Lagging and eventual hang
Assault cube plays fine on my laptop initially. However until several months back till now. It slows down after a while, and start lagging gradually until it became unplayable and eventually hang.
I don't know what cause the problem. Was fine when I started playing AC last year. It is not Internet connection problem, and is something to do with AC as lagging persist even after I disconnect from server.

What I have already did to try to solve the problems:
1.Virus scan
2.I have updated vista home premium to SP1
3.I have installed the latest v1.1.0.3 of assault cube
4.I have no other programs running on the background (but AC behave like there is, that is after a while of playing) - I have to reboot, play for a while, then reboot again to play

Thanks given by:
Does the same happen to 1.0.4?
Thanks given by:
I thought that the latest stable version is v.1.1.0.3:
http://assault.cubers.net/download.html

Which is slightly better than earlier version but not as it used to.
I am thinking that this is a windows problem. If I factory restore my laptop, it will probably run well again, but I would not want to do that.

Anyone encounter the similar problem?
Thanks given by:
No... you are the only one to report this issue as far as I know.
Thanks given by:
Is it a network lag or system lag? If system, I suspect maybe the hard drive is on it's way to heaven. How long have you had this laptop? Have you dropped it?
Maybe a defrag'll speed things up.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 05:16PM)eynstyne Wrote: Is it a network lag or system lag? If system, I suspect maybe the hard drive is on it's way to heaven. How long have you had this laptop? Have you dropped it?
Maybe a defrag'll speed things up.

Laptop since 2007. Core 2 Duo T5500. It is System lag. Never dropped it.

What I have already did to try to solve the problems:
1.Virus scan
2.I have updated vista home premium to SP1
3.I have installed the latest v1.1.0.3 of assault cube
4.I have no other programs running on the background (but AC behave like there is, that is after a while of playing) - I have to reboot, play for a while, then reboot again to play
5: De fragmented
Thanks given by:
If it is a hardware issue, it is time to check this with the authorized tech service.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 06:29PM)Brahma Wrote: If it is a hardware issue, it is time to check this with the authorized tech service.

Hardware is fine. Software issue.
Thanks given by:
Are you able to check the laptop temperature?
Thanks given by:
Hey wassup i hate lag too
Thanks given by:
"It slows down after a while, and start lagging gradually until it became unplayable and eventually hang."

This sounds like a heat issue to me. Try a diffrent 3D game and see if it develops the same problems.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, how to check laptop temperature. Possible as my laptop can get really hot. How to cool laptop? Suggestion?

Now trying: I lifted up my laptop with two 9V batteries, fan it and going to try playing again.
Thanks given by:
get either coretemp to measure CPU temp, or get HWMonitor which will approximate temperature of hdd, video card, and cpu

You can also query this info from your BIOS.
Thanks given by:
I've seen special cooling beds for laptops in a store recently. Just see if it shows the same symptoms with other graphic-intense apps/games, that will be a sure sign to tell if it's a heat issue.
Thanks given by:
If its a heat problem you could also try to dust the fan.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 08:32PM)Robtics Wrote: If its a heat problem you could also try to dust the fan.

Good idea, I cannot feel any blowing from the vent. Going to open up my laptop tomorrow and try to dust the fan.
Thanks given by:
I've had lagging problems with AC before (not ever bombing though). Unfortunately when I am 1v1ing. I know this is a machine side lag problem, and haven't had it for awhile now (maybe coinciding with a newer release, idk). As brahma suggests, my HDD maybe on its way to heaven, I have had other evidence to suggest that. But I guess I'm not the only one with the problem.
Thanks given by:
Speedfan is a good program to monitor your temperatures. Using the "chart" tab would help you the best in this case.
Thanks given by:
I just downloaded a free racing game and it has no problem. - Need for speed world.

Assault cube has been the only free game on my laptop.

Thanks guys! However, I do think that this is cause by heat. I just cleaned the fan and removed some dust. Lifted up my laptop slightly with two 9 volts batteries and used a small electric fan to blow the bottom and back of my laptop's air vent. That really improved the performance.
Thanks given by: