COOP Game
I have a Windows XP Computer, and also an Ubuntu 10.04 computer. Neither of them have internet, and neither of them have any access to the internet. I do however have two serial cables, and an ethernet cord.

How do I set up these computers, from start to finnish, to do a two player COOP (with editing) game?

This would include installing assaultcube on Ubuntu, as I am used to .debian packages. (not for windows though, thats completed)
Thanks given by:
hmm... i think that all you have to do is install ac on both computers, connect them via ethernet cable, and then use one of them to run a LAN server. use server_wizard.bat (windows) or server_wizard.sh (linux)
Thanks given by:
Alright, I will try it.
Thanks given by:
Well, you can still do a LAN game. The serial cables are probably not going to be of any use unless ur configuring a router or something via COM ports.

First, if u don't have a router or WRG (Wireless residential Gateway), you will have to direct connect the two computers using an ethernet cable and statically assign the IP addresses (192.168.1.x) and setting the default gateways as well so they can talk. Use the machines you wanna talk to as the default gateways per machine.

PC1 (e.g: XP)
IP : 192.168.1.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2

PC2 (e.g: UBUNTU)
IP : 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Install AC on XP (Easy)
Install AC on Ubuntu -> Download either a subversion of AC with the svn command : "svn co https://actiongame.svn.sourceforge.net/s...actiongame actiongame" or the AC source and run the shell scripts.

Read about setting up the server (servercommandline.txt) to enable coop functionality as well as other features. Its just adding e (normal) or E (admin access) on the -P permission switch.

That should be it. Start game, connect via LAN and vote map in coop
Thanks given by:
Don't use SVN for normal use. It will probably be incompatible with the 1.1.0.3 client soon, even if protocol is the same.
Thanks given by:
Quote:hmm... i think that all you have to do is install ac on both computers, connect them via ethernet cable, and then use one of them to run a LAN server. use server_wizard.bat (windows) or server_wizard.sh (linux)
nope, didn't work.
Quote:Well, you can still do a LAN game. The serial cables are probably not going to be of any use unless ur configuring a router or something via COM ports.

First, if u don't have a router or WRG (Wireless residential Gateway), you will have to direct connect the two computers using an ethernet cable and statically assign the IP addresses (192.168.1.x) and setting the default gateways as well so they can talk. Use the machines you wanna talk to as the default gateways per machine.

PC1 (e.g: XP)
IP : 192.168.1.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2

PC2 (e.g: UBUNTU)
IP : 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Install AC on XP (Easy)
Install AC on Ubuntu -> Download either a subversion of AC with the svn command : "svn co https://actiongame.svn.sourceforge.net/s...actiongame actiongame" or the AC source and run the shell scripts.

Read about setting up the server (servercommandline.txt) to enable coop functionality as well as other features. Its just adding e (normal) or E (admin access) on the -P permission switch.

That should be it. Start game, connect via LAN and vote map in coop
will try it.
Thanks given by:
If you're connecting two computers together directly, don't forget you'll need a crossover cable if neither device has auto MDI/MDI-X. :)
Thanks given by:
Would it be possible to go without one?
Thanks given by:
Wireless ad-hoc network, maybe?
Thanks given by:
I use a router I scrounged out of a garbage can. It doesn't need internets to link two computers together, just some ethernet cables.
Thanks given by:
Um, no wireless on these two desktops. If normal ethernet won't work, would serial cables?
Thanks given by:
no, serial does not do anything with networking. it is more for small data transfer for printing and images.
Thanks given by:
(31 Oct 10, 11:30PM)JGAN Wrote: no, serial does not do anything with networking. it is more for small data transfer for printing and images.

Fun Fact:
Serial communications are used in enterprise routing due to less data loss. But of course it is NOT RS232, that is for configuring the router via console ports (Rollover cable).
Thanks given by:
I'm not joking, go dumpster dipping (diving is dangerous) behind a computer shop. You'll likely find an outdated router that will "serve" you well. :D
If dumpsters aren't your thing, look for a router in a second-hand shop.
Thanks given by:
AC runs on slows computers/old 56K modems. serial cables are for small data transfer, could I set them up for AC?

or would it be possible to set up a COOP game via phone cables?
Thanks given by:
Funner Fact: JGAN is a dumbass :D sorry
Thanks given by:
(01 Nov 10, 08:17PM)JGAN Wrote: Funner Fact: JGAN is a dumb*** :D sorry

And why did you post that? Did you think it was funny? I liked JGAN's post about it.
Thanks given by:
Funnnnnnnnier fact:
DaGeek247 has almost 0 reading comprehension.
Thanks given by:
Um, actually I do. Why are you pplz being so mean?
Thanks given by:
JGAN wrote: ... JGAN is a dumb***

back on topic guys...
How's it going DaGeek247? What have you tried? (Forget about the serial cables)
Thanks given by:
lolol at V-Man, thats the way to go bro :D
DaGeek you may need a router. the router has to be turned on also. go to a second-hand store and buy a router with several ports. when you buy internet, then you don't need to buy another router. i don't believe just one Ethernet cable worked when i tried this last. the data transfer needs a medium of electricity, and the router is that medium. the electrical current is how the data is transferred. if that doesn't work i will try to find another way for it to work for you.
Thanks given by: