Determine what files are client side or server side
Thing is, if we thought, it would be a good idea to distribute the current master version, we would have released it ourselves. If you just pick any version from the repository and start distributing it, you really need to know what you're doing.

You should keep in mind, that most players who run into some problems end up in our IRC channel. Once I notice, that someone is not using our release, I'll advise to reinstall from our package - simply, because I will not provide support for someone elses release - no matter if it was created from our repository. Anyone who uses your version does not know how you created it - or that it is not the original version - and therefore, when asking for help, will not tell us upfront, that he is using some custom version. This will waste a lot of our time when we help players with problems.

If you do not use our released binaries, you need to label your package as "experimental" or something similar. (Also, on a sidenote, the media license does not allow distributing full packages with modified binaries.)

Of course, anyone can checkout master (or any other branch), compile it and play with it - even online, since the protocol ist still mostly compatible. But anyone who does this, knows that it's not the vanilla release version - and will mention it while seeking help.

Feel free to read some reported problems (on the forum or on github, for example). You will notice, that, for whatever reason, most players try to tell as little as possible about their setup (and the problem itself). Every new different version that is distributed, adds to that problem.

Btw, right now, there is no newer version in the repository that i would recommend to be distributed. If you want to test new stuff, use "next" - and if you just want to play, use the released 1.2.0.2.

The "master" branch is mostly stale - and may not even build properly on newer systems, as you have noticed. Fixing that would be easy, but still be a waste of time, since there will be no more releases from "master". The next release will be based on "next".
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Determine what files are client side or server side - by stef - 10 Feb 17, 04:41PM