Start menu? good idea or not?

what the title says really?

would it be a good idea that when the game loads up it has a screen with the options instead of the game starting in a map?

not sure how easy this would be to program though.
just an idea, of course.
Thanks given by:
AC doesn't currently provide any useful features that do not make use of the engine at startup. Assuming you made a startscreen, anything you might want to do(Play multiplayer, play against bots, make a map, etc.) will require the engine to be loaded. So there's no sense in delaying the engine when it will be loaded when you choose what you want to do.

As for loading a map, I believe it takes ~1 second to load on my pc and about 0.1 seconds on my mac. I doubt delaying that really provides any benefit.
Thanks given by:
hmmm...true.

Thanks given by:
Probably make a menu that fills the whole screen so it seems like you aren't in a map yet.
Thanks given by:
This would be extremely easy to configure (note the word "configure", not "code").

I asked a couple of years back as to if I could implement this and was turned down at the time, however, maybe opinions have changed since then?
Thanks given by:
The way Sauer does it is that it simple creates a new empty map in the background and instead of actually displaying that map, it just shows a full-screen background image and the menu.
Thanks given by:
It would be really nice. A professional touch to the game, IMHO.

* Andrez wants it *__*
Thanks given by:
I agree to the 'professional touch' argument in general.

Tough, with the random-start-map which was introduced lately, especially new players are gently forced/encouraged to get familiar with the full set of official maps by and by. In my opinion, a more professional look is less important than that.
Thanks given by:
If it's good enough for Quake to load a map while presenting a menu, then it's good enough for Assault Cube. It presents new users with an opportunity to try out movement/weapons and get an overall feel for maps. As a non-new user I couldn't care less, it takes all of about 2 micro-seconds for me to click the relevant menu options to get a game started.

I don't think it looks unprofessional either, I think it gives the illusion of being immersed in the game immediately, which perfectly underlines the fast-paced nature of the game.

Just my two cents worth.
Thanks given by:
Uhm, this is actually something I've started coding - I'm calling it 2Dpanels (working title) .. it might be used for the startup-menu, but I wasn't planning on it actually.
If we dropped the loading of a random (or preset-selected from official maps (as it was before)) and simply loaded an infinitessimaly small map the engine-startup could be considerably faster - the easiest, as has been said, would be to load an "empty world" and go from there.
The 2Dpanels will be used (in my current planning) for the serverbrowser and some editing features. I also have plans, but very vague still, about their usage in intermission, or rather when joining a new match - picking sides, initial weapon, etc.
Thanks given by:
I'm excited by this 2Dpanels idea, though still a little confused. How is this implemented? Would there be some kind of cubescript support to go along with it (as there should be)? Would this help support easier texture editing?
Thanks given by:
I do love the idea of being able to do more things during intermission.

I should say, one of the things that really attracted me to AssaultCube after I first tried it out was that, once you start it up, you are in-game and ready to go -- I clicked my mouse button and bullets came out! I didn't have to initialize anything.

Though... I probably would've gotten to know the game faster if there was a startup menu, now that I think about it.
I actually looked all over the game folders and default files for a tutorial of sorts. I'd like one of those in the startup menu in the future. :D
Thanks given by:
There already is a tutorial in SVN afaik.
Thanks given by:
^^yes
^^
Thanks given by:
'course. "adding demo tutorial, huge thanks to Gibstick, Bukz and those who played this demo!"
Thanks given by:
* V-Man feels left out
gg Bukz, Gibbeh.
Thanks given by:
Dont worry, not just you V-Man.
Thanks given by: