How many servers can this hold?
An Alienware desktop with HIGH speed internet, how many servers can it hold?
Thanks given by:
The computer has about 0 to do with the number of servers you can run. It's all about your internet connection.

Read this for bandwidth requirements:
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_requirements

Almost any machine should be capable of running a server, I had an 1.8 GHz P4 running several servers with average CPU usage probably around 5%.

If you want the exact number of people who can play on you connection, go to speedtest.net, run the test, and post results here.
Thanks given by:
for some reason, i have a 54mbps connection to my computer and my internet is beyond fast, yet my servers lag with only two 16 player servers. i have a decent computer and fast internet connection, yet they lag when near or completely full. this goes against whats written in the ac wiki.
Thanks given by:
I think you have wireless internet which can lag. If you wired Internet it may be better.
Thanks given by:
54mbps is the connection from you to your router.
Thanks given by:
yeah it is wireless. my router is hard to access for a wired connection from my desktop. I did though try a wired connection one time through my laptop and i still had the same problem.
Thanks given by:
*facepalm* sigh...
(09 Dec 10, 03:12PM)Zarj Wrote: The computer has about 0 to do with the number of servers you can run. It's all about your internet connection.

Read this for bandwidth requirements:
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_requirements

Almost any machine should be capable of running a server, I had an 1.8 GHz P4 running several servers with average CPU usage probably around 5%.

If you want the exact number of people who can play on you connection, go to speedtest.net, run the test, and post results here.

you want to find your upload and download speed, not your local (ping) speed. use http://speedtest.net like zarj said
Thanks given by:
As has already been stated here:
1. 54 Mbp/s is the speed of a G wireless router, this is not your internet connection speed.
2. DO NOT use a wireless computer to host a server. Wireless connections are extremely unstable.
3. Your upload speed is going to be much, much more important than your download speed. Many people have "awesome" internet connections that are NOT capable of hosting a server, they have little to no upload speed.
Thanks given by:
whats the best wired internet?
and you do need RAM and space in your pc for it, alienware, shoot, u got enough for a shit load of stuff in it, and u still have more then half
Thanks given by:
Well, I have no idea what the best Internet Service Providers in your area are, and I doubt you are going to spend more money on an internet connection just for an AC server...
What I mean is: plug your computer in if you are going to host a server.

As for the computer itself:
Any new computer bought in the last decade is completely capable of hosting servers for AC.

Edit:
Again, the limiting factor is your internet speed. Go to speedtest.net to find out how fast it is.
Thanks given by: