wine for assault cube
ok i have ubuntu linux 9.04 and i i got it to download and i tried to open it and it pulles up a terminal to load it and when it gets so far it makes my cp crash what do i do now?
Thanks given by:
Have you tried running it outside of Wine (i.e., downloading the Linux binary or compiling for your own system)?
What error messages do you get?
What video card/drivers do you have?
Thanks given by:
I like rye for assaultcube,
ya like v-meng said, use the linux binaries ya nix freak
Thanks given by:
I’ll have a glass of pinot gris, please. Cheers!
Thanks given by:
yes i have tried to run outside wine but when I double-clicked it nothing happend. i have no idea about the graphics card
Thanks given by:
@masterrob: open a terminal, cd to the directory where you installed AC, and run
assaultcube.sh
Please tell us the result.
Thanks given by:
i don't know about command lines for terminals
Thanks given by:
Download the Linux version AssaultCube - Download it! to your desktop.
Right-click -> extract here.
Go to the folder it creates -> double-click the «assaultcube.sh».

This guide you can easily follow but you need to change the version number to match the current Assaultcube version witch is 1.1.0.4
guides:64bit:assultcube [LxGC -- Linux Gamers Codex]

To make a shortcut in your Games menu just double-click «install_desktop_menu.sh»
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 10, 01:16AM)masterrob213 Wrote: i don't know about command lines for terminals
Then it's about time you learn :)

Thanks given by:
i do double-click the «assaultcube.sh». and it gives me 4 options to run in terminal to display it to cancel and to run it i click run in terminal a terminal pops up and goes away in less then a second i click display it does nothing you should know what cancel does and when i click run nothing happens. it also says when i double-click it "assaultcube.sh" is an executable text file. so what now?

and when i open it as a text document it reads #!/bin/sh
# CUBE_DIR should refer to the directory in which Cube is placed.
#CUBE_DIR=~/cube
#CUBE_DIR=/usr/local/cube
#CUBE_DIR=./
CUBE_DIR=$(dirname $(readlink -f "${0}"))

# CUBE_OPTIONS contains any command line options you would like to start Cube with.
#CUBE_OPTIONS="-f"
CUBE_OPTIONS="--home=${HOME}/.assaultcube_v1.1 --init"

# SYSTEM_NAME should be set to the name of your operating system.
#SYSTEM_NAME=Linux
SYSTEM_NAME=`uname -s`

# MACHINE_NAME should be set to the name of your processor.
#MACHINE_NAME=i686
MACHINE_NAME=`uname -m`

case ${SYSTEM_NAME} in
Linux)
SYSTEM_NAME=linux_
;;
*)
SYSTEM_NAME=unknown_
;;
esac

case ${MACHINE_NAME} in
i486|i586|i686)
MACHINE_NAME=
;;
x86_64)
MACHINE_NAME=64_
;;
*)
if [ ${SYSTEM_NAME} != native_ ]
then
SYSTEM_NAME=native_
fi
MACHINE_NAME=
;;
esac

if [ -x ${CUBE_DIR}/bin_unix/native_client ]
then
SYSTEM_NAME=native_
MACHINE_NAME=
fi

if [ -x ${CUBE_DIR}/bin_unix/${SYSTEM_NAME}${MACHINE_NAME}client ]
then
cd ${CUBE_DIR}
exec ${CUBE_DIR}/bin_unix/${SYSTEM_NAME}${MACHINE_NAME}client ${CUBE_OPTIONS} "$@"
else
echo "Your platform does not have a pre-compiled Cube client."
echo "Please follow the following steps to build a native client:"
echo "1) Ensure you have the SDL, SDL-image, OpenAL, and OpenGL libraries installed."
echo "2) Change directory to source/src/ and type \"make install\"."
echo "3) If the build succeeds, return to this directory and run this script again."
exit 1
fi
Thanks given by:
Above this line...
if [ -x ${CUBE_DIR}/bin_unix/${SYSTEM_NAME}${MACHINE_NAME}client ]
add this line:
SYSTEM_NAME=linux_
then try again.
Thanks given by:
I think you should click on the run button, not on the run in terminal button.
Thanks given by:
«Run» or «Run in Terminal» will run the game.
If you use «Run in Terminal» you will have a Terminal window open and all outputs from game can be read in it.
I have mine running via Terminal and have made Terminal not to close itself when i close game.
Pic

If tempest idea didnt work have a look at:
Linux Support - AssaultWiki
Thanks given by:
i still get a black screen when i run or run in terminal and i have to restart my computer and i have everything i need to play it sooo now what?
Thanks given by:
masterrob213: you seem to be very new to the *nix world .. you don't need to restart your computer. For one thing you could just pass "-t" to your binary to make it use a windowed-mode instead of fullscreen. But even if it's "hiding" your desktop - you still have (at least 5) consoles. Press Ctrl+Alt+[F1..F5] to get to one of them - login (as the same user running AC) - then do a
ps aux|grep _client
Find the proper line and PID (process identifier) (2nd column) describing the AC process and then do (example, numbers will be different for you):
foo@bar:~$ ps aux|grep _client
foo      2696 74.1  4.6 481816 189216 pts/0   Rl+  12:13   0:11 /home/foo/Games/AC/1.1.0.4/bin_unix/linux_64_client --home=/home/foo/.assaultcube_v1.1 --init
foo      2729  0.0  0.0  12756   856 pts/1    S+   12:14   0:00 grep --color=auto _client
foo@bar:~$ kill -9 2696
Once that process has been killed you can return to your desktop - depending on OS this is at Ctrl+Alt+ F6 or F7, or maybe even F8. Sometimes the resolution may have been botched, and often the mouse will be unresponsive - this is either fixed by a run-and-quit of a cube-engine .. or indeed by a restart - but it'd be enough to restart your X-session. On Gnome the system-menu can be reached via Alt+F1 .. then use your keyboard to get to a logout button - you might have direct access to some restart/logout/..-options by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del .. it depends on which OS/screenmanager (and version thereof) you're running. Learn to use your box, that's what makes *nix so different from Windows - it's documented and fully-configurable .. not a blackbox-system that gives you empty error-messages and no way to cure stuff other than rebooting :-P
Thanks given by:
Geez, just use
killall linux_client
or, of course, in case it's completely frozen
killall -s SIGKILL linux_client
Thanks given by: