LAN game but no internet
is this possible? I have 6 computers at work that id like to LAN with but is it possible to have one machine running as the server and the other 5 connecting to it.. so far i've only seen ways to connect IF you connect to the master server online... this is not possible where i work.

thanks in advance.

Thanks given by:
Yes it's possible, use localhost/ as masterserver. (-mlocalhost/ in the server launcher: serverautoconfigured.bat)
Thanks given by:
Im new to this so not sure where to put that...
Thanks given by:
You don't need a masterserver for a LAN game. And also, read the documentation here before asking questions. If you had, this thread could have been avoided all together.
Thanks given by:
that guide mentions nothing about LANs period. the "get started guide" is of no help. how bout a little help instead of immediate attitude. if you had, this post would be over.
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 10, 09:04PM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: that guide mentions nothing about LANs period. the "get started guide" is of no help. how bout a little help instead of immediate attitude. if you had, this post would be over.

I believe this page might be the documentation that eftertanke is referring to.

I've never done it myself but I imagine that it's simply a case of choosing one of the player's PC's to be the server (as well as a client). The documentation implies that you can run both on one PC quite happily but you should choose the most powerful PC with the most stable connection (i.e. Wired connection to router is preferred over wireless for server).

Then everyone simply connects to that server using "/join [LAN ip address of server]"

I could be wrong though. :)
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 10, 09:29PM)Darkbee Wrote:
(20 Dec 10, 09:04PM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: that guide mentions nothing about LANs period. the "get started guide" is of no help. how bout a little help instead of immediate attitude. if you had, this post would be over.

I believe this page might be the documentation that eftertanke is referring to.

I've never done it myself but I imagine that it's simply a case of choosing one of the player's PC's to be the server (as well as a client). The documentation implies that you can run both on one PC quite happily but you should choose the most powerful PC with the most stable connection (i.e. Wired connection to router is preferred over wireless for server).

Then everyone simply connects to that server using "/join [LAN ip address of server]"

I could be wrong though. :)

Ya I read that. But its REALLY vague. Do I modify the server.bat file? Do I create a new server using the server wizard and if so how? I'm pretty saavy on computers. But I can't find anywhere to put my IP address in so the other computers in the network can connect.

BTW thanks for the help and not just strong-arming me with "read the forums" first nonsense. I did that and its no help. I appreciate it.
Thanks given by:
You don't need to put your IP address anywhere from what I can tell. The other users on the LAN should know your IP address (because you'll tell them what it is). Additionally, it's not necessary to register your server to the masterserver (as somebody already stated). Even if you do, it won't matter because if you haven't set up port forwarding nobody outside of your LAN will be able to connect anyway.

I just tried running ac_server.exe inside bin_win32 folder on the command line (I'm assuming you're using Windows, maybe wrongly), and it kind of works for me, except that it complains that it can't find the maps, but that is probably because I'm using the PortableApps.com version of AC (I usually just play, not setup servers). So I'm guessing if I corrected those path issues (by using the standard installed AC version instead), that I'd be all set.

Just try doing exactly what the page says that I linked to and see what errors you get back on the command line. I agree that the documentation could be a little more detailed but such is the nature of the open source community. I guess we should be thankful there is any at all. ;)

Thanks given by:
Open server.bat for editing.
Make it look like this:
bin_win32\ac_server.exe -mlocalhost %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

Connect all your computers to the same local network.
Run the server on a computer connected to the network. It will be the server. You can (usually) also run the client (actually play the game) on the same computer.
On each computer that is connected to the local network, go in the main menu > multiplayer > join a LAN server. Your LAN server should show up as available! Join it! Frag the guy sitting next to you! MUAHAHAHAHA!
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 10, 10:09PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: ...
On each computer that is connected to the local network, go in the main menu > multiplayer > join a LAN server. Your LAN server should show up as available!...

Wow, that's funny. That shows you how much I pay attention. I'm so conditioned into pressing Escape->Return->Return that I never even noticed that is an option. *facepalm*

That makes connecting a breeze then once you have the server up and running. :)

Thanks given by:
It's probably worth stressing that all AC servers function as LAN servers. The -m switch is only to prevent (or change) masterserver registration. If you're running a server, anyone on the same subnet should be able to connect.

edit: ...oh, and there's a command if you want to keybind it - /lanconnect.
Thanks given by:
Also one load off your back is, dont worry about port-forwarding. You dont need to do that in LAN games ;)
Thanks given by:
Sweet. I'll give it a shot.
(20 Dec 10, 10:09PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Open server.bat for editing.
Make it look like this:

Run the server on a computer connected to the network. It will be the server. You can (usually) also run the client (actually play the game) on the same computer.
On each computer that is connected to the local network, go in the main menu > multiplayer > join a LAN server. Your LAN server should show up as available! Join it! Frag the guy sitting next to you! MUAHAHAHAHA!

now that's what I'm talking about. Short sweet and to the point. Thanks V-man. Tonight someone from the office dies via frag!!!
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 10, 09:54PM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: Ya I read that. But its REALLY vague. Do I modify the server.bat file? Do I create a new server using the server wizard and if so how? I'm pretty saavy on computers. But I can't find anywhere to put my IP address in so the other computers in the network can connect.

Just thought I would mention: http://assault.cubers.net/docs/commandline.html
Which states:
" In the AssaultCube folder, there is a file named "assaultcube.bat". Right click this and open it with "notepad" to edit the clients launcher. Also, after using the server wizard, in this folder will be "server_autoconfigured.bat". Right click this and open it with "notepad" to edit the servers launcher."
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 12:25AM)Zarj Wrote:
(20 Dec 10, 09:54PM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: Ya I read that. But its REALLY vague. Do I modify the server.bat file? Do I create a new server using the server wizard and if so how? I'm pretty saavy on computers. But I can't find anywhere to put my IP address in so the other computers in the network can connect.

Just thought I would mention: http://assault.cubers.net/docs/commandline.html
Which states:
" In the AssaultCube folder, there is a file named "assaultcube.bat". Right click this and open it with "notepad" to edit the clients launcher. Also, after using the server wizard, in this folder will be "server_autoconfigured.bat". Right click this and open it with "notepad" to edit the servers launcher."

Ya that's makes sense NOW. But there is no reference to -mlocalhost anywhere there. Just saying edit it doesn't really help the beginner. In any case I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help everyone.
Thanks given by:
Quote: Sets the server to register itself against masterserver M. M is the base url of the master server and has to end in a / and without a http:// prefix, the default is masterserver.cubers.net/cgi-bin/AssaultCube.pl/. If you want your server to be private and not report to the masterserver, use -mlocalhost.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 01:00AM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: Ya that's makes sense NOW. But there is no reference to -mlocalhost anywhere there. Just saying edit it doesn't really help the beginner. In any case I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help everyone.

If you had read the documentation you would have seen -mlocalhost right here and right here.
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 10, 10:39PM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: Tonight someone from the office dies via frag!!!
Haha! I wish the people at my work would be more keen on AC; there are moments where nothing is happening because all our work is finished. Then we could have some serious LAN tournaments!
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 01:35AM)eftertanke Wrote:
(21 Dec 10, 01:00AM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: Ya that's makes sense NOW. But there is no reference to -mlocalhost anywhere there. Just saying edit it doesn't really help the beginner. In any case I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help everyone.

If you had read the documentation you would have seen -mlocalhost right here and right here.

It's a good thing we have forums for this kinda thing. All that up there ^ is gibberish. A beginner like me has no idea what that means. All I asked is that someone just explain how to do it because what I was doing wasn't working (hence the need for such a forum) OR maybe its just an outlet for the knowledgeable to belittle the inexperienced. Who knows. I wonder wwhat I can ask tomorrow that may light your fire. Thanks again V-man. And all others who responded with help on a forum in the HELP section...
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 02:15AM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: It's a good thing we have forums for this kinda thing. All that up there ^ is gibberish. A beginner like me has no idea what that means. All I asked is that someone just explain how to do it because what I was doing wasn't working (hence the need for such a forum) OR maybe its just an outlet for the knowledgeable to belittle the inexperienced. Who knows. I wonder wwhat I can ask tomorrow that may light your fire. Thanks again V-man. And all others who responded with help on a forum in the HELP section...

I'm sorry? The step by step guide isn't enough "help" for you. I understand.
Thanks given by:
All this talk of the masterserver is completely irrelevant is it not? Even if the server reports to the masterserver, if the user hasn't setup port forwarding then nobody outside of the LAN will be able to connect to it. So who cares? Sure it might waste some resources and bandwidth, but I can't imagine it's liable to bring the masterserver to its knees. The most important part here is getting a server up and running.

For the record, some of you here are beginning to sound like Linux-RTFM-command-line-man-page-snobs, which I despise. Those are the worst kind of people because they actually believe that they are advancing mankind with their arrogant belittling, when in fact they are doing just the opposite. I'll say no more about it, I just thought I'd get it off my chest though.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 02:26AM)eftertanke Wrote:
(21 Dec 10, 02:15AM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: It's a good thing we have forums for this kinda thing. All that up there ^ is gibberish. A beginner like me has no idea what that means. All I asked is that someone just explain how to do it because what I was doing wasn't working (hence the need for such a forum) OR maybe its just an outlet for the knowledgeable to belittle the inexperienced. Who knows. I wonder wwhat I can ask tomorrow that may light your fire. Thanks again V-man. And all others who responded with help on a forum in the HELP section...

I'm sorry? The step by step guide isn't enough "help" for you. I understand.

I bet you're a blast to hang out with. Lol.
(21 Dec 10, 02:51AM)Darkbee Wrote: All this talk of the masterserver is completely irrelevant is it not? Even if the server reports to the masterserver, if the user hasn't setup port forwarding then nobody outside of the LAN will be able to connect to it. So who cares? Sure it might waste some resources and bandwidth, but I can't imagine it's liable to bring the masterserver to its knees. The most important part here is getting a server up and running.

For the record, some of you here are beginning to sound like Linux-RTFM-command-line-man-page-snobs, which I despise. Those are the worst kind of people because they actually believe that they are advancing mankind with their arrogant belittling, when in fact they are doing just the opposite. I'll say no more about it, I just thought I'd get it off my chest though.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks given by:
Darkbee is a well known troll. Look up Andrew Feng and you'll see what I mean. And why I don't value his input.

You should read the freaking manual before asking for help. On the forums it says to read the docs and wiki first, I'm not going to encourage anyone to hold your hand, nor will I do it myself.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 03:12AM)eftertanke Wrote: Darkbee is a well known troll. Look up Andrew Feng and you'll see what I mean. And why I don't value his input.

You should read the freaking manual before asking for help. On the forums it says to read the docs and wiki first, I'm not going to encourage anyone to hold your hand, nor will I do it myself.

I guess in that case you couldve just left the topic alone instead of throwing in your god like "I'm better than you" attitude. As I've said before I read the manual but none of it made sense. It was in command line *sshole jargon.

THIS WAS THE SAME INFO IN A COMMON LANGUAGE

(Open server.bat for editing.
Make it look like this:
Code:

On each computer that is connected to the local network, go in the main menu > multiplayer > join a LAN server. Your LAN server should show up as available! Join it! Frag the guy sitting next to you! MUAHAHAHAHA!)

Arrogant prick.
It makes no sense if you're reading something in Hungarian if you don't speak Hungarian. I asked for help, if you didnt want to you didn't have to. If I said is there something I can read in pompus programming nerd language I guess you couldve chimed in.
besides you have 25 more posts than I do and I just started today. That hardly qualifies you as the forum traffic cop.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 03:36AM)bfdm_mexi Wrote: I guess in that case you couldve just left the topic alone instead of throwing in your god like "I'm better than you" attitude. As I've said before I read the manual but none of it made sense. It was in command line *sshole jargon.

The point is that we already have dozens of empty servers reporting to the MS and we don't need more. Especially not ones run by people who are going to come back here with complaints that their server is "being hacked" or that people are "evading bans." If you aren't intelligent enough to figure out that the information provided on the Wiki and docs is the same that was given to you here, you're going to end up being a headache in the future.

If I were you I'd watch your language and attitude.
Thanks given by:
I'd close this thread now.
I just realized that this whole thread was irrelevant, because to run a LAN game, you really only need to start the server. If your ports aren't already forwarded, then you should be fine to go.
Seriously, I have no idea how a help thread turned into a flame war.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 03:12AM)eftertanke Wrote: Darkbee is a well known troll. Look up Andrew Feng and you'll see what I mean. And why I don't value his input.

So, I'm Andrew Feng? That's news to me. As is the fact that I'm a well known troll. Guess I'll just wait for the admins to ban my forum account then.

You are losing the plot in this thread. :|

Ronald_Reagan Wrote:I'd close this thread now.
F1
Thanks given by:
V-Man said it best, go with god.

Rule#22 eftertanke.

I hope the LAN party went swimmingly! Tell us how it went please.
Thanks given by:
This is the last post I'll make in this thread about eftertanke.

eftertanke,
1). I dont know what your deal is but im just not seeing your angle here. The title on this thread is "LAN game but no internet". So for you to stand behind,

[The point is that we already have dozens of empty servers reporting to the MS and we don't need more. Especially not ones run by people who are going to come back here with complaints that their server is "being hacked" or that people are "evading bans." If you aren't intelligent enough to figure out that the information provided on the Wiki and docs is the same that was given to you here, you're going to end up being a headache in the future]

makes no sense. Im on a company LAN that has no internet... none... not even dialup... not even a tethered signal... nothing... so all this babble is just you making up an excuse to be GOD on a forum.

2). Its obviously not as clear cut as you think it is because before V-man posted there were like three different guesses using master servers and god knows what else.

3). [If I were you I'd watch your language and attitude.] Dont threaten me, when you started up with the attitude in the first place with your "if you had" crap. I mean seriously are you going to slap me down with your intangible backhand. NO.

and 4). For the record, some of you here are beginning to sound like Linux-RTFM-command-line-man-page-snobs, which I despise. Those are the worst kind of people because they actually believe that they are advancing mankind with their arrogant belittling, when in fact they are doing just the opposite. I'll say no more about it, I just thought I'd get it off my chest though. -Darkbee

Just wanted to put that up one more time because it says so much. After that comment you proceed to flame him like you have some online vendetta against anyone who doesnt understand command line BS.

(21 Dec 10, 06:03AM)Bullpup Wrote: V-Man said it best, go with god.

Rule#22 eftertanke.

I hope the LAN party went swimmingly! Tell us how it went please.

It went great Bullpup, we only played about an hour but we all know how we rank in the office. We used to play COD MW (we still do) but its nice to mix it up. Weve just started to play C&C over LAN just recently so its cool to have a couple backups when you need to decide on a change. (usually its whoever gets the first knife kill, USUALLY gets to decide on whatever it is we were playing for... aka whos buying lunch, etc.)

Thanks for the help all.
Thanks given by:
Stop turning threads into shitholes! This thread was closed way too late! From the beginning of post 4, eftertanke misunderstood. Then people followed.
Summary: Since you are on a LAN with no internet, there is no need to do anything because the server cannot access the masterserver. Your ports probably aren't forwarded either (Ronald mentioned that). In case you did need anything,
-mlocalhost
would do (samsat mentioned that) in your servercmdline.txt OR in your server launcher, usually server.bat.
I quoted a section of the docs that talked about -mlocalhost, but it is true that you did not know what to look for, and we all know how great the docs are. It's normal to post links to the documentation, hoping that people understand, but common courtesy usually kicks in and some of us provide alternative descriptions. I'm just scared of patronizing.
Thanks given by: