reconnect from a ban with same IP how?
I don't think so either, but it was about the only way I could see there, so I'd like to have confirmation.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 11, 02:26PM)Darkbee Wrote: If the "hack" is simply to use another instance of AC then the portable version for Windows at PortableApps.com would be a perfect solution. You can "install" that as many times as you'd like to different folders. It's self-contained so it looks like a completely new instance from a programatic stand-point.
.................................. [the rest was omitted to save room]

Couldnt you just instead use a sandboxing program to install isolated instances? With that, you would have actual AC installations, instead of portable ones (although, im not sure if it would make a difference)

Or, couldn't you just install AC multiple times in different directories?
Thanks given by:
Errr... Why? Portable instances function in exactly the same way as an installed instance, except that any registry entries or files left on the local PC are moved to the portable drive after AC closes by a "launcher" program. In effect, it's a sandbox of sorts but a lot less hassle. Using a real sandbox seems like a helluva lot of extra work to me without much (any?) added benefit.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting this IS how this trickery is perpetrated, to be honest, it doesn't even make sense that it would work but you never know.
Thanks given by:
This is really an issue of IP address.
Thanks given by:
But didn't the ban evader have the same public IP address? The local IP should be irrelevant, the server shouldn't have any knowledge of your local IP. Unless you're suggesting that AC does have knowledge of it and even makes use of it? I don't really see how that's helpful, since it's trivial to change your local IP.
Thanks given by:
Neither-nor. It's certainly a bug in AC.
Thanks given by:
Couldn't he have changed his IP through his modem/router? It always happens to me that when I turn off, then turn on my router my IP changes. But only the last bit, I think.
Thanks given by:
He could. There's always a (high) chance you could end up with the same IP. It's easier and more guaranteed if you simply force it yourself. Then you can choose whatever you like. But yes, rebooting the router could potentially reassign you a new local IP.
Thanks given by:
For about the tenth time now: what your IP in your local intranet is doesn't matter to the outside world. They won't even know it.
Thanks given by:
I'm taking a wild stab at this.

The person is most likely using a DMZ configuration so the static internet IP address is assigned on his local PC and on the router without using DHCP. However, the subnet mask was probably changed very slightly to still allow functionality and might evade the ban if the 2 values (Static IP & Subnet at the time of banning) don't match up.
Thanks given by:
Still...
There's something else going on if the server says, "I hereby ban 88.163.251.84 and refuse to allow that IP address to connect!" And then 15 seconds later says, "Oh hello 88.163.251.84, welcome to the server! I won't disconnect you."
By looking at just the IP, and the IP matching what's on its ban list, it should refuse connection regardless of static/subnet.
Thanks given by:
I think what tempest is saying is that we're barking up the wrong tree and that it has nothing to do with IP address at all. There's another problem in the AC (server) code somewhere. Typically, applications that operate over the Internet only care about your public IP address and usually have no knowledge of your LAN IP, nor do they care (unless of course you're running a LAN only service/game). That's why we have to do port forwarding, so that the router knows which computer to send any given packets to.

I've been speculating based on casual observations and having no knowledge of how AC functions, but in all honesty even my own speculations don't really make sense to me. There has to be another explanation.
Thanks given by:
Suppose the client connects using the other port (28764)?
Thanks given by:
Errr.. I don't think the client gets to choose which ports can be used. That is dictated by the server and each port has a distinct use, they aren't interchangeable as far as I know. Again, way outside the scope of my knowledge of AC, and I'm hazy on networking in general anyway! xD

My port forwarding comment was just a general comment, not really related to AC specifically or this problem directly. Although, naturally you do have to forward ports if you're running an AC server.
Thanks given by:
Take a look for yourself:
bool isbanned(int cn)
{
    if(!valid_client(cn)) return false;       // tempest: this _might_ be the cause (highly speculative!)
    client &c = *clients[cn];
    if(c.type==ST_LOCAL) return false;
    loopv(bans)
    {
        ban &b = bans[i];
        if(b.millis < servmillis) { bans.remove(i--); }
        if(b.address.host == c.peer->address.host) { return true; }     // tempest: this is where the check happens (normally :S)
    }
    return checkgban(c.peer->address.host) || ipblacklist.check(c.peer->address.host);
}

b.address is of type ENetAddress, and if you look here, you'll see that host is a uint32 into which a 32-bit IPv4 address just fits. It does not check the port and only the public IP address!
Thanks given by:
So if you can spoof an invalid client number you can evade the ban check? :S It sounds so simple. :)
Thanks given by:
Just that - in theory - you can't because - theory again - it should disconnect you. (And I don't know how it would be possible to give youself an invalid cn anyway!).

Edit: And it won't even process your input, for starters:
if(valid_client(cn)) process(event.packet, cn, event.channelID);
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 11, 04:44PM)Darkbee Wrote: Errr.. I don't think the client gets to choose which ports can be used. That is dictated by the server and each port has a distinct use, they aren't interchangeable as far as I know. Again, way outside the scope of my knowledge of AC, and I'm hazy on networking in general anyway! xD

My port forwarding comment was just a general comment, not really related to AC specifically or this problem directly. Although, naturally you do have to forward ports if you're running an AC server.

Sure the client can chose... that's how clients work. Ever try running two clients on one machine? It'll pick a free port.
Thanks given by:
You know, this has only been reported once. Hasn't happened before, and hasn't been reported since. I wonder if it was a one-(or close-to-one-)time glitch.
Thanks given by:
well he has control over it as ive witnessed it more then once.. so its an exploit/glitch somewhere
Thanks given by:
Same person?
Thanks given by:
yes, using same name
Thanks given by:
Wolf and Sebacious saw it happen again today. A blacklist report was filed.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't blacklist those people until we're sure it's their fault. Just sayin'.
Thanks given by: