AC 1.1 map killing
I'm fairly confused at the new restrictions on maps. The whole ceiling restriction, the flags too close restriction, and the not too big of a map restriction doesn't really make sense to me. So what if there are really huge maps with reallyyyyy long drops? don't play on them. does it really hurt anyone? and the gema maps. those were a nice break from shooting, and were fun puzzles. Why take those away? what is the point to the restrictions? i love assault cube, but this really doesn't make any sense to me, and it irritates me. No more maps like twin towers, headshot city, or skyscraper city. those were fun, and great. but nope, they aren't allowed anymore. great. thanks for that.
Thanks given by:
These maps(TwinTowers, Ezjemville, etc.) wrecked the game engine. Cube is not meant for large open spaces and each of the maps you mentioned is essentially one large open space. In a game meant to be run on old hardware, maps that disregard the engine limitations and put unnecessary strain on player's machines cannot be allowed.

On a side note, those maps are also a magnet for poor player behavior. The cheaters, the spammers, the TKers, and all their friends are drawn to these maps like moths, perhaps because they lack respect for the game and the community and the maps lack respect for the engine.

As for gemas, it is possible to create one without exceeding the map restrictions if you're clever enough. If such a map existed I'd see no reason to block it, but perhaps create a gema mode.
Thanks given by:
alright that sounds a little more understandable. thank you!
Thanks given by:
I started play on Ezjemvill on Hanze servers and i'm proud of it.
If assaultcube was only serious maps and serious player , i'm sure that i wouldn't play it and i will not be the only one.

I play assaultcube to lauth in first , for example ask to DeathStar or Macadress about my last funny map...(on 1.1 of course)
Thanks given by:
wow i made so many good maps in my old ac days are they gone now?
Thanks given by:
Quote:wow i made so many good maps in my old ac days are they gone now?
Well, they should be in your map folder in 1.04 or whatever version you made them in :D.
/offtopic I got a few lost maps of mine back today, THANKS DYSTOPIA <3
Thanks given by:
i understand that the engine requires certain things but this is starting to annoy me.

in the next upgrade i think u should be notified as soon as something u do on ur map makes it un playable... and make it easy to fix.

obviously there will always be requisites for maps but it would be nice if the editor was more friendly. simply saying large open space is pretty fag and i don't want to check every ceiling cube on a sky map to see if one is raised up to high.....

AC cube kicks ass and one major reason is that we can edit maps to play on easily.
the easier we can make playable maps will add to the quality of gameplay and on an evolving playing field.
Thanks given by:
Read the docs and use your brains. ;)

But seriuosly, there should be some feeback given in case the map does not fullfill the standards, in order to give mappers an instant hint about what's gone wrong. Though, I guess this will only work on saving or proceeding a check-routine or something...

Viva la Restricción!
Thanks given by:
Create is hard. I think that create with no restriction is poorless. It's done nothing. The more restrictions you have, the more your work is good.

That's why i am not interesting in "real assault mod".

So, as floppy says, "viva la restriction"
Thanks given by:
You guys never maked an original map?
Thanks given by:
(30 Oct 10, 09:26AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Viva la Restricción!

Quote:maprot error: map 'ac_bunker' does not satisfy some basic requirements

:/
Thanks given by:
I understand , some map are banned, i understand to see all server with ezjemvill, and maps like this is boring, when i wanted to play seriously.

But i think, give to much restriction to the game kill the game too... because now, when you will want to have fun on shitty map, you can't... i made ac_parachute, it was an experimental map as ac_moon, and we can't play it anymore... it was fun in 0.92 to play on this type of shite sometime, and it make difference with just official maps servers!

I think when there is shitty maps servers, it give good advisory to all people who creat official maps servers, or serious map, it give them credibilty if you compare to other shitty servers...
Thanks given by:
@jamz:

I may have a look into my older maps and fix them next time as far as this will be possible. Now it's ac_fracht (I doubt I can fix this one) and ac_bunker that I know of. However, I consider this "collateral damage" and don't mind it to be honest.

And so, yes... Viva la Restricción!
Thanks given by:
I agree with my left nut.

Why ban maps, or place restrictions on what is possible? I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you don't like a map then just dont play it. It's that simple.
All that these restrictions do is restrict possibilities, resulting in there being less variety and less originality in the maps that are playable in the new version. They restrict fun.
Thanks given by:
Quorthon. You are too late. Way too late. It's not simple like that, if it was that simple, we wouldn't have the restrictions. It's not your fault not to know the history of map-quality-discussions, but it's going to be your fault if you won't accept that you can't argue on a par with longterm members on this very issue.

Have a look at the very first and last chapters of this article if you're seriously interested in this discussion.

Thanks given by:
In the future I believe we will lighten the restrictions...
The main reason to keep these restrictions so hardly now is to change the old paradigm: "if people want to play shit, then make them happy". This is not right, since the devs work hard to create a game with some minimum quality standards.

Also, I must confess I love to play ezjem (and other weird maps), but it is necessary now to force the people to produce/play more high quality maps (it was very sad to open the 1.0 client and saw half of the servers playing Fun House, Twin Towers, and Head shot city).

I really expect people be able to understand this. It is a minor sacrifice for a greater purpose.
Thanks given by:
im all for quality maps bro but we need instant feed back as to as "you just edited something that made this map unplayable.

im all for quality gameplay too and letting the playa create the map really increases the quality and funness of this game.

everyone know playing the samee old maps gets old.

i think a lot of the issues i am having are coming down to open space and other vagueness in the requirements...

don't get me wrong as i love this game and am not here to argue. i'm just saying for myself to really make some fun and nice looking maps... i need to be very aware of exactly the restrictions and when part of my map goes over the playable line.
Thanks given by:
Really, the burden is on anyone who disagrees with the devs. I don't have anything against dissension -- I think it is a sign of a healthy discussion -- but the fact that you (ambiguously, anyone who does) disagree and maybe even have good reasons for disagreeing does not mean that the game needs to bend itself to user ideals. It is its own game.
If you want maps that don't fit the hard-coded delimited boundaries of what AssaultCube can allow, the solution is not to pout and/or give great speeches about tyranny and the evils of artistic suppression; the solution is to become a developer yourself and make a branch of AssaultCube that fits your ideals.
So basically:
All the people who are not willing or able to learn a good programming language and put a great deal of time and effort into branching AssaultCube don't have the right to expect the game to contain their preferences.
Also, I'll finally take the initiative and put the "instant feedback" idea in the "ideas" thread, where it belongs.
Thanks given by:
(31 Oct 10, 04:57AM)9/11=insideJOB Wrote: im all for quality maps bro but we need instant feed back as to as "you just edited something that made this map unplayable.

I couldn't agree more.

(31 Oct 10, 06:37AM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Also, I'll finally take the initiative and put the "instant feedback" idea in the "ideas" thread, where it belongs.

Thank you, though I actually thought this was on Brahma's list already.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Brahma: Soon we will release the 1.1.0.4, and it will print the reason in your screen with the command /showmapstats
:) ty Devs!
Thanks given by: