Where to start to learn mapping?
Hey guys I see some mappers get their feathers ruffled but I'm not modifying official maps and just now learned there are some maps with the cfg files that I don't fully understand. For example why put in lines like this:

mapmodel 1 8 0 0 "fencegate_closed" // 16

Whats the point if you've already placed the model somewhere in the game, whats this line REALLY doing in the cfg?

I just did this to fool around and add some pickups (and a kill box air conditioner) to an old map I liked that didn't have a .cfg

I have been looking through the command reference and just started looking at the mapping guide too. I'm not convinced I am interested in really making maps from scratch but if I do, I will definitely look you guys up. There are things I don't get (like the cfg file) and heightfields, slopes and arches. I guess the best thing to do is muck around in a blank map?

(17 Dec 11, 12:58AM).ExodusS* Wrote: ...

Dude, I seriously want to see and play on cavern and (whats the name of) the one prior to it that won a contest they look AWESOME. Where can I find them? Every map I've ever seen was a chance encounter server surfing to play!

Mod edit: please don't quote such long posts entirely :)

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Where to start to learn mapping? - by fscii - 15 Dec 11, 08:57PM
RE: Where to start to learn mapping? - by fscii - 17 Dec 11, 03:26PM