Parkour Mode
Interesting – this is my first useful information on what GEMA actually entails; back in the day (~=2009) I kept asking what GEMA even means, never got any real answer - everybody (that I heard) was just convinced that it was ruining the intention of the game.
During some idle chatting with driAn (2021) I got the impression GEMA is probably somewhat like what I have gotten to know as PARKOUR. Said I could take a crack at it and thus the branch was created. When I came by the GEMA discord you promised me to post on the forum; now that you've delivered - thanks! - we can get this process rolling!

Regarding Safe/Save-Points: having a command that resets your safety-counter is no problem - think
/setsafe 0
and then
/suicide
.. the setsafe wouldn't allow to set it higher than it currently is, we could add a memory of highest counter reached then you could .. I dunno .. fall back to "help a friend" (??) and then reset yourself back to the progress level you've reached yourself and continue along the map. We should be clear about why someone would want to reset their safe-counter .. maybe suicide isn't the right method - you'd lose a frag counter each time .. so: why would one fall back on the progress already made?

Regarding spawnstate (nades): I haven't changed anything regarding spawnstate yet, in some videos I saw rooms filled with all sorts of pickups - for one thing we could make pickups permanent in the gema and parkour modes. Maybe clever use of entity attributes could allow us to provide individualised spawnstates .. per map or per spawn .. I'm thinking aloud here, not a clear plan in my mind, just ideas.

Regarding deadly-water: I saw some pits in some gema videos, thought this could make them be actually dangerous; the AC engine won't let us have both kinds in one map, but a flag in the map header could be set to toggle water to be deadly or regular, sure!

Regarding Goal: no waiting, no. the current parkour idea is: you spawn at one place, make your way over the obstacles/traps which gives you points at certain places and sometimes even saves a safe-place you've reached. You reach the goal: The End. (and..the time you've taken is output on the console). The scoring with flags approach is a repeat-run thing, yes?

Regarding previous GEMA maps: the parkour entity "trigger" was previously unused, it is a relic from the time of single-player Cube maps and was kept in during the development of the bot path-finding; making use of these mechanics would require new maps. As far as I know the GEMA community is currently using regular clients and servers - or, rather: at least one modified server; whatever those server modifications are/do would need to be implemented into the source of an upcoming release, then those maps would work as they always did; new maps could make use of the triggers if they want. And whatever we can come up with :-)

Regarding other GEMA needs:
1) no weapon damage – yeah, I thought so; that's not really difficult, but to be sure: explosions are still meant to give you a push!
2) perma-pickups .. that's easy
3) immaterial players .. should be easy enough
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Parkour Mode - by driAn - 20 Apr 21, 08:26AM
RE: Parkour Mode - by sukablya - 20 Apr 21, 10:22AM
RE: Parkour Mode - by Marti - 20 Apr 21, 12:24PM
RE: Parkour Mode - by DaBigNerd - 20 Apr 21, 07:40PM
RE: Parkour Mode - by Felix-The-Ghost - 21 Apr 21, 12:43AM
RE: Parkour Mode - by |HEAD|ShtMeShtU - 23 Apr 21, 10:10AM
RE: Parkour Mode - by driAn - 23 Apr 21, 05:13PM
RE: Parkour Mode - by Iguana - 23 Apr 21, 07:31PM