AC 1.3 or AC 2, Your Expectations and Estimations
(19 Oct 14, 03:47PM)stef Wrote: You obviously never played cube. Also, I'd still like to hear an example of a good sauer ctf map.

well, actually, i've played a decent amount of both cube and sauer. sauer is a completely different game to AC. i don't understand what you're trying to say. there are plenty of good maps in sauer that fit sauer's gameplay, even though i think that sauer's gameplay is terrible. lets say we were to implement AC in the cube2 engine (not that i would recommend doing that, as it wouldn't be a massive improvement over AC). it wouldn't be hard to code the game in such a way that it maintains the same movement, map size, etc. as in AC.

(19 Oct 14, 03:47PM)stef Wrote: There already is an AC fork, that merges everything from everywhere (the resulting discocube very much illustrates my point). Too bad, it's run by a juvenile asshole, who prefers to violate copyrights, so that he can pass his fork as an original game... (however: OT here)

that AC fork seeks to create an AC that isn't AC; it isn't maintaining the core gameplay that makes AC what it is. you're providing a very poor example.

off-topic: as far as i can tell, that fork isn't violating any copyrights in particular. correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't AC (and its media) come under fair use, provided it isn't used for profit? he isn't harming you in a legal sense. i'd like it if someone more knowledgeable can tell me exactly how he is breaking the law. even if it is off topic it is interesting.

(19 Oct 14, 03:47PM)stef Wrote: And no, a "pause" button does not fit the game...
i'm going to leave this here for emphasis. yes, people of AC, your eyes are not deceiving you, stef actually said that.

a new AC, making use of a new engine, that maintains AC's "core gameplay, would be the best thing for AC. this increases popularity and retains its current player-base. lets face it; the vast, vast, vast majority of people have access to computers that can run games far better than AC.
however; this requires both work and economic capital, of which the latter needs to be acquired by alternate means. i'm not going to get into a discussion surrounding that.

i think your main gripe is with AC losing its originality in creating a new AC; this isn't a problem if you know what you're doing. personally, i don't believe the developers have either the capability, the knowledge, or the vision, to do that, so i would be wary of them undertaking any project related to a new AC without heavily consulting with the people that know the game better than anyone.

as such, i would prefer to make small recommendations to begin to move AC in a better direction. it is probably that you haven't read my recommendations; considering in our last "discussion" you just completely ignored everything i said and then made generalized statements. seriously tho, read my solution to the map restrictions problem. it is rather similar to your solution but more elegant and refined in its application.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: AC 1.3 or AC 2, Your Expectations and Estimations - by Undead - 19 Oct 14, 04:45PM