The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC
You're right, 'fun' is subjective; some have fun being a teamkiller, a ratio whore, a camper, etc. I won't deny that ladders promote competition (although the basic default format always seems to reward longevity over performance), but (assuming CTF only) you're never going to ascend a ladder by getting between your flag guy and an opponent, or for holding out with the flag while your teammates try despairingly to return yours.
I won't deny that a good competitive player will always rank highly on ladders (for a similar amount of time played), but it irks me when I see highly skilled players in pubs concentrating on their ratio instead of getting flags or assisting their teammates in getting flags, and that's without it being a ladder server. If the reward is for individual performance, the temptation for some will be to prioritise this over their teammates.
At no point have I argued against ladders in this thread; only the official backing of them.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC - by jamz - 21 Mar 14, 09:03AM