Poll: A.C On Sauerbraten?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F*** Yeah!
32.56%
14 32.56%
F*** No!
51.16%
22 51.16%
F*** Maybe!
16.28%
7 16.28%
Total 43 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Assault....Sauerbraten?
Well,forgot to say hi :).I'm a fellow player from Argentina,South America.

I've always loved A.C.,as it doesn't need a TOP END PC to play plus it has the ability to create maps on the fly.

Now,I've always wondered why no one has suggested or spoke about a conversion of this to Sauerbraten.

Sauerbraten is "Cube 2",boasts a excellent optimization,has a s***load of eyecandy,has greater mapping capabilities than "Cube 1" (That's the main reason why I ask this),and lotsa more features.

I've always loved to make bunkers and multiple stories buildings,something which is not possible in A.Cube.

So what do you think? I do reckon it would be hard, but what about only porting the textures,models and scripts to Suaerbraten?

Mind you english is not my first language,so grammar mistakes are to be expected.
Thanks given by:
You mentioned that you liked how it doesn't need a top end pc. Well, that is one of the key aspects keeping it from moving to the Sauer engine. It would also take a lot of time and energy as you said.
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 10, 01:58AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: You mentioned that you liked how it doesn't need a top end pc. Well, that is one of the key aspects keeping it from moving to the Sauer engine. It would also take a lot of time and energy as you said.

I can play both A.C and Suaerbraten on my 6200.

Thanks given by:
Both on high? The heavily modified Cube engine that AC uses is enough for our purposes. Plus it'd look ugly because most of our textures aren't hi-res. Think of how much work they have to do fixing the current game!
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 10, 02:25AM)Gibstick Wrote: Both on high? The heavily modified Cube engine that AC uses is enough for our purposes. Plus it'd look ugly because most of our textures aren't hi-res. Think of how much work they have to do fixing the current game!

Yes,both on med-high.
Look at HL Source,it doesnt look ugly and it plays fine.

What a shame,the mapping capabilites of Sauerbraten will never be experienced by this marvelous mod :(.
Thanks given by:
The real shame is that Sauerbraten will never have the uber-l33t scripts AssaultCube has, unless they stoop down and backport the new idents. :-P
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 10, 01:26AM)merce_AR Wrote: Now,I've always wondered why no one has suggested or spoke about a conversion of this to Sauerbraten.
Not true ... was like dozens of times already ... :D

well, this is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong process and really hard to manage, but the future will show ...
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 10, 07:17PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: unless they stoop down and backport the new idents. :-P
The cool thing is that there aint no shitty idents in Cube 2 any more :P

Of course there are, but you don't need to declare them any more, and there's no difference between functions, idents and variables.

Thanks given by:
"don't need to," as in "don't get to?"
D:
* V-Man hides from Sauerbraten
Thanks given by:
If you play sauer a bit you will notice a lot textures we have in AC too
Thanks given by:
And BTW, your computer may run Sauer, but mine can't :/
Thanks given by:
I play them both :) but yeah i have a mac OSX snow leopard, still i don't think AC can be fun with Cube2 i love it the way it is (so far)
Thanks given by:
i play both game,my fps is simply divided by 2 on sauerbraten.can't play at high level on sauerbraten.
Thanks given by:
I've been saying this repeatedly: The AssaultCube community is very diverse, we have those that come to this game because they like the concept, those that want a free CS (and then find out they want us to totally change the game) and those that just can't play any other fps. We also have people who have gaming hardware and are frustrated that AC is so low-tech oriented - those are the ones calling for high-def textures, ragdolls and using the octree.
There may come a time when AC is considered to have matured "enough", then maybe development will move on to a new project like AssaultBraten - but until then the few hands (and boy am I grateful to each pair of those!) that are investing sweat, love and time into this project will be focused on the original paradigm this project was started with: a teamplay-oriented fps-game that runs on the lowest possible hardware requirements.
Thanks given by:
Well, both source codes are availabe. In the same way AC is an offspring of the originial it's not impossible to create an AssaultBraten. Therefore you need some skillfull coder, designer, mapper, tester and alot of time. But the result won't be just "AC with Sauer-Engine", it would become a different game.

Cause that it might be better to create a new fps game from the scratch rather to try a transforming process (my opinion). Otherwise you will not only take over the good AC features, you do the same with game design errors.
Thanks given by:
Have to say the first time you play sauer and you either grab a flag, score one etc. you are clapping your hands together in excitement realising they have the same flag sounds.
Thanks given by:
I tryed saur, and the damn thing actually crashed. Lagged for fifteen minutes beforehand. Badass guns though.

Thanks given by:
First off, the people should stop with mixing up "Cube2: Sauerbraten" (the game) and "Sauerbraten Game Engine" (the engine).

Beside this, there are also other OS grafic and game engines available. So if someone is really interested in making an "AC-like-game with a different engine" he can choose Quake III, Crystal Space 3D and others too. The basic problems are the same: You have to do total conversion again.
Thanks given by:
Apollo, you're so right - especially about the "start from scratch" part; just want to mention this wouldn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Just like you said: it'd be a new game, one could benefit from previous experiences (good and bad).
Thanks given by:
nope not right, it´s not a little effort and it won´t be in a little while :P
Thanks given by:
Lol, I love the attitude of some people.
"Devs, it can't really be that much work to completely port the game over to a new engine. I've never written a line of code in my life, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help, but you should do it."

:p
Thanks given by:
;) Zarj.

Dear Devs, it can't really be that much work to completely port the game over to a new engine. I've never written a line of code in my life, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help, but you should do it.

- Jason.

Thanks given by:
Discussions here just don't seem to lead anywhere useful .. well, almost never, anyway. Case in point: see above
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 10, 09:51AM)Apollo{TyD} Wrote: So if someone is really interested in making an "AC-like-game with a different engine" he can choose Quake III, Crystal Space 3D and others too. The basic problems are the same: You have to do total conversion again.

Why that minimalism, Unreal 3 Engine is opensourced now(you know, Gears of War and such a things). If this is not enough for ya, CryEngine is partially opensourced though(Crysis, Far Cry) :)
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 11:06AM)FleshyPod Wrote: Why that minimalism, Unreal 3 Engine is opensourced now(you know, Gears of War and such a things). If this is not enough for ya, CryEngine is partially opensourced though(Crysis, Far Cry) :)

You misunderstood practically everything. Unreal Engine 3 is not open-source. The Unreal Development Kit is not open-source either, it's just free to use for non-commercial applications.
In case of Crysis and Far Cry (1, I suppose) I have absolutely no idea what should be open-source (or even free as in beer) there.

This whole post of yours makes no sense at all anyway, so why bother.
Thanks given by:
Well, that’s a lot of discussion about playing Assault along with a converted version to Sauerbraten which seems to be getting mixed reactions from the players!! Actually, it isn’t a bad idea and I am sure that with a little effort we’ll see this happen in a little while, if I am not mistaken!!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that analysis, Eye in the Sky!
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 11, 06:35AM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Thanks for that analysis, Eye in the Sky!

Or as I like to say:
Are you a bot? If not please read this.
Quote:19. Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol”, "+1", or ”cool.” Only post responses when you have something to contribute. The only exception to this rule is in the off-topic forum.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 10, 11:06AM)FleshyPod Wrote:
(16 Dec 10, 09:51AM)Apollo{TyD} Wrote: So if someone is really interested in making an "AC-like-game with a different engine" he can choose Quake III, Crystal Space 3D and others too. The basic problems are the same: You have to do total conversion again.

Why that minimalism, Unreal 3 Engine is opensourced now(you know, Gears of War and such a things). If this is not enough for ya, CryEngine is partially opensourced though(Crysis, Far Cry) :)

Cause it's not necessary to enlist every game engine to make my point.

Thanks given by:
would the fact that maps in a version of cube 2: ac would be lots smaller then ones in saucer today mean it would run better/faster?
Like a laggy map affect?

im sure if this began others would come forward to help with whats needed
Thanks given by: