tricks for mapping?
does anyone know anymore tricks other then these: making a wall see through on 1 side, and not the other, creating walk through walls, making models with see through sides blend end, etc...

anyone know anymore??
Thanks given by:
No, I don't know any more ways to spill ketchup onto my work of art.
Thanks given by:
(09 Dec 10, 03:42AM)fox_ares Wrote: creating walk through walls
AFAIK this is considered lame.

Thanks given by:
Just warning you, when I see a map that isn't the best thing in the world, and they have things like that, I just find a new server.

AFAIK, there will be restrictions on these techniques later on.
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 10, 01:09AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Just warning you, when I see a map that isn't the best thing in the world, and they have things like that, I just find a new server.

AFAIK, there will be restrictions on these techniques later on.

I hope these restrictions don't happen. Most of the time I want to play on ladder servers and see how my skill is (or isn't haha...) improving. But once in a while I'll specifically go play on a server with a fun looking map name. If you don't want to play on one of these maps, well... can't you choose not to?
Thanks given by:
Old "Crap" Maps:
-Ezjemville, Twintowers
Usually large open sniping spaces

Current "Crap" Maps:
-Maps with see through walls, awkward gameplay (duck hunt), any "techniques" you listed
Now forced smaller maps Krizzly style
Thanks given by:
Those aren't tricks nor techniques.

Those are plain bugs, which will be fixed if seen neccessary and possible, that's it. Absolutely no need for throwing in all your half-knowledge about mapping.
Thanks given by:
one mapper used this bug in toilets of his school map :P you shoot players in their moments :P but someone probably shot dev in his moment and therefore they wanna probably fix it :/

Thanks given by:
I dont like to use thoes 'tricks'. They have 'noob' written all over it. Altho you can make fun maps with em. DuckHunt is great fun when a decent admin is on.

I dont see how they are bugs, however. I mean it certainly dosnt prevent someone from making good maps. And why take away the crazy maps? They are fun and people have plenty of other choises. :/

Thanks given by:
NO!!! Those are good bugs!!! They let us be more creative!! =( Dont take them away!!!
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 10, 10:05PM)GunZ|Maj.Hillis Wrote: I dont like to use thoes 'tricks'. They have 'noob' written all over it. Altho you can make fun maps with em. DuckHunt is great fun when a decent admin is on.

I dont see how they are bugs, however. I mean it certainly dosnt prevent someone from making good maps. And why take away the crazy maps? They are fun and people have plenty of other choises. :/

no offense maj, but imho, that is the worst map i have ever seen. absolutely no fps/cube gameplay integrated. i dont allow it when im admin :P
Thanks given by:
lol Im not offended, I didnt make it, but apparently many like it. I dont see why they should restrict the ticks/bugs tho...it dont really cause a problem unless you have no idea what you are doing xD.

Like they say: if it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 10, 02:10AM)GunZ|Maj.Hillis Wrote: lol Im not offended, I didnt make it, but apparently many like it. I dont see why they should restrict the ticks/bugs tho...it dont really cause a problem unless you have no idea what you are doing xD.

Like they say: if it ain't broke, dont fix it.

i agree with that part :S haha
Thanks given by:
AssaultCube mapping is not about what the engine can do for you, but what you can do with the engine. And this isn't meant as an encouragement to find loopholes in the heightmap-geometry-structure, but meant as a challenge to get a good enviroment going for a match where there's no problem even for the lowliest box able to run the game.
This might be confusing to some teenagers out there that didn't start their fps-career with Wolfenstein .. but AssaultCube has these "restrictions on creativity" (*) built-in by design. If you need more freedom to create your world, you should move to the Cube2 engine (e.g. Sauerbraten) or just stick to playing good maps made by people who understand S-Curves and Visual-Occluders (term correct?).
Just look at stuff relating to the BSP-based engines (like DooM/Quake) .. for example this paper on mapping for a BSP engine

____
(*): term used to pander to said teenagers, it's not meant to limit the creativity, but it definitely makes ascendancy from "tinkerer" to "master mapper" a time and sweat consuming effort!
Thanks given by:
I just don’t see the harm in a few nutty maps. Its not like 90% of the servers have weird, laggy maps like 1.0.4.

Yalls game though not ours.

BTW, AC is the most modern game I play (except sauer on occasion).
Thanks given by:
Maj, you're missing the point.

Those unintended features are bugs, that is. Sure, everybody can play around with them, but it's not recommended to produce buggy maps in general. Like you're not expecting a game to be buggy, right?

Calling those "tricks" or "techniques" is blatant confusing.
Thanks given by:
Gah XD

I know they are bugs Im just saying they rarly appear when you dont want them too so I dont see them as a problem. Anyway what I think dont mapper I'm just a mear matter.

PS: Dont let Duck_Hunt make you think all RM maps are like that :|

Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 10, 11:36PM)flowtron Wrote: AssaultCube mapping is not about what the engine can do for you, but what you can do with the engine. And this isn't meant as an encouragement to find loopholes in the heightmap-geometry-structure, but meant as a challenge to get a good enviroment going for a match where there's no problem even for the lowliest box able to run the game.
This might be confusing to some teenagers out there that didn't start their fps-career with Wolfenstein .. but AssaultCube has these "restrictions on creativity" (*) built-in by design. If you need more freedom to create your world, you should move to the Cube2 engine (e.g. Sauerbraten) or just stick to playing good maps made by people who understand S-Curves and Visual-Occluders (term correct?).
Just look at stuff relating to the BSP-based engines (like DooM/Quake) .. for example this paper on mapping for a BSP engine

____
(*): term used to pander to said teenagers, it's not meant to limit the creativity, but it definitely makes ascendancy from "tinkerer" to "master mapper" a time and sweat consuming effort!

if nobody can persuade about useless boundaries, the boundaries should be implemented in input and not after outputs. Some mapper spend 7 weeks in singleplayer, then release map and he get "restriction message". Probably creator of engine was mapping noob by your words so you should fix it by 3 IF statements.
Thanks given by:
AFAIK, that is planned for a future release (if not the next one).
Thanks given by:
Alien, sorry but your pseudo-hippy-attitude is seriously getting on my nerves.

Either you start to learn that there's not everything possible (if we only wanted it much enough) in this darn world or you learn to code yourself and make the most free and creative game engine ever seen on this planet. Or just do your homework and at least try digging a little deeper into the inner workings before you start ranting about Wouter's mapping skills.

And so again and again and again:

It is not about limiting creativity, it's about keeping this game compatible to low-end machines and to keep the overall idea/concept. If you can't cope with those, just leave it and look for another toy to play with. If you think it's limiting that man has no wings, how do you think we actually made it to the moon? Maybe a bad analogy, but this is what we're trying to tell you for at least half a year now.
Thanks given by:
*hippie
Other than that, +1. I don't really concur with the usual statements made by devs about map quality and map restrictions, but this
(13 Dec 10, 06:48PM)Alien Wrote: so you should fix it by 3 IF statements.
is ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
Somewhere i read that creating engine is for one whole life, you will create your first and then the rest of life you improve it, i don't know if it is right, but i believe it. So don't except from me something this. I have seen his outputs and especially i like Far Cry. I don't try to compare him with anybody here. We are just playing shits.
From beginning there were small, normal and big maps but suddenly in 2010 AC people decided to create limits there. Laggy maps were normally (no hippie) naturally unselected from custom package because of their unplayability by lag . But even with lag you could see something interesting. I think Cube is good start for learning "leveling" but also for express something next. Nobody force you to play this but why to prohibit it. You are not able to limit Ezjemvill through server list so you limit all others.
flowtron had arguments, you say nothing

ofc it would be a bit harder with that if statements, each command effecting that parameter must be corrected

Thanks given by:
Alien, I won't bother you anymore, it's nothing but a waste of time. You've got no point but whining for freedom and something you confuse with creativity and whatnot. Seriously, do as you please and keep repeating youself forever and another day...

I'm done with you.
Thanks given by:
i agree it is wasting time and it leads nowhere, the game has its leaders and it will be how they say, not as some Alien in forum. I don't bother or flame, i just discuss that way. (i had inner fight don't answer flowtron) It is not unfriendly and i have nothing against you. So sorry if you have such impression.
Thanks given by: