The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC
(28 Mar 14, 12:43PM)ketar Wrote: Before trying to organize better some proposals, I have another question to the dev team. How do you organize your teamwork? I know it is all on a voluntary basis. But are there meetings? Do you schedule your interventions? Is there someone who decide goals and all? Is there a plan?

I see, that AC development - that means coding - doesn't function too well nowadays, own activity of developers is rather slight. But there was one excellent step of devs - moving AC to github. That helped to activate a few people from community (especially some ex-dev, which knowledge and feeling of AC engine and skills are invaluable ;)), which prepare pull requests with new commits, with bug fixes and new features (otherwise AC development would be almost dead currently).
Simple commits in pull requests are implemented by devs, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. But main problem is, that more advanced commits, which develop the game the most, are often implemented too slowly or not at all for long time. And in this second case there is no return information, whether they are to acceptance (or to rejection).

Example of more advanced commits: https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/pull/30 - many fixes related to physics, fix of sound bug, new features (tools for mappers: undo/redo in edit mode, map cleaner). Some commits in this pull request are from before 2 months, and nothing happened yet. Such lack of activity holds also sending other commits.
If some commit is too advanced, then the important part for devs should be, "do we want that feature" and "how can we test it" (and also imo there should be some confidence for some ex-dev, because of reasons mentioned above :)). That should be role of developers meetings. And later there should be enough the checking, whether changes are at the places, where the commit message says, if they are too difficult to complete understanding. Also remember, that commit is not set in stone - if it turns out, something was a bad idea or doesn't work right - it can be removed later with no problem.

In summary: developers meetings are needed to develop the game, and it looks, that they are missing nowadays. ;/
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC - by grenadier - 07 Apr 14, 09:19PM