Poll: Do you support a AC port for iOS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
81.58%
31 81.58%
No
18.42%
7 18.42%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you want a iOS AC Port?
Hello Cubers!

Me and a couple of fellow coders are looking for a project for iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad). We are thinking of working on porting AssaultCube to iOS (ok, we started and finished a few things already) so that iOS has a decent FPS and makes cube engine look pretty good, not to mention advertise AC :D However, I was asking around and got quite a few mixed reviews. The original Cube has been ported to iOS so it is proven possible, but it isn't that great. We are planning to make the look and feel of AC 1.1 in iOS as close to the computer version. However, a few things can't be done. Here is a list of pros and cons:

Pros:
*Portable version of AC that can be played anywhere
*More "advertising" for AC
*Nice FPS for iOS
*Less hackers due to the app only being able to be downloaded/installed via Apple App Store (even if source is available)
*Gives me something to do besides troll and flame :D

Cons:
*Portability factor makes the whois command pretty much useless (constantly moving people will have a different IP address everytime)
*Screenshots and demos can't be downloaded and saved (until we figure it out or you jailbreak your device because you can't access the app files)
*Commands and keybinds are almost impossible
*6-"keys"+Accelerometer

Options:
*Seperate Masterserver

Vote and give me your input pl0x!

Thanks,
JGAN
Thanks given by:
Yes.
Port AssaultCube to everything, including your microwave oven.
Thanks given by:
(26 Nov 10, 07:09PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Yes.
Port AssaultCube to everything, including your microwave oven.

I love this veeman^

Porting FTW. Make it the most ported game in the world. :D
Thanks given by:
While your at it, you might want a challenge. Can you port it to my mobile phone as well? Or perhaps the iPod nano 3rd gen?
I like the idea. Could provide some funding if people bought it.
Thanks given by:
@v-man will try that :3

@reagan idk highly doubt it. i suspect that ac is already pushing the limits on controls and graphics (gibs are being kept to the bare minimum) and idk how the jar files and code work for phones. im only good with objective-c and c (though my peers know more languages and code then me) :P sorry
Thanks given by:
Remember to give all the money you make selling it to the DEVS of AC.
Thanks given by:
@OpenSource uh well we are hoping to get you guys to fund us so we can apply for a registered developer license and add the final product to the app store as a freebie XD
Thanks given by:
Aha :)
The jump over my post pls. ;)
Thanks given by:
[offtopic]lol opensource i just realized your name is "DES|OpenSource and you are talking about selling AC XD[/offtopic]
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the off topic.

lol, opensouce was a name i didnt see in this great game thats opensource - so why not use it.

I didnt know there was free apps on «appstore» (or what ever its called).

So if you can make it happen thats some good and strong kudos points for you.
Thanks given by:
@opensource fun to know and ty :)

@whoever voted no why?
Thanks given by:
hey this is not a bad idea :) im about to buy a Ipod Touch 4G on the boxing day
few questions:
1. if the device was jailbreak, then what is the point of charging you money...
2. wi-fi is not everywhere u_u. i just found out that my school shut down wi-fi.... even tho you have internet access on ur iOS, what do you do about lag?
3 iOS vs PC?
Thanks given by:
@pwned:

1. what? lol

2. kicking ftw, though 3g/4g can be used on iphones and ipads and works extremely well :)

3. what (again)? see below

just a heads up: the program will probably take 4-12 months to write, depending on if we can figure out how to integrate the hud soon. none of us have experience with that :/
Thanks given by:
iOS vs PC would not be very fair fight. That is what he is trying to say.
Thanks given by:
@reagan oh ok ty. let me answer that:

(26 Nov 10, 07:01PM)JGAN Wrote: Options:
*Seperate Masterserver

i suppose we should do that, but i have no ability to host one. idk i thought it would be fun to have them all on the same masterserver. i guess for now i will run it on a mod protocol :S
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 03:08AM)JGAN Wrote: @pwned:

1. what? lol

2. kicking ftw, though 3g can be used on iphones and ipads

3. what (again)?
maybe i didnt explain clearly.
1. you know when you jailbreak it, everything you download is free? (IDK how does it works)
3. do you vs ppl on the computer when you on itouch or ipad... or the ppl on the same device?

EDIT: *&@^@ you guys types fast...
Thanks given by:
lol pwned... coders have to type fast :D :D

1. well even if you didnt jailbreak it it is still free. yay for opensource...? (pay me!!!!!) anyways, jailbreaking would enable you to access the applications files and probably download demos/screenshots and get them to your computer. without being jailbroken, idk how to do that :/

3. As stated before, mod protocol. wait, what is the mod protocol? shit... xP

* JGAN feels n00b :S
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 03:21AM)JGAN Wrote: lol pwned... coders have to type fast :D :D

1. well even if you didnt jailbreak it it is still free. yay for opensource...? (pay me!!!!!) anyways, jailbreaking would enable you to access the applications files and probably download demos/screenshots and get them to your computer. without being jailbroken, idk how to do that :/

i dont really know about jailbreak that much. all i know is that you press a button and it is done for you already :) and everything (app) is free...
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 03:56AM)pwned Wrote:
(27 Nov 10, 03:21AM)JGAN Wrote: lol pwned... coders have to type fast :D :D

i dont really know about jailbreak that much. all i know is that you press a button and it is done for you already :) and everything (app) is free...

http://jailbreakme.com/ :D
Thanks given by:
Mod protocol is the negative of the protocol. Find this in protocol.cpp or more likely, protocol.h.
Thanks given by:
Additionally, you'll want your mod protocol to be different from a mod protocol of the same version to a different platform like, oh, I don't know, Playstation 3...
Thanks given by:
Vote No against Macfags Apple!

Support open source platforms, damn it!
[Image: jobs%20gates%20web%20apps_thumb_1.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd say a stolen, jailbroken iPhone is as good an open-source platform as any.
Ooh, and Arduino!
My personal aspiration is to port Assaultcube to PSP before it becomes too obsolete. XD
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 05:01PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: I'd say a stolen, jailbroken iPhone is as good an open-source platform as any.
Not when Apple can brick your phone :p

Thanks given by:
I voted no because
1. You can say whatever you want, but a touchscreen is useless for playing an FPS game
2. (insert Drakas's posts)
3. I don't have any i* thing. The question was 'Do you support', so why should I vote yes?
Thanks given by:
@drakas i just dont get it... i just dont get it. x_x

@tempest well the ipad is actually pretty nice for playing cube. except you get <30 fps :/
Thanks given by:
Aren't there tricks to sever Apple's icy grip on "your" product?
Thanks given by:
We already discussed jailbreaking V-Man.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 05:23PM)Drakas Wrote:
(27 Nov 10, 05:01PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: I'd say a stolen, jailbroken iPhone is as good an open-source platform as any.
Not when Apple can brick your phone :p
So, can Apple brick a jailbroken iPhone or not?
Thanks given by:
Can or can not, at least they are actively trying to do so. I think I read a warning about the latest update somewhere, that it would brick any phones jailbreaked through a leak in the UMTS chip.
Thanks given by: