Determine what files are client side or server side
(22 Jan 17, 07:11PM)stef Wrote: a) a lot of files are used by both server and client. Packaging server and client separately would require you to double the files - and therefore to waste space.

b) please read the AssaultCube License. You are not allowed to add or remove files during repackaging. Sorry.

c) it's impossible to package a client that would not also work as a server. It's just the way it is.

If you really want to package a server, the first step would be to create a script and a setup that would allow "installed" binaries to properly run a server in the first place. Current packages (like deb) horribly fail in that department. Hint: for the most recent release version 1.2, you will probably have to use the client binary to run the server. Or wait for the next version...

First of all, thank you for taking your time for response. Let me clarify some points and raise new questions:

a) I did not clarify well here, sorry. When I meant to not waste space is as server only. Suppose you have a little PC (Raspberry Pi for example) and you want to run a server on there. The current situation requires to install the hole game, that is around 50 MB. It's not really a problem, but it occupies more space than it should.

b, c) Ok, so instead to do two separate packages I will do only one package with all the files and no exclusions. But I have some new problems. Every snap app don't depend on other packages and must include inside all dependencies to run. Currently I'm including: libgl1-mesa-dri, libsdl1.2debian, libsdl-image1.2, zlib1g, libgg0, libvorbis0a, libopenal inside a usr directory in the root of the project. That could be a problem? If there are problems here I won't be able to publish the package.

Also to be able to launch the client I need a new client launcher (And probably a new server launcher but I haven't focused on it yet). Given that I cannot add more files, the only approach would be to modify the current launcher. To clarify, it just sets one variable and adds a logic to skip the dependencies check in the system when in snap enviroment (Given that the package already contains the dependencies on it). Those changes don't break anything. Would you accept that changes in a PR?

If any of the above is not allowed, I think the only way to publish AssaultCube as a snap package is directly package and publish it by the AC team and that would be great.
Thanks given by: 1Cap

Messages In This Thread
RE: Determine what files are client side or server side - by Nicky - 22 Jan 17, 08:34PM