have higher hp, and you can instantly move out of the way and go for the easy kill.

I've never had a problem with being spawn killed.
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 10, 06:25AM)Syntax Wrote: Remember that you can wait and choose when you want to spawn.

Sometimes you can't when you burstin subgun and suddenly someone kills you from behind - you spawn immediately because you keep pressing mouse.
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 10, 09:22AM)FleshyPod Wrote:
(22 Dec 10, 06:25AM)Syntax Wrote: Remember that you can wait and choose when you want to spawn.

Sometimes you can't when you burstin subgun and suddenly someone kills you from behind - you spawn immediately because you keep pressing mouse.

Are you suggesting this is an infinite cycle? If so then you need to gain control of your limbs and let go of the mouse for 5 seconds. You might want to turn off any strobe lights that are running too.

Like I said before how about something like:
/% Help! We have a spawn camper

Heck, why not even have a voicecom message:
"Return to base!", "Defend the base!", "Death to the Spawn Campers, over!"

I have to admit, I'd be curious to see what impact 400ms of reaction time would do to alleviate the problem. I suspect not a whole lot, and any longer than that would run the risk of altering gameplay too radically.

Thanks given by:
Two seconds in (T)DM modes, five seconds in arena and flag modes. Two seconds is a long time to figure out you've died and should let go of your mouse button!
Thanks given by:
If invunerability is not a good idea I've got another one, much simplier. To spawn, click right mouse button, not left, to prevent accidental spawning :)
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 10, 08:29PM)FleshyPod Wrote: If invunerability is not a good idea I've got another one, much simplier. To spawn, click right mouse button, not left, to prevent accidental spawning :)
To prevent accidental spawning what about having control of your own body?

Thanks given by:
Wolf has the right idea, how are you accidentally holding LMB for 5 seconds after you spawn? if your reaction time is that bad, then you shouldn't play AssaultCube.
Thanks given by:
This is what playing FPS is all about. Sometimes ur the statue and sometimes ur the pigeon
Thanks given by:
I spawn camp because I like the taste of flesh
Thanks given by:
(23 Dec 10, 07:50AM)MorganKell Wrote: I spawn camp because I like the taste of flesh
WAT
Thanks given by:
It's useless idea. No point of CTF if you get pursued by an immortal every time you grab the flag.
Thanks given by: