What would you actually like to see in AC?
(27 May 15, 10:08AM)Undead Wrote: i've made a few changes here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/75zb35...gz6/ac.rar

depot only really requires a change to the tunnels, of which i have a (very) rudimentary and controversial solution that would certainly require a bit of playtesting.

douze is just a few fixes to remove all of the bullcrap angles and spawns.

i've fixed the clutter, lighting, and some of the ridiculous angles on ingress to make it more playable.

of course, i could continue to make these changes, but i'm not sure whether such changes are desired entirely. i'm aware of the associated licensing issues as well, but they shouldn't be particularly difficult to resolve should they come up. certain maps that aren't in the official package could be worked to official standard, as well as the less played maps (like arabian, aqueous, iceroad(the rework has a heap of problems that nobody else seems to have identified besides me. i could fix it (properly this time) but it would be rather time consuming), etc)

I can't really check your work atm but you're right - adding bad quality maps would be as detrimental as not adding maps whatsoever. I think very few maps in the official package are beyond hope in terms of being fixed, although as someone who barely understands how the mapping engine works in AC, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'll check out your rar in a few days when I'm home.
I think depot's gameplay is relatively unique, and while I personally dislike it and would like to see it fixed, I can understand how opinions would be relatively bisected on the matter of reworking the layout, since the map is hailed as being somewhat iconic throughout AC history. However, for example, I can't see how anyone might possibly think that keeping the angles in ingress would be a good idea. Maybe your rework would even make the map playable in matches again...

I probably haven't playtested iceroad1.1 enough to identify (m)any of these issues you're describing. It would be nice to get more matches played on a wider variety of maps though, indeed. There's also multiple custom maps out there that play very well and could be suitable additions. I think the main problem with the idea of "patching new maps into the official package" would be establishing sufficient prerequisites a map would need to meet in order to qualify. Perhaps a council of developers and experienced players could work together and decide collectively, assuming any of this comes to fruition. Holding something like a public poll would not be a good idea, imo.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you actually like to see in AC? - by Vanquish - 27 May 15, 10:51PM