Same old, same old

Maps, why bother.
All that work and the asshats just want to play endless rounds of Shine and that pile of crap douze because it’s easy scoring and the poor little f*****s cant get lost.
AC has had some brilliant maps made and who plays them……….hardly anyone.
Jamz has at least tried to give a varied map rotation but most server owners won’t lock the new maps in because they are too worried about players leaving to go and play more Shine and douche (did I spell that right ? )

I realize now that I was dreaming but I thought having moderated servers to stop the crap maps from being played ad nausea might have meant at least a few server operators would venture out of the 5/6 “popular” maps and put on something different………fat chance. Talk about conservative.
So, tell me, why should anyone bother making maps if they don’t get played?
Thanks given by:
http://www.randumkiwi.co.nz/weta

Weta only allows maps listed on this page.
Thanks given by:
idk from which side server owners take this matter.

but from outside doesnt look good for some isnt. anyhow, ppl likes to get used to new maps and the server owner get players, and that gonna happend whether or not you think it. maybe is not the owner intention but much people that comes into ac basically start having two choices, the crappy lame maps of random servers, with 20/20 laggy wqd and fps drop, or the common maps that all we know.

i'd suggest something like weekly maprot so by a little give 4 different maprots making that work in a month, so after start another month repeat the maprot, and so on.

from seeing in other games how this happened i can say at start may suck cause you dont know the maps and you get lost easily. and if someone know it already and is on the opposite team it gonna become a mess.

but that's the game about, i agree seeing there's much maps around without getting used.

i'd like to say anything else but i dont know what the owners may say.

just that you right, and hope random maps get so know as the common we see everyday.
Thanks given by:
/connect eur.acka.tk
Thanks given by:
it would be good if servers that are getting lots of traffic/players coming in to start pushing a few custom maps..
instead of having all custom, 1 or 2, maybe 3 will make it easier for players and less complaining, though i would play in servers that i like no matter what map really
Thanks given by:
what alot of people fail to see or even fail to understand that there are even official maps (with 0 lag, hence why they are official) that go unplayed (when was the last time you played ac_keller on a public server people?)
the fact is, most players choice a map in which they can score a flag often and gather some ratios while doing so, this happens more then normal on ladder servers because users wish to maintain a certain score to reflect their playing skill (which is false advertisement if you ask me)
there are only a handful of maps that are getting played on the popular servers (just so happens that they are ladder servers)
even if they have this nice fancy maprot, its not being used much cause of the votes being passed every other game for ac_shine, ac_power, ac_somethingtogetagoodflagscoreon

its rather sad really to see even official maps get the back seat just because its a slower paced map, whats the point of so much time working on getting a map to the official standards if when it is loaded you got whiners who say "this map sucks" when in reality they mean "this map is nice, but i suck and can't score a decent amount of flags for my ladder scores"

yes, i went there
Thanks given by:
Quote:even if they have this nice fancy maprot, its not being used much cause of the votes being passed

Thats why there is a 'vote' no? so people can play what they like by way of majority rules. I hate servers with voting maps disabled. No I dont give a rats ass about ladder score, just having a good time.

Tipper Im sad to hear you all made huge convoluted maps and it would seem noone wants to play them, so learn what makes shine, power & douze good, read 'popular' maps and adapt.

If people like Coke & you are selling pepsi, then its a bad day for you.
Thanks given by:
Bullpup, step outside of your box and look at the other servers that don't run a ladder and look at the success of maps there, unlucky for them, the ladder servers are full nearly all the time and the others simply are not, this is a community that defines it self on scores and what better way to do that then a few fast paced, easy to score, nade spamming maps
(hence why hunt the flag on ac_desert isn't allowed anymore, cause of the people misusing it to get more points, quicker)
maps are official for a reason, because they are playable (less likely to lag), fit the theme of assault cube, balanced, and enjoyable, get out there and play something you haven't 1,000 times before, who knows, you might like it if you ACTUALLY give it a try

read into what servers are being played and what maps are being played on those servers then look at the users who vote those maps, i can promise you the vast majority are high ranked on the ladders :)

The key to change... is to let go of fear
(yes, again i am referring to the fear of a bad ratio or not enough flags to maintain your ladder score)
Thanks given by:
Ladders could well implement some kinda way to "standardise" scores across map, so basically if on average total flags scored on map A is 20 and on another harder map B 10, you get twice the points for scoring in map B. You could apply this to all stats (i.e. maps where you get generally less frags they are worth mote) and even individual teams to make up for slight possible imbalances (arid pops in my mind for some reason).

EDIT: I'd actually be happy to see ladder owners offer "incentives" to play on less popular maps (extra points or whatever). If you can make all the ladder whores push for customs and rarely played maps, IMO everyone will be better off. My two cents anyway.
Thanks given by:
thats actually not a bad idea JMM and i wouldn't mind seeing such a thing happen, might make those harder flags to score worth an effort
Thanks given by:
Quote:when it is loaded you got whiners who say "this map sucks" when in reality they mean "this map is nice
lol and i thought this thread will be boring reading :P I probably understand all bans and restrictions now. :D

Thanks given by:
Very nice idea JMM, I would love to see that implemented. Can't count how many times I have gone into a game on CTF ac_gothic with someone at the top with a 5.0 ratio and 12 flags. Don't get me wrong, these maps are fun at time but I feel I am repeating myself as it needs alot more variation with larger maps, of course only if say 10+ players are in. Variation is key.
Thanks given by:
halo can you give me some maprot configs for less played official maps?

infact any body on this forum should you wish you see particular maps/mods send them to me and im happy to put them on a server, you will also be mentioned for the help.

i find this abit hard to do, mixing modes and maps not knowing the best combinations /player numbers, any help will be returned by having your suggestions in a server :-)
Thanks given by:
Two SVN maps are now playable on |NZ| servers:

svn_industrial_rev1
svn_edifice_rev1
Thanks given by: