Server Doesn't Work
Jg99 how will having a VPS solve this? You know some people like to know how servers actually work instead of relying on companies to do it all for them. I get really anoyed by your constant advertising on this forum, when i joined here i thought i was joining an open source community now with your constant adverts for hosting and VPS I may as well be on a microsoft board!
I dont have anything against VPS hosts if thats the way you want to go, they certainly make decent servers if you stick within the limits of their capability. But i also want to encourage people to run servers themselves, learn about hosting, learn about the game, maybe these people will be the next group of Devs to keep this game alive.

Note to Mods is such blatant advertising as above not banned on this forum, if not please can it be?

Now back on topic.

Josiah

You can check your external IP with this http://touch.whatsmyip.org/

You can check your port is open with this http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

Jack has given good advice, making your IP static is a great idea, you may need to set your router to reserve that IP only for your machine, and while you are there I would check the port forwarding rules as has already been sugested.
One last thing that often catches peope out, firewall on you machine. Some distros of Linux and all versions of Windows come with a built in one, Linux is quite easy to configure exceptions, Windows not so easy. Also if you have auto updates on, major security updates may cause your Windows firewall to loose its settings.
Try that and let us know how you get on.

Andy
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Server Doesn't Work - by Josiah - 01 Jan 12, 04:04AM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by X-Ray_Dog - 01 Jan 12, 04:12AM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by W@rr!0r - 03 Jan 12, 06:05PM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by Josiah - 04 Feb 12, 07:59PM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by Ronald_Reagan - 04 Feb 12, 10:35PM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by vonunov - 05 Feb 12, 03:02AM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by Jg99 - 05 Feb 12, 05:44AM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by RealViking - 05 Feb 12, 10:16AM
RE: Server Doesn't Work - by DES|Anderson - 05 Feb 12, 09:49AM