blacklisting
Hey I know how to blacklist people from my own individual servers, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I added my ip address first, then later tried a range and got onto another computer, but I was still able to get into my servers. I wrote it to my server blacklist file and the servers acknowledged it and said that no errors occurred. I even tried restarting the servers but no luck. I also went onto a different network that i also range banned as a test but still, I was allowed back on. Any tips on how to fix this for actually banning people come time? All help appreciated!

edit:
Sorry, I just Realized I put this in the wrong forum...
Thanks given by:
Have you added this switch in your launcher?
-Bconfig/serverblacklist.cfg
Thanks given by:
I did not, because it says it defaults to it and my servers claim to be reading that file already.
Thanks given by:
Are you testing this on the same computer/network as the AC server? If so, you may be banning your public IP, but the AC server is only seeing your private LAN IP.
Thanks given by:
Well I also tried this on my friend. He told me his ip and I put his exact ip into it and no errors occurred except that he could still get on.
Thanks given by:
It's odd that you (apparently) alone are suffering from this. Could you possibly post your blacklist file, or the relevant part of it, here? Use [­code]...[­/code] tags if it's big. And maybe a log extract that shows the blacklist file being parsed, with debug on, if possible.
Thanks given by:
blacklist file:
I can continue to update this:

70.135.105.1 - 70.135.105.127
174.252.1.1 - 174.252.255.255 (dynamic ip)

Server Log:
logging local AssaultCube server (version 1104, protocol 1132/104) now..
read 58 map rotation entries from 'config\maprot.cfg'
read 0 admin passwords from 'config\serverpwd.cfg'
read 4 (4) blacklist entries from 'config\serverblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
read 0 + 0 entries from nickname blacklist file 'config\nicknameblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
dedicated server started, waiting for clients...
Ctrl-C to exit
looking up assault.cubers.net...
master server registration succeeded
Thanks given by:
(14 Dec 10, 05:17PM)|FOX|X-Ray_Dog Wrote: blacklist file:
75.34.197.1 - 75.34.197.127

change to:
75.34.197.1/127
and tell us if that works?
Thanks given by:
Don't. It wont. CIDR addressing
The 75.34.197... address should be 75.34.197.127. His IP is static.
97.127.33.147 is a dynamic IP. If this was your friend, his IP could have changed.
192.168.38.38 is (I'm sure you know) an internal address, so probably your attempt to ban yourself.
Does the log definitely show a connecting client from a banned IP?
Thanks given by:
(15 Dec 10, 12:56AM)jamz Wrote: The 75.34.197... address should be 75.34.197.127. His IP is static.
97.127.33.147 is a dynamic IP. If this was your friend, his IP could have changed.
192.168.38.38 is (I'm sure you know) an internal address, so probably your attempt to ban yourself.

192.168... is my friends actual ip address that he doesn't change. 75.34... is someone else i want banned from my server but he changes his ip so i did a range. and yes the log shows a connecting banned ip. I already removed my own ip and kept my friends in there but he can still connect.
Thanks given by:
(15 Dec 10, 08:33AM)|FOX|X-Ray_Dog Wrote: 192.168... is my friends actual ip address that he doesn't change.
I don't doubt that, but it's an internal IP, ie. only computers on his LAN can see that IP. Your server will see his external, or public, IP, which he can tell you, or you can get from your server log when he connects.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure because my ip starts with 192 just like his because of the area and I did get blacklisted one time from a server for aimbot hacking (which in this case the admin was just a noob and I never hack) so I changed my computers 192 ip address leaving my public one exactly the same and I was able to get onto the server again. Also when my friend connects, my server shows me his 192 ip.
Thanks given by:
192.168.38.38 IP Address WHOIS | DomainTools.com
IP Location: Private Ip Address Lan

Try using What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address
Thanks given by:
or just add 0.0.0.0/0 to the blacklist to ban every possible IP address. (Haven't tested this, but it should work)
Thanks given by:
Quote:FOX|Troll: my ip starts with 192 just like his because of the area

-if i combine your other post about wi-fi internet IP addresses and this thread, I can safely say to you -Carefull, ur troll is showing
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 10, 07:01PM)tempest Wrote: or just add 0.0.0.0/0 to the blacklist to ban every possible IP address. (Haven't tested this, but it should work)
Trust me, it works. I accidentally banned half the IPv4 spectrum with a missing digit on a range ban. I soon heard about it.
Thanks given by:
Well something must have been wrong with the file because I replaced it with the same file from a different computer and now it works :) I could have changed it in a way I was not supposed to so thank you everyone for your help! Also I already have name imitators banned, yay!
Thanks given by:
Good job anyway, guys.
Thanks given by: